Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I have to say that third photos in your latest selection of Mons Meg running under the bridge is one of the best model railway photos I have see to date, absolutely fantastic.

Are you still using a Canon G12 to take your photos.

Regards

David

That is very kind of you David, and much appreciated. Yes, I'm still using the G12 - it has its drawbacks, but it is nevertheless a very good little camera, particularly for shots like that one. It's strange really, sometimes I take a series of shots, and they all look rather uninspiring to me, but now and then one jumps out at me when I have processed it, and that is what happened with that one under the bridge, so i'm very pleased that it struck a chord with you also. The other one I liked was the first one, which Cutler has commented on, thank you Derek. I've used that angle and background many times, but this one just came out better. Strange really, but I shan't complain. No doubt the next lot will now be ****.

Is it me, or does that 1st pic of Mons Meg portray a hint of rain? The heavy sky, the dust (?) on the roof of the Mk1 which somehow looks like rain bouncing on the roof? The lack of trainspotters, who have gone under the roof for shelter? If only the platform surface was a tad darker & glossy....

With pics like that, who on earth could prefer a GW BLT?    (grabs coat and runs for train)

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Is it me, or does that 1st pic of Mons Meg portray a hint of rain? The heavy sky, the dust (?) on the roof of the Kk1 which somehow looks like rain bouncing on the roof? The lack of trainspotters, who have gone under the roof for shelter? If only the platform surface was a tad darker & glossy....

With pics like that, who on earth could prefer a GW BLT?    (grabs coat and runs for train)

Stewart

Completely unintentional Stewart. I always forget to dust things!  What this image, and one or two others, says to me is that the major destroyer of realism in model railway photos is the people. Only one to be seen in this shot, well in the distance, and out of focus, so it doesn't detract at all. Of course people are essential on a layout like mine, so I just try to make sure that they aren't too conspicuous.

I recall dimly that Dave Shakespeare managed to do some images of Tetley's Mills with rain sheeting down, and they looked quite effective. I can't remember how he did it though, and of course the rain must only just have started, as there were no puddles to be seen, and the roofs were dry. Who'd want to do a layout which was forever wet and gloomy though?

Oh, Dominion of Canada looks great in those shots.  Being from Canada myself, I have a great liking for 60010.  I even have walked through the tender corridor before she was restored at the NRM and then sent back to her home.  Anytime you want to put her up on here it would be awesome.

Cheers,

William

Luverly bunch of photos there Gilbert. Those Thompson suburbans are looking swell (Comet or Fozzy?)...........I wonder how many folk presume they are Hornby :biggrin_mini2:?  I have kept all my Suburbans.

Me, for one!

• RMweb Premium

Aire Valley 1962,  Can agree about Dominion of Canada.  I actually bought two, one to run and one to sit in the box (for the future)

I agree. I have two too, but one is garter blue. Tom

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Luverly bunch of photos there Gilbert. Those Thompson suburbans are looking swell (Comet or Fozzy?)...........I wonder how many folk presume they are Hornby :biggrin_mini2:?  I have kept all my Suburbans.

The Thompsons were built by Ian Willets, Larry, using Comet sides, but very few, if any, other Comet parts. They were commissioned some years ago, when I, and no doubt many other people, thought that we'd never see anything like that RTR, let alone to the standard Hornby achieved. Dave Shakespeare also built some, not realising back then that some parts of the Comet kits, roof in particular, were wrong. He was not best pleased when a certain stabbing finger was pointed at his efforts, and his errors were explained. Both of us were a little miffed when Hornby announced theirs.

I've always liked them though, particularly that splendidly named semi corridor lavatory composite, and Ian did a lovely job, so they appear regularly, even though I've since discovered that virtually no non corridor stock was included in the formation of trains that ran through PN. I wonder what I'd be offered on E Bay if I tried to sell these now?

• RMweb Premium

Oh, Dominion of Canada looks great in those shots.  Being from Canada myself, I have a great liking for 60010.  I even have walked through the tender corridor before she was restored at the NRM and then sent back to her home.  Anytime you want to put her up on here it would be awesome.

