Peterborough North

great northern

I wouldn't fancy trying to stuff one of those down a pair of short trousers. :O

We actually did try to have it away with one from Frodingham loco...it was so heavy, we decided against it.

We had just put it down as the foreman appeared round the corner of the shed.........

I'm not even sure what we were thinking, it was a four mile bike ride home, and had we got it there, my dad would have warmed my backside and put me in the car to take it back.

• RMweb Premium

Ooh look!, I found one.

attachicon.gifshackle.jpg

My guess is that that is an emergency screw coupling, as found in the guard's compartment of buckeye-fitted stock. In the event of failure of a buckeye coupler, the buckeye heads would be dropped, the gangways locked off and the buffers extended. The vehicles would then be coupled using the emergency coupler. In latter years they were usually painted red.

A couple of unaltered shots this evening.

attachicon.gifcoal.JPG

Just to show the full length of the coal empties rake, plus a lot of blue card, but no bookcases.

attachicon.gifclaud and goods.JPG

And a view from the other side of Crescent Bridge, with the goods gradually disappearing on the Down slow, while a Claud waits in the bay with the 3.22pm to Peterborough East. Actually, I rather like this one, and it probably works better without photoshopping, particularly on the window side. The blinds are drawn, by the way. Something shiny to come tomorrow.

Photoshopped or no, I love the shots showing the scale of this model!!!

• RMweb Premium

We actually did try to have it away with one from Frodingham loco...it was so heavy, we decided against it.

We had just put it down as the foreman appeared round the corner of the shed.........

I'm not even sure what we were thinking, it was a four mile bike ride home, and had we got it there, my dad would have warmed my backside and put me in the car to take it back.

I remember visiting Shirebrook Shed many times in the 70s and 80s. Usually a really lovely Foreman there who enjoyed a chat and outside his Office were a pair of what were probably B1 Chimneys used as planters. I wonder what happened to those?

I almost had a front number plate off a withdrawn 28XX at Severn Tunnel Junction in about 1963/4 but ran out of time; I did keep the water gauge spanner that I had found in the cab and was using to remove the plate 'nuts'. It is in the loft or garage.

Thinking back I/we could have had loads of stuff but I was always really scared I'd be caught as I had been brought up to respect both the law and the property of others and that is still the case. However, the little tags that were attached to loco wheels and stamped with the loco number (after works visit presumably) were fair game at Laira.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert can you remind me please what your 'yard/ground' ballast is in those 10603 shots. You can probably guess why I'm asking.

Many thanks,

Phil

It is Norman Saunders own special recipe I think Phil. He laid it all before the baseboards ever got here. I don't know if it is a trade secret, or whether he might divulge.

• RMweb Premium

Yet another photo of the Northumbrian this morning. I now take a lot of images,and am content to bin the ones that don't work, but this time they all came out quite nicely, and so you are getting a bit of overkill.

attachicon.gif34 4.jpg

Please note though that the headboard is on straight, as are the lamps, almost. The loco also has a shackle! Amazing.

attachicon.giftriplet.jpg

The Northumbrian was made up mainly of MK1 stock, so I haven't photographed the whole train. here though is the unique triplet set, complete with standing bar, made by John Houlden using Rupert Brown's etches.

Gilbert, is that the 'long coach' version of the Triplet? Good looking set. 

Duck

• RMweb Premium

Sir,

I find the photo in post 10602 fascinating regarding the end of platform detailing - do you have a date for the picture? - I'm assuming it is mid 1950s and that the lamp pole (with shackle attached), the other stayed post and the location cabinet are yet to be added to your marvellous model.

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Premium

Sir,

I find the photo in post 10602 fascinating regarding the end of platform detailing - do you have a date for the picture? - I'm assuming it is mid 1950s and that the lamp pole (with shackle attached), the other stayed post and the location cabinet are yet to be added to your marvellous model.

Regards

Chris H

The photo will be dated between 1957 and 1959, I'm pretty sure. As to the poles and cabinet, I will come clean. The one with the shackle attached I had noticed, and have been intending to do something about it for quite  a while. The cabinet I have just failed to see, believe it or not. I did at last notice it when I put the cropped version of the original up, and wondered how I'd failed to see it before. In fairness, I've been through most of my prototype books and haven't found one taken this close, so that must be the reason. The one I posted I just have as an A4 photograph, and rarely need to look at it.

The photographer was standing where the public should not be to get his shot, and I wonder if the gentleman striding purposefully towards him is about to ask him what he's doing there, and if that is why there aren't other close up views like this.

• RMweb Premium

The photo will be dated between 1957 and 1959, I'm pretty sure. As to the poles and cabinet, I will come clean. The one with the shackle attached I had noticed, and have been intending to do something about it for quite  a while. The cabinet I have just failed to see, believe it or not. I did at last notice it when I put the cropped version of the original up, and wondered how I'd failed to see it before. In fairness, I've been through most of my prototype books and haven't found one taken this close, so that must be the reason. The one I posted I just have as an A4 photograph, and rarely need to look at it.

The photographer was standing where the public should not be to get his shot, and I wonder if the gentleman striding purposefully towards him is about to ask him what he's doing there, and if that is why there aren't other close up views like this.

He seems to have a camera round his neck, so he could be another photographer trying to get to the same spot before the train they both want to snap arrives. Might be fun to guess what that might be. Prototype Deltic perhaps?

