Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

A lovely set of photos Gilbert.

Whether there is a sky or not does not matter as the railway atmosphere created is the main thing which you have captured to a tee.

Better to concentrate on the modelling and running trains rather than photoshop!

Eric

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, this will reinforce the support for your brilliant layout and for keeping the pics nice and simple. So, here is a photoshopped picture of my famous layout Seatonjunctionish:

Good isn't it!  

Quackers.

• Like 1

Gilbert, this will reinforce the support for your brilliant layout and for keeping the pics nice and simple. So, here is a photoshopped picture of my famous layout Seatonjunctionish:

Good isn't it!

Quackers.

brilliant...

• RMweb Gold

Good isn't it!  

Quackers.

I'm a bit concerned about the lack of trap points

• RMweb Premium

Oh, that 'under the bridge' shot is nice, Gilbert.  I see the old girl is sneaking in to another shot too.

How about shutters on the windows - internally, taking your planning issues into consideration (and the lady....)?  Then light to taste?

Quackers layout seems to have a lack of signalling, there will be trouble!

• RMweb Premium

Oh, that 'under the bridge' shot is nice, Gilbert.  I see the old girl is sneaking in to another shot too.

How about shutters on the windows - internally, taking your planning issues into consideration (and the lady....)?  Then light to taste?

Quackers layout seems to have a lack of signalling, there will be trouble!

There will be very neat little SR van in there somewhere (amongst the  beautifully constructed LSWR/SR signals), fresh from Neil in the Fragglerocky place. Pity there is so much stock that it can't be seen.

Change to a form of sanity. Gilbert I have just found a neat little Parkside Pipe wagon (shorter version I think) in my box of roundtuits. You wanna play with that, or are you so overwhelmed with Le Tour finishing that you just have not got the motivation? I really do not have room for it as you can see in post #8135.

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Good isn't it!  

Quackers.

I'm impressed by the amount of progress Phil. :jester:

"...I liked this angle sufficiently to try to make a proper job of it, but as you can see, even on a dark and dismal day with blinds shut, still enough light got in to bleach things out. Actually, I like this so much that I will return to this angle and do a better job on it..."

Just to pick up on your comment to that fine set of photos.  Is this not a function of the camera and taking the shot from under the bridge?  Essentially from there a large part of the camera's light meter is picking up the wagon under the bridge so is trying to adjust the exposure to suite this.  This then leads to the over exposure of other parts of your picture (hence the bleaching out).  Can you adjust your exposure using bracketing (which will add an over exposed and under exposed shot) or simply under expose the image manually?  Alternatively you may be able to adjust the camera light meter settings so it takes the reading form only one part of the view.  

If your wish is to recreate a picture as if it were taken on the real thing then that shot from under the bridge would be very difficult to get right in real life.  ie you would be faced with the same problem as in model form - do you expose the subject in the shade under the bridge correctly or the top of the roof?

Edit.  Just checked and the G12 (if it is the Canon one) can lock the exposure so you should be able to get a piece of grey card, plonk that on the scene for where you want the exposure to be "correct", lock that exposure reading on the camera then position the camera and take the shot.  It also lets you compensate the exposure so I would try experimenting with that as well.

Edited by jon_1066

• RMweb Premium

"...I liked this angle sufficiently to try to make a proper job of it, but as you can see, even on a dark and dismal day with blinds shut, still enough light got in to bleach things out. Actually, I like this so much that I will return to this angle and do a better job on it..."

Just to pick up on your comment to that fine set of photos.  Is this not a function of the camera and taking the shot from under the bridge?  Essentially from there a large part of the camera's light meter is picking up the wagon under the bridge so is trying to adjust the exposure to suite this.  This then leads to the over exposure of other parts of your picture (hence the bleaching out).  Can you adjust your exposure using bracketing (which will add an over exposed and under exposed shot) or simply under expose the image manually?  Alternatively you may be able to adjust the camera light meter settings so it takes the reading form only one part of the view.  

