Peterborough North

great northern

To get back on topic, I wondered if Gilbert and Andy Y etc are still photographing models with a Canon G12 or has something better been diascovered?

We are both still using the G12 Larry. I'm told that the latest updated version is not as good. It is really very good at what it does. One just has to accept its limitations. For the kind of images I like to produce, it is ideal, though I don't begin to understand most of the things it can apparently do.

Still the G12 Larry; it's main advantage as Gilbert says is the optical arrangement which allows you to focus from the surface of the lens to infinity, sadly not at the same time but it does provide the capabilities of software mutations to automate parts of the focussing processes.

I was doing a job yesterday which produced a real 'wow' result of taking a model out into the real world. Unsure of how it would turn out I took the image(s) several different ways with both the G12 and a Canon DSLR. The end result was that the G12 won the battle.

Its limitation is the sensor size but that's also its asset as once you increase the sensor size (as the G1X did) you lose the optical arrangements; as ever it's a compromise. There's some clever stuff coming out of China at the moment in the action camera market but it's not quite there for our sort of use.

• RMweb Premium

That is most useful. I'm surprised by the BG's in the  middle of the train - presumably where rakes were split.

Sorry for the delayed reply David. the 0800 was formed as follows:- BSO SK CK - Leeds. CK BG TSO - Bradford. SO RF BCK - Hull. The BG is marked for use for Mail traffic for intermediate stations between Leeds and Bradford. No doubt the Hull portion would have other coaches added when the train was split at Doncaster, but it is interesting to see that Hull got to keep the catering cars, rather than Leeds. Next train with catering through to Leeds was the White Rose, 50 minutes later departing KX, and not arriving in Leeds till nearly an hour after the 0800. Still, I suppose BR knew where the customers were most likely to be.

The 1820 was formed:- First seven vehicles, including catering and BG for Leeds. BG marked Mails news and priority traffic for Peterborough Doncaster and Leeds. Halifax got a TSO and BCK, arriving at 11.02pm! Getting on for five hours, truly the pace of life was slower then. CK and BSO got to Hull comparatively early - 1036. Those Halifax passengers of course also sat and contemplated Doncaster station for some time while the Hull portion was split, and then did the same at Wakefield while the Leeds portion departed. I suppose passengers had little alternative, and had to put up with it. We wouldn't have minded sitting watching goings on though, would we?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

oh and the BSO's !!!! I've one at the moment a resided SO I liked the cut and shut that Tim did. Also I've surprised by the number of Mk1's. Still patiently awaiting retooled Thompson's 

The BSO's are the biggest drawback to creating correct rakes. Some trains had three of them. I've been keeping fingers crossed that Bachmann might do them, but it doesn't look likely. I already have at least nine, but six more are needed just to finish the trains I selected. What's more, I deliberately selected as many trains as possible that didn't include them. I've also cheated by using Gresley stock that I've managed to acquire, rather than the correct MK1's. Tim's conversion is a lovely job, but very time consuming, and fiddly to do, so not something I'd attempt myself, and quite correctly not a cheap option when commissioned.

• RMweb Premium

Plea from a waddler. Anyone got a good pic of PN south end that shows fairly clearly the Telegraph Pole on the Loading Dock? I belkeive it is 17 bars for Gilbert's period but....................?

Thanks.

Flabby ducky.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I got bored after almost falling asleep at Donny and then coming home earlier than usual as there was hardly any freight action; (what pi**es me off is the lack of ER pacifics and no bl**dy B1s. Even a Dubdee would have been good, but nah). 

Anyhow the boredom resulted in a bit of action. Two poles down and two to go for the P.N. Station forecourt and Cattle/Parcels south end Dock area. This does not include  'The Beast' as seen outside the Station entrance. That needs a serious bit of brass square 'tube' and several glasses of a certain malt before production!

Gilbert, get the 'painting station' ready mate! They will come primed and ready to splosh.