• RMweb Premium

Yet another photo of the Northumbrian this morning. I now take a lot of images,and am content to bin the ones that don't work, but this time they all came out quite nicely, and so you are getting a bit of overkill.

attachicon.gif34 4.jpg

Please note though that the headboard is on straight, as are the lamps, almost. The loco also has a shackle! Amazing.

attachicon.giftriplet.jpg

The Northumbrian was made up mainly of MK1 stock, so I haven't photographed the whole train. here though is the unique triplet set, complete with standing bar, made by John Houlden using Rupert Brown's etches.

Fantastic triplet set Gilbert. Are Rupert Brown's etches still available. I can't find any reference on the web.

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic triplet set Gilbert. Are Rupert Brown's etches still available. I can't find any reference on the web.

I believe Andrew Hartshorne of Wizard Models now has them, and I know he has released some, but I don't think he has done this one yet.

• RMweb Premium

I believe Andrew Hartshorne of Wizard Models now has them, and I know he has released some, but I don't think he has done this one yet.

Thanks Gilbert, ironically I bought the comet triplet from him at Ally Pally on Sunday, as I didn't know this one existed! Is 'RDEB' the Rupert Brown range - there's some interesting stuff in there. I'm already eyeing up the twin sleeper.

My reading of the carriage working for the late 50s is that the 1924/8 triplets (like Comet and Kirk) did the 5.35 pm and 9.40 am Kings cross Newcastle and return , the ex silver jubilee triplet did the 2.00pm to Newcastle and return, and the 1938 triplet did the Northumbrian. Is that your understanding? Do you know what the other 1924/8 triplets worked?

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Gilbert, ironically I bought the comet triplet from him at Ally Pally on Sunday, as I didn't know this one existed! Is 'RDEB' the Rupert Brown range - there's some interesting stuff in there. I'm already eyeing up the twin sleeper.

My reading of the carriage working for the late 50s is that the 1924/8 triplets (like Comet and Kirk) did the 5.35 pm and 9.40 am Kings cross Newcastle and return , the ex silver jubilee triplet did the 2.00pm to Newcastle and return, and the 1938 triplet did the Northumbrian. Is that your understanding? Do you know what the other 1924/8 triplets worked?

Andy

RDEB is the Rupert Brown range Andy. As to the triplet workings, I think you know more than I do. I do know that the one I have in the Northumbrian is correct, as that was the only one that got the standing bar. When I have more time I'll sort out what Triplet workings were rostered in Summer 58, but I don't think it will tell me which sets were used on particular trains.

• RMweb Premium

He seems to have a camera round his neck, so he could be another photographer trying to get to the same spot before the train they both want to snap arrives. Might be fun to guess what that might be. Prototype Deltic perhaps?

Funny you should mention that. As the Northumbrian was leaving after its engine change, we also had an arrival from the North.

post-98-0-14397500-1458814415_thumb.jpg

This all took place before your post, by the way, sheer coincidence. Golf now, more later.

• Like 19

Andy

From looking through the marshalling book there were five sets of triplets diagrammed in the Summer of 1958:

9.40 KX - Newcastle, 5.05 Newcastle - KX; seats 42, - , 36

12.50 Newcastle - KX, 12.30 KX - Newcastle; seats 42, - , 24 (Northumbrian)

9.47 Th Newcastle - KX, 1.45 Fri KX - Newcastle, 10.25 Sat Newcastle - KX, 2.45 Sun KX - Newcastle; seats 42, - , 36

08.00 Newcastle - KX, 2.00 KX - Newcastle (3.00 Sat); seats 48, - , 34 (ex Silver Jubilee set)

9.55 Newcastle - KX, 5.35 KX - Newcastle; seats 42, - , 36

There were five 1924 sets built, five more in 1928 and the two sets in 1938 with longer kitchen cars. Apart from the "standing bar" set and Silver Jubilee set I don't know which other sets were in regular use.

Edited by Flood

• RMweb Premium

From looking through the marshalling book there were five sets of triplets diagrammed in the Summer of 1958:

5.05 Newcastle - KX, 9.40 KX - Newcastle; seats 42, - , 36

12.50 Newcastle - KX, 12.30 KX - Newcastle seats; 42, - , 24 (Northumbrian)

9.47 Th Newcastle - KX, 1.45 Fri KX - Newcastle, 10.25 Sat Newcastle - KX, 2.45 Sun KX - Newcastle; seats 42, - , 36

08.00 Newcastle - KX, 2.00 KX - Newcastle (3.00 Sat); seats 48, - , 34 (ex Silver Jubilee set)

9.55 Newcastle - KX, 5.35 KX - Newcastle; seats 42, - , 36

There were five 1924 sets built, five more in 1928 and the two sets in 1938 with longer kitchen cars. Apart from the "standing bar" set and Silver Jubilee set I don't know which other sets were in regular use.

Thanks Flood, that more or less agrees with my summary except for the additional Thursday- Sunday trains (third on your list). I think your list uses 3 of the 1924/8 triplets ( one each for the first, third and fifth trains on your list, as the first and fifth work round trips in one day). The second train on your list uses the 1938 triplets as Gilbert stated, and the fourth train uses the silver jubilee sets. That leaves seven 1924/8 triplets either spare or scrapped.

Andy