Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Only just seen the, and all I can say is Phil & Gilbert - your poles are something special.

But then I suspect Mrs. Duck has said that on many occasions!

I think it was one occasion and it was 1968............ :sarcastichand:

Q

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, this is the picture of the pole(s) in the dock area that I could not find earlier. It is closer to the edge than we thought* by the looks of it.

post-2326-0-62045500-1435143964.jpg

The really tall bu**er is not that clear sadly and it is an early shot. The strut configurations were a bit different by 1958 (but not the necessary height).

Quackers

(Edit,  * is the tall bu**er actually the one behind the trees and what I though was it is actually a lantern?

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

You would think that they would be, as close as possible, in a straight line. So if you can place two accurately, the third ought to be near enough in the centre of a straight line joining them...unless there's a reason for the run to bend, it won't...wastes cable and puts on different stresses.

• RMweb Premium

Where was the Telegraph Office at Peterborough - its position might have a bearing on all sorts of things in relation to the pole route.

I know nothing, however I suspect it might be in the vacinity of the Beast?

P

• RMweb Gold

I know nothing, however I suspect it might be in the vacinity of the Beast?

P

That's a possibility - the clue will be to find a pic with cables running down the post and to/through the wall of a building or some sort of cupboard and it might even show up from a platform side photo of the station.  Its presence could explain why the number of lines changed or were arranged differently on a particular pole and subsequent ones in a particular direction

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, this is the picture of the pole(s) in the dock area that I could not find earlier. It is closer to the edge than we thought* by the looks of it.

attachicon.gifpnstation-c1939.jpg

The really tall bu**er is not that clear sadly and it is an early shot. The strut configurations were a bit different by 1958 (but not the necessary height).

Quackers

(Edit,  * is the tall bu**er actually the one behind the trees and what I though was it is actually a lantern?

I think that's right Phil - the post is rather slender, and I've found an even earlier image that shows a lamp in more or less exactly that spot. The pole is indeed the one behind the trees.

• RMweb Premium

That's a possibility - the clue will be to find a pic with cables running down the post and to/through the wall of a building or some sort of cupboard and it might even show up from a platform side photo of the station.  Its presence could explain why the number of lines changed or were arranged differently on a particular pole and subsequent ones in a particular direction

post-98-0-86929300-1435160685.jpg

Does this help Mike? The notice at top right, partly masking the big Peterborough North sign, appears to say " Telegrams", so presumably they would be sent from the telegraph office. If so, that would place it on Platform 2, some distance to the South of the main entrance, and in fact as Phil says just about where the large pole is on the other side of the building. Photo reproduced by permission of Peterboroughimages.co.uk

• Like 6

That's really helpful matey for the positions of the dock and south of the bridge pole. Fortunately 'Son of Beast' will not need construction (unless Gilbert buys the house next door). :scratchhead:

Quickers

No, you will just have to paint it on his backscene.................................along with the Power Station :jester:

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifclass47-1963.jpg

Does this help Mike? The notice at top right, partly masking the big Peterborough North sign, appears to say " Telegrams", so presumably they would be sent from the telegraph office. If so, that would place it on Platform 2, some distance to the South of the main entrance, and in fact as Phil says just about where the large pole is on the other side of the building. Photo reproduced by permission of Peterboroughimages.co.uk

That will almost certainly be the Telegraph Office.  Many railway telegraph offices also sent public telegrams at one time so there would have been public access to the counter.

I don't know much about ER (GN) practice apart from the fact that it was one of if not the last mainline(s) in the country to use single needle telegraphs - I believe they survived until MAS arrived in the 1970s - but there would in any case have been an enormous number of wires (railwayese for telegram) sent as part of the everyday business of numerous departments particularly as the telephone network was not all that well developed for long distance communication and in any case wires in code were quicker and simpler in many respects.  

Again I don't know about ER (GN) practice but on the Western at medium size stations the Telegraph Office was usually where the telephone switchboard was located as well - and of course it generally took over as wires became a thing of the past.  And modernisation didn't exactly end things - the ill fated and never completed 1960s rebuilding of Reading station included a brand new automatic telephone exchange and I remember in 1967 that to sometimes save time in the evenings we would take the outwards goods wires there instead of reading them over the 'phone to the operator (as it was enroute to the station, and the train home); the big difference was that by then many wires were being sent by the BR equivalent of telex instead of earlier methods.

• RMweb Premium

No, you will just have to paint it on his backscene.................................along with the Power Station :jester:

Ah, that contract is with the famous artistic Pole, Fazzy Kontrollerzski and so I have nothing to do with that........................(no cheering at the back please.......)

Quackers.

The Poles look amazing, I really think they add to the atmosphere. It's getting to the point where a quick glance has you doing a doubletake to see if the photo is Model or Prototype !!

Also the pictures on the previous page of the Railroad Mallard are quite amazing. The modern digital camera can be very cruel at times and for 60 quid the Duck's budget Mallard comes out looking very good indeed. With products like that for so little money, Hornby must surely take a bow.

• Like 1

As one of 4 members that offered observations about the poles, certainly on my part you can call it feedback rather than "criticism", I'd just like to say that this is a forum, and for my part I was very positive, and greatly respect and appreciate what Gilbert, his staunch ally and supporter Duck and all the contributors to the Magnum Opus that is PN is.  I feel it a little unfair to be apparently censured for contributing to the thread, as this post puts me off doing. 

• RMweb Premium

Linesider, don't be put off posting. I certainly took your observations as helpful advice and I am now getting my superhero suspenders ready for ceiling grip and have begun work on the Swallows. However, I'm only making two as Gilbert's operational time frame is such that they would have migrated by the time he is running his trains. Yup, I do my research tha knaws....... :mail:  :rtfm:  :sarcastichand:

Quinkers.

• Like 1