Cheers,

William

Aire Valley 1962,  Can agree about Dominion of Canada.  I actually bought two, one to run and one to sit in the box (for the future)

I agree. I have two too, but one is garter blue. Tom

Whoopee :danced: I finally worked out how to use the multi quote thingy. I'm glad you enjoyed her folks, particularly as two of you now have ex PN locos running over there. I wonder how many people have modelled her in the original form with the bell? She still had it when I first started spotting, and to me at least it looked very clumsy. It meant that we always knew well in advance what was coming though, and I'm afraid shouts of " scrap it" were heard. Remarkable too that a loco that always seemed to be regarded as one of the black sheep of the class could be totally transformed, in performance and looks, by the fitting of a doube chimney. Plenty of top link work for her on my sequence, so she will appear regularly.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert

Those last lot of photos are superb as usual. In regards to the worth of those beautiful suburban coaches, there are a set of 5 tourist coaches built by our esteemed Mr Goddard for £1595 on eBay at the moment, and a set of 5 teaks for £1995, so I'd say you could get quite a bit for them! I just wish I could afford such exquisite examples myself, though I do have a few Hornby examples which are quite beautiful, especially the compo.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Gold

In regards to the worth of those beautiful suburban coaches, there are a set of 5 tourist coaches built by our esteemed Mr Goddard for £1595 on eBay at the moment, and a set of 5 teaks for £1995, so I'd say you could get quite a bit for them!

Unfortunately those adverts on Ebay just keep rolling around each month, the seller may wish to get £3-400 per coach but he doesn't seem to be able to find a buyer for them at those prices.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yup, those coaches are set at a 'sensible price' considering their 'pedigree', but I'm sorry to say they will probably not sell. There are also some very good looking SR green coaches from Mr Willets. I'm very tempted but not at 4 times what I'd pay for a Baccy one (yes I know I'm a tight wad......). I almost got a Larry product, over which I had weakened, a few weeks back but was beaten to it! It was a BRSR parcles van at £100 I seem to remember and very good it looked too. I think it sold; maybe I should double check! :angel:

P

Edited by Mallard60022

What makes my position in the market place different is having full control over my coaches from design to painting. Chassis are designed for each coach so no compromises there. I buy in extruded roofs of course and bogies (available again now), buffers and dynamos, and there is still the real-time cost of labour. For me, it  continues to be my bread and butter, and what I do find is conversions using Hornby donors, ie : fitting etched Gresley sides to roof and chassis plus rearranging footboards and roof vents, is not cost-effective......A wholly metal coach could be completed in less time and have a greater value. Full brake coaches are another problem which is why I have never produced them. They may have no interior but any saving in that area is blown on additional body detail such as multitude of handrails and masses of full panelling to line out if 1920s livery is specified.

Re Ebay, Lawrence Scale Model was in production from 1974-2004 and there are a good many coaches out there in the world (I painted 285 one year when I took the trouble to do a count). One can easily guess the prices that were charged in the past, but the market is the market and sellers will try to get todays prices. 

• RMweb Premium

I've just (re)discovered something really great. Nope, it's not a Royal birth. Better sit down all of you........

In January 1963, Mallard passed through Seaton Junction, heading west on a special: (it returned to London on the WR, :umbrage:  from Tiverton Junction). Now I just happen to have that locomotive in my collection. However, I suspect that I will need to seek Gilbert's advice on ensuring it looks 'right' as it is, sadly, a 'Railroad' version :sarcastichand: :laugh:  :D :swoon: 

One good thing, I won't need lamps as it had the SR Waterloo/Exeter twin disc headcode. That means  though that I will need proper lamp irons, right and left front.

What I might have a go at is the 'Klear' treatment as the picture I have suggests that polished, oily look. 

P

• Like 2

What stunning pictures!  I have few memories of P'boro in steam days (only saw one A4 though and came away feeeling short changed. It was a Sunday!) The ex GN had its own "drama" with big locos and long trains. Pity that New England did not look after its stock though.

You are to be cngratulated on your endeavours and I am awestruck in admiration.

Martin Long

Dear Gilbert,

I'm sure that I already replied to this post on the subject of "wet and gloomy" weather on layouts, but it seems to have disappeared from the record so I must have done something wrong.  So, forgive me if I am repeating myself, but followers of moody atmospheric layouts may be interested in Jim Smith-Wright's Brettell Road project: www.p4newstreet.com/category/brettell-road

Also, this layout/diorama: Brooklyn 3am

www.carendt.com/small-layout-scrapbook/page-87-july-2009/

Not that I am suggesting you spray the entire layout with Klear and put umbrellas on all the spotters...

All best, Matthew