Peterborough North

great northern

Bongo was definitely a Parkeston loco for many years. Always looked out for it. Ipswich had Sandringham so the doyens of the respective classes were not very far apart.

Martin Long

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I love the B17's, and have four of the Hornby models - I also have four of their B1's as well. Been running a B17 on my layout today. So it is really good to see 61635. I hope you will photo the train as it departs so we can all see the lovely B17 in all its glory.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

One more photo tonight, and Rob, for one, will be pleased. I'm not so sure about our probationer though, but he knows well enough from contact with many, shall we say not so law abiding citizens, that the boot always gets put in when someone is down. So here is a nice portrait of 61635, graceful, symmetrical and altogether beautiful.

post-98-0-88049900-1460151734_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Not quite what I was thinking of at the time Phil, but I accept she fitted the description. Now find a lady who fits the next featured loco!

Didn't someone describe Glenda Jackson as having "the face that launched a thousand dredgers"?

• RMweb Premium

And so back from Rothley, where 45305 was considerate enough to run alongside the 15th fairway, and appear in a gap between the trees. I also heard, but never saw, a diesel. Tonight I shall feature agin the J50. An Ardsley tank, so it really should be associated with a Yorkshire lady. Nora springs to mind.

attachicon.gifJ50 3.jpg

I have two carriage sidings at the North end, which were often empty, but not for as long as I have left them since I started using cassettes. I felt it was about time that something went in at least one of them, and as this rake's next duty on the sequence will be a stopper to KX, it was a good candidate.

attachicon.gifcarriagesiding.jpg

Thanks. Always love to see Gresley articulated stock

Wasn't Woolwinder later disfigured with those ghastly "smoke-scoopers" around the chimney? I like the look of the A3 with a double chimney but sans deflectors. makes it look so purposeful - and of course it gave them a new lease of life.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't Woolwinder later disfigured with those ghastly "smoke-scoopers" around the chimney? I like the look of the A3 with a double chimney but sans deflectors. makes it look so purposeful - and of course it gave them a new lease of life.

Chaz

It was indeed. Why, goodness knows, as they had been tried pre war on Humorist, and again post war on the A2/2s, and it was known that they didn't work. With double chimneys they were transformed, and could handle any of the top expresses. One is tempted to think that diesels would not have been necessary if this comparatively cheap modification had been carried out earlier, but of course the Deltics prove otherwise.

• RMweb Premium

One more picture of Woolwinder this morning, now emerging from under the roof.

post-98-0-48402600-1460365911_thumb.jpg

Whilst at the other end yet another shiny B17 pulls in  with the 4.32 arrival from Harwich. Did a Colchester engine ever get to PN? well yes obviously, because here it is. :jester:

post-98-0-86517900-1460366074_thumb.jpg

This train was extended to Doncaster on Fridays only, presumably to cater for forces personnel going on leave.

And now a mission statement. My railway room is a tip, stuff lying about all over, which I can and do trip over. Nor do I know where anything is, because it hasn't been put back where it belongs. No more trains will run, nor will any photographs be taken, until a major clean up has taken place, starting now. Cue determined emoticon.

• Like 6

One more picture of Woolwinder this morning, now emerging from under the roof.

attachicon.gif55 5.JPG

Whilst at the other end yet another shiny B17 pulls in  with the 4.32 arrival from Harwich. Did a Colchester engine ever get to PN? well yes obviously, because here it is. :jester:

attachicon.gif1666 1.jpg

This train was extended to Doncaster on Fridays only, presumably to cater for forces personnel going on leave.

And now a mission statement. My railway room is a tip, stuff lying about all over, which I can and do trip over. Nor do I know where anything is, because it hasn't been put back where it belongs. No more trains will run, nor will any photographs be taken, until a major clean up has taken place, starting now. Cue determined emoticon.

I much prefer the look of a B17 with the GS tender. Of course we shouldn't judge a machine by its appearance but we do!

"a major clean up has taken place, starting now."   can you tell me where to get some, I need a box (tin? packet?) rather urgently. I think it's the cross modellers have to bear.

One small suggestion - anything you have kept "because it might be handy" and haven't found a use for in the last 10/5/2 years (delete to suit the degree of chaos) chuck away. it does help.

Chaz

That, quite frankly, sounds like a contest: Perhaps if you post a picture of how bad it is, while we wait for your next batch, we can see if anyone betters (worses?) it?

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Before.

post-98-0-45564200-1460375958_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-93162100-1460375981_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-01759200-1460376003_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-81492600-1460376025_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-84157000-1460376047_thumb.jpg

And after

post-98-0-23809900-1460376111_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-66533000-1460376140_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-99039800-1460376165_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-21854200-1460376189_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-17678500-1460376212_thumb.jpg

I even hauled Henry the hoover upstairs and gave the floor a going over. Now I realise that I have probably spawned some "You call that a mess....... this is a mess!" sort of posts, but it does look a lot better, and is easier to navigate. And I feel better for it too, though a person with a massive house dust allergy should remember to use his inhaler before starting, not when his breathing is already impaired. Sadly, although I did find one or two things I'd forgotten I had, there was nothing likely to cause a feeding frenzy on E Bay.

• Like 3