Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Phil, I was just thinking about getting a set of MJT sides for a kitchen and an RF thanks for the encouragement! Just a couple of weeks to EXpo EM

You are welcome. 

I didn't really have to do a lot for this part of the build ) sides had all been done (except the drops and hinges, door handle and door grab for the side I did) but I have used the MJT sides before and like their method of doing the panels and the fold over bit at the top of the sides. I think this helps these conversions.

All the best.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I see both of those trains are just two carriages. No change over the years then  -  trains today are mostly just two carriages.

Regarding passenger satisfaction. Gerry Fiennes, that great railway manager, when on the WR had time keeping problems on the WR main line. Stopping passenger trains would regularly wait for passengers holding up main line expresses. He wanted guards to blow their whistles at passengers to get things improved.

Things were particularly poor at junction stations. There was, according to Mr. Fiennes, an old boy network, where the Fishguard boat train called at Challow to pick up commuters.

'' Blow your whistle at them'' he said to the Inspector. ''Sir, we do not blow our whistles at people''.

Mr. Fiennes yearned for Old Joe who used to be a porter at Rayleigh. ''It's time to go, Charlie. Two so-so's running down the hill. Right away.''

A new timetable was introduced worked by DMU's. People did not like either it or the units.

BR retreated on aspects of that timetable. Money was lost. Lessons were learned the hard way.

With best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Premium

I expect you thought I'd forgotten...... :scratchhead:

attachicon.gifImg_0342.jpg

attachicon.gifImg_0343.jpg

I was going to watch some cyclists. That would have involved:

waiting around for hours (in the rain as it turns out);

then seeing a load of crouched bodies whizz past in ten seconds;

waiting for the next bus that might not even run if they were late.

So I did this instead.

Remind me the 'level of detail' you needed before receipt for your workshop. I think you suggested it would be good in maroon and cream? I don't think I can trust myself to get that sort of finish....sorry.

I'd like to boast, however I only did the side in the first photo, prep of the roof, (that needs some interesting vent arrangements), do the HD Bogies*  and added the extra undergubbins (not really visible, but involved moving the two air tanks, adding two dynamos and two more battery boxes).

The alarm gear needs fabricating. If I'd done the whole thing I would have attempted to retain the Hornby moulding as it is such a fine piece of detail, as are the water pipes (they have disappeared as well sadly).

*I have cheated with the bogies so they may not look satisfactory on the layout. Kept the Hornby ones and hacked off and filed down the bogie sides then hacked some MJT castings and filed them thinner. Then I stuck those castings on the Hornby bogie sides. 

The coach now has a lovely, low centre of gravity with the added white metal parts, so I replaced the original underframe weight with  a small amount of lead. I think it is a decent weight now.

Ar$e

I didn't think you had forgotten Phil, but your own project should take precedence, so I didn't expect you to get round to this for a while. It really does look jolly nice, I