Sincerely, 

Manic Drake of 36E

P.S. Did Torksey work for you?

Blimey! It may sometimes take a while, but when you stir yourself into action, things don't half happen quickly. Still awaiting transfers etc, so no progress at this end. Torksey?  Occasional bursts of competence, but rather poor really. How is it that I find hitting a golf ball 225 yards plus with a driver easy, but am totally unable to cope with a twenty yard chip from just off the green. :dontknow:  I must not get wound up about this, as I'm told it is counter productive. :shout: :ireful: :wild: :angry: :angry:

• RMweb Premium

Plea from a waddler. Anyone got a good pic of PN south end that shows fairly clearly the Telegraph Pole on the Loading Dock? I believe it is 17 bars for Gilbert's period but....................?

Thanks.

Flabby ducky.

Too late, it's done now and it is absolutely accurate even down to woodpecker holes!

Now to find the appropriate  brass square section brass tube for the 'Monster'. 

Nope, it's not in the fridge.....nor the shed. Pah, will have to go somewhere or go on the webby thingy. Eileens maybe?

I bet Larry has got just the piece in his 'spares box'!

Going to the Gym now so please don't worry that I have gone quiet!

Duck.

• RMweb Premium

Torksey?  Occasional bursts of competence, but rather poor really. How is it that I find hitting a golf ball 225 yards plus with a driver easy, but am totally unable to cope with a twenty yard chip from just off the green. :dontknow:  I must not get wound up about this, as I'm told it is counter productive. :shout: :ireful: :wild: :angry: :angry:

Strange as when I had a go at golf in the late 80s (still searching for my fave orange ball.......................no sniggering please) I was the complete opposite of Gilbert's style. I could usually throw the ball further than I could 'drive it' but my 'short game' was renowned in east Surrey. 

Sorry for the delayed reply David. the 0800 was formed as follows:- BSO SK CK - Leeds. CK BG TSO - Bradford. SO RF BCK - Hull. The BG is marked for use for Mail traffic for intermediate stations between Leeds and Bradford. No doubt the Hull portion would have other coaches added when the train was split at Doncaster, but it is interesting to see that Hull got to keep the catering cars, rather than Leeds. Next train with catering through to Leeds was the White Rose, 50 minutes later departing KX, and not arriving in Leeds till nearly an hour after the 0800. Still, I suppose BR knew where the customers were most likely to be.

The 1820 was formed:- First seven vehicles, including catering and BG for Leeds. BG marked Mails news and priority traffic for Peterborough Doncaster and Leeds. Halifax got a TSO and BCK, arriving at 11.02pm! Getting on for five hours, truly the pace of life was slower then. CK and BSO got to Hull comparatively early - 1036. Those Halifax passengers of course also sat and contemplated Doncaster station for some time while the Hull portion was split, and then did the same at Wakefield while the Leeds portion departed. I suppose passengers had little alternative, and had to put up with it. We wouldn't have minded sitting watching goings on though, would we?

I've looked through Robert Carolls Carriage workings and not noticed the BG's in the middle of the rakes. Though I'm specifically interested in the 59- 62 period. So things may have changed?

The BSO's are the biggest drawback to creating correct rakes. Some trains had three of them. I've been keeping fingers crossed that Bachmann might do them, but it doesn't look likely. I already have at least nine, but six more are needed just to finish the trains I selected. What's more, I deliberately selected as many trains as possible that didn't include them. I've also cheated by using Gresley stock that I've managed to acquire, rather than the correct MK1's. Tim's conversion is a lovely job, but very time consuming, and fiddly to do, so not something I'd attempt myself, and quite correctly not a cheap option when commissioned.

The lack of a BSO is a pain. I think a recent article in Model Rail implied that a Mk1 FO will appear in 4mm scale. The FO appears in 2mm as does the RFO( 2mm and 4mm). Which is a help. There was no hint on a BSO.

I was surprised that Hornby didn't take a crack at the FO and BSO...........!

I've two further mk1 BSO's in my to do pile. Many thanks for the info.

Edited by davidw

• RMweb Premium

Plea from a waddler. Anyone got a good pic of PN south end that shows fairly clearly the Telegraph Pole on the Loading Dock? I belkeive it is 17 bars for Gilbert's period but....................?

Thanks.

Flabby ducky.

This One Phil?

post-98-0-02054800-1431775750_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Ref the different variants of coach I would have thought this was a perfect opportunity for 3d printing

Does anyone on here have CAD?

I think things would need to improve in terms of resolution to do nice smooth coach sides well. There have been some developments in that area, but the other issue might be cost, getting a few done wouldn't be cheap done in hires.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I've looked through Robert Carolls Carriage workings and not noticed the BG's in the middle of the rakes. Though I'm specifically interested in the 59- 62 period. So things may have changed?

The lack of a BSO is a pain. I think a recent article in Model Rail implied that a Mk1 FO will appear in 4mm scale. The FO appears in 2mm as does the RFO( 2mm and 4mm). Which is a help. There was no hint on a BSO.

I was surprised that Hornby didn't take a crack at the FO and BSO...........!

I've two further mk1 BSO's in my to do pile. Many thanks for the info.

I needed something to do while sitting with an ice pack on my knee, so I went through my 1958 carriage formations again. The two sets that have BG's in the middle are the only two on the Down main between 0730 and 1830, save for local and parliamentary trains, so far as the Main Line book is concerned. The East Coast book shows only one formation containing a BG, and that is the Elizabethan. Just shows how easy it is for misconceptions to arise - I just happened to mention two very unusual formations out of the dozens that existed.

• RMweb Premium

Bl**dy excellent stuff. There are a couple of shots there that may be enhanced in a few weeks or so with the arrival of some Poles (yes they did exist in 1958).

I really like these 'building' compositions, especially the Hotel ones and then the penultimate one.

However, the Engineers' Yard shots are lovely and the trackwork and Box shot is just brilliant G.

Drake (is in his hammock and a thousand miles away.............)

I really like this set of pictures especially the first of the sentinel shots and the "pimples." I see that you have a Phase 1 Standard Vanguard parked in the station forecourt. Where is that from? Who makes it? I remember very well what a bas***d  it was to get at the brake fluid reservoir on these - take off the front right wheel to get at it.

• RMweb Premium

I really like this set of pictures especially the first of the sentinel shots and the "pimples." I see that you have a Phase 1 Standard Vanguard parked in the station forecourt. Where is that from? Who makes it? I remember very well what a bas***d  it was to get at the brake fluid reservoir on these - take off the front right wheel to get at it.

The Vanguard is from Oxford Scale models. I had to get one, as it was our family car in the mid 50's. I can still remember the number too- GAP 7. I wish I owned that now.

I do like that Great Northern Hotel. It's very difficult to get a clear view of it these days, but it looks exactly right

That's where Peter Leyland is so good. It does look right, but it isn't an exact model, as it was somewhat compressed to fit into its place on the last layout. You'd have to look very closely indeed to confirm that though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant stuff, I always like to see photos of the "rest of the layout", all too often we can tend to concentrate on the trains.

Many thanks,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Here are a couple of experimental shots I took the other day while concentrating on the buildings images. I'm not that impressed myself frankly, and given the number of likes you kindly gave for the infrastructure images, perhaps I should avoid pointing the camera at locos in future? :jester:

post-98-0-54453900-1432118995_thumb.jpg

As one WD starts its journey to Ferme Park, another finally gets the road into the yards to end its duties for the day.

post-98-0-95652100-1432119211_thumb.jpg

Taken pursuant to the suggestion of more contre jour and silhouette shots, but not I think very successful. I wish I could see a way to extend Crescent Bridge further at both ends, but at the moment inspiration eludes me, again.

• Like 17