Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Second photo really caught my eye. As my attention was drawn to the loco and it's train I really didn't take notice of the truncated Crescent Bridge until I read the caption ...

Perhaps some foliage photoshopped in place would help?

Gilbert after being unable to put my finger on it for all these years, I've worked out what your layout lacks - People.

I know 4mm figures are a nightmare, and stupidly costly, but I have sneaking suspicion that a few bodies might make a world of difference.

Have a look at Waverley West  and you'll see what I mean this is a good page to start... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/2978-waverley-west-haymarket-mpd/page-66

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert after being unable to put my finger on it for all these years, I've worked out what your layout lacks - People.

I know 4mm figures are a nightmare, and stupidly costly, but I have sneaking suspicion that a few bodies might make a world of difference.

Have a look at Waverley West  and you'll see what I mean this is a good page to start... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/2978-waverley-west-haymarket-mpd/page-66

Whaddya mean, no people?

post-98-0-63124800-1432129659_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-79826800-1432129677_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-42822000-1432129695_thumb.jpg

OK, you can't see them that well because of the gloom under the roof, but they are just being sensible. You only have to look at the clouds gathering in previous photos to see that the rain is about to start falling. Aprt from one, that is.

post-98-0-46263200-1432129887_thumb.jpg

She's used to it, coming as she does from Up North, our Norah.

post-98-0-81208600-1432129994_thumb.jpg

But when you look closer, is it Norah? That hat looks more like Compo.

And now a sensible answer to your question, Peter. I really do think that nothing destroys any illusion of reality in model railway pictures than the people, however well they have been made. That's why you won't see many, and most that are there are hidden away so that they can't be examined too closely. Even the spotters aren't that convincing, but there have to be some to give that 1958 atmosphere. I may put a couple more in the District Engineers area when that is finished off, but even then they will be partly hidden - certainly not centre stage.

• Like 7

That WD heading South under Crescent Bridge sooo reminds me of the days my dear old Grandad parked his Austin 7 Ruby (CPW835) there so I could do some trainspotting, whilst Gran went to the shops.

ps the bus for the bridge is now converted, I'm painting the interior and sourcing adverts for it...

Stewart

Speaking of figures, I agree that the model persons available are often a distraction, since a. any figure captured "in motion" is always jarring as clearly it isn't, then b. it's hard to find a decent model person to start with, then c. they are often painted crudely (gloopy paint and glaring tones) and d. all too often "standing" at "three sheets to the wind" unnatural poses.

However, I've stumbled upon these figures created by Alan Buttler just recently, and they change the game:

https://oswestryworks.wordpress.com/2015/04/16/modelu-first-steps/

So Gilbert you can scan yourself and Duck into the scene if you wish?!

All best,

Matthew

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought regarding Crescent Bridge. How often do you need to access that outside corner of the layout, or is it used for photographing? If the answer is 'hardly ever' would a short baseboard extension outwards to the wall to extend Crescent Bridge be feasible, even if it were removeable?

• RMweb Premium

Speaking of figures, I agree that the model persons available are often a distraction, since a. any figure captured "in motion" is always jarring as clearly it isn't, then b. it's hard to find a decent model person to start with, then c. they are often painted crudely (gloopy paint and glaring tones) and d. all too often "standing" at "three sheets to the wind" unnatural poses.

However, I've stumbled upon these figures created by Alan Buttler just recently, and they change the game:

All best,

Matthew

Wait until you see the other stuff that will be coming from this guy. I've seen a few loco 'bits' and they are magnificent.

I believe we may be able to get loco lamps that are the correct size for our needs. Maybe telegraph pole parts?

This chap is a great modeller and is starting off with his own business and so I'd be happy to share 'commissions' for items (even though I don't really need LNER lamps).

The 'Duck'!

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

All best,

Matthew

Those do look very promising indeed! Many thanks Matthew, I shall certainly watch developments closely.

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought regarding Crescent Bridge. How often do you need to access that outside corner of the layout, or is it used for photographing? If the answer is 'hardly ever' would a short baseboard extension outwards to the wall to extend Crescent Bridge be feasible, even if it were removeable?

I've considered that option Jason, but I can't see how to make it work. Difficult to explain when not on site though. Aren't you and Jeff due another visit, as your last one was so short? If so, I'd value your thoughts on the subject.

• RMweb Premium

Those do look very promising indeed! Many thanks Matthew, I shall certainly watch developments closely.

One can get oneself scanned and then  be 'created' in 4mm to go on the layout somewhere G. I think it could be huge fun quite amusing to have a load of contributors placed around the layout. May I be placed in the Box or in that classic pose in the Guard's Van.

Oh, I'm not here really by the way; I'm lost in Suffolk!

Quackers.

• Like 1

One can get oneself scanned and then  be 'created' in 4mm to go on the layout somewhere G. I think it could be huge fun quite amusing to have a load of contributors placed around the layout. May I be placed in the Box or in that classic pose in the Guard's Van.

Quackers.

I believe various figures on the Pendon layout are of contributors-Bob Symes-Schutzman for one. 

• RMweb Premium

I believe various figures on the Pendon layout are of contributors-Bob Symes-Schutzman for one. 

Are they 3d printed ones then or, being Pendon, did someone spend years sculpting each tiny figure?

P

Quackers.

Hi all, thanks for the compliments on my project, it is indeed good fun!  It takes a little planning to get the best figures, using reference photographs helps for poses and having the right clothing is another point to consider.  Once you have an idea though of what you want the rest is the fun part.  If you want to give it a go I'll be demonstrating at Scaleforum and hopefully at ExpoEM North later in the year, I'll have all the scanning kit with me and some props. 

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1

I thought I'd have another go at one of my occasional attempts to reproduce an original image. Here then is a very nice and atmospheric, chokingly so, view of A3 Tracery leaving PN with a Down Leeds express. This image is copyright of Andrew C Ingram, used with his kind consent, but not to be further reproduced.

attachicon.gifTracery 001.jpg

Impressive, huh? Now the photographer had one huge advantage over me, in that he was able to choose a time of day when he could get the light shining on the nearside of the loco. This I cannot do, as the light entering the room for some reason always does so from the same direction - the direct opposite of what is needed. So, that somewhat inconvenient fact acknowledged, here is the best I could do.

attachicon.gifTracery.jpg

And, annoyingly, it now looks much brighter on here than when I finished fiddling about with it. Some cheating has taken place, in that the goods stock in the original was on the Midland lines, which don't appear on my model, so I've moved them forward onto the Up and Down slow. The other major problem is the presence on my image of the Down bay starting signal, which should not be in view at all. I don't feel that it is permissible to photoshop it out, as the whole point of this is to see how much my effort resembles the real thing. I regard it as a fairly near miss, which would look better if the brightness and contrast were properly adjusted.

If any of our experts would like to have a go at it, they are very welcome. Can you put in that very impressive column of smoke? A bit of blurring of the wheels and motion, which were really whizzing round on the real thing wouldn't go amiss either.

That's excellent.

I think you may need to step forward towards the tracks, so that the left side of the train shed is clear of the signal, and move the loco back about a length in line with the turnout. That should move the offending down signal more nearly out of the picture and give a more head on view. So I think you're closer to reality than the present photo is giving you credit for.

Alan

If any of our experts would like to have a go at it, they are very welcome. Can you put in that very impressive column of smoke? A bit of blurring of the wheels and motion, which were really whizzing round on the real thing wouldn't go amiss either.

Hi Gilbert, I had a quick go at this and changed that signal as well.  Quite hard to get the lighting right!

post-17930-0-77279900-1432760304_thumb.jpg

• Like 10