If your wish is to recreate a picture as if it were taken on the real thing then that shot from under the bridge would be very difficult to get right in real life.  ie you would be faced with the same problem as in model form - do you expose the subject in the shade under the bridge correctly or the top of the roof?

Edit.  Just checked and the G12 (if it is the Canon one) can lock the exposure so you should be able to get a piece of grey card, plonk that on the scene for where you want the exposure to be "correct", lock that exposure reading on the camera then position the camera and take the shot.  It also lets you compensate the exposure so I would try experimenting with that as well.

Thank you. That is most helpful. I confess that I have not downloaded all of the manual, as 228 pages seemed a bit excessive. Hopefully Andy Y is calling in tomorrow, so I shall enlist his help in learning how to do this. Actually, I think I've seen either Andy or Chris Nevard or both do this, but I had forgotten. Again.

• Like 1

I love this layout.  Just a thought- there's a guy on Youtube with a layout called Farland Howe.  He uses these movable backdrops on an easel that he moves round the layout when taking pics from the non-scenic side.  Just hope thats of some use rather than having to photoshop everything?

Best

Dan 

Hi Gilbert, been away so catching up...

:imsohappy:Re you photo of 61666, I can smell that photo! Hot metal, oil and a whiff of paraffin and sulphur. My instinct was to warm my hands on the monitor :agree: ...lucky I work for myself, that would have looked a bit odd :crazy:

:imsohappy:dropped an emoticon!

:imsohappy:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It has been a very eventful day. A few days ago I was asked if PN could be used for testing the latest engineering sample of the Heljan 02 on DCC. Well, you can guess what I said, so this morning  Brush Veteran of this parish arrived with it, and it was duly put through its paces. Here are some shots to show just how good it looks.

post-98-0-02630700-1438194382_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-40499300-1438194403_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-19674500-1438194426_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-92341500-1438194461_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-81157800-1438194482_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-32681000-1438194519_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-39850700-1438194542_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-49450600-1438194570_thumb.jpg

This is not the finished article, but it is getting very close. A couple of small things which need to be changed have already been identified, and I did raise one thing which I felt to be incorrect as soon as I saw it. I won't say what it is yet, as I'm interested to see if others agree. I'm assured that opinions will not be unwelcome. This looks just like an O2 to me, and its performance is as good as its looks. I placed it nest to my kit built 02, and found that this one has more fine detail parts than that one does! It runs silently and very smoothly, even at the slowest speed I could select, and hauled 32 wagons and brake without the slightest difficulty. I can't wait to get my hands on one, or more, and it is possible that may even be before the end of the year. Please note the word possible though, and don't hold Heljan, or me, responsible if that doesn't happen.

Today's other visitor was Andy Y, who brought stronger magnets to hold that lovely backscene he so kindly did for me. It has now been reattached, and so far is behaving perfectly. Andy also put me through my paces so far as photoshopping is concerned, and seems to be content that I do at least know the basics. I'll leave him to summarise the advice he gave me, which was not "give up".

There was one more development today, when a parcel was delivered. I'm saying no more yet, save that the contents were beyond my highest expectations, and will give the appearance of the layout yet another very large boost. I have work to do before they can be unveiled.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Great Northern. Been lurking around on your thread for far too long! Those photo's of the O2 look superb to me. I think, though, the one thing that Heljan have missed is blackening the handrails. Also the crest on the tender could maybe do with a bit more colour - the reds seem a bit ''see-through'' to my eyes. It does look good on your layout without question.

With regards,

Market65.

PS. Edited to add that I look forward to that parcel being opened.

Edited by Market65

Tony W has also posted photos of the O2 on his thread and there are some comments thereon.

Looking at these photos the Cab windows look very long perhaps exaggerated by the Brown window frames? As usual we must wait and see what the final result actually looks like.

Looks like a very nice Loco and photos too, well done.

That Heljan 02 looks the business right down to the wheels. After working on creating a sky on this this, I realise now what you are up against. All that fine detail in white against the skyline to go around and fill in. Small wonder you felt as you did....

post-6680-0-46368600-1438199341.jpg

In contrast this one took all of 10 seconds.......

post-6680-0-46867300-1438199596.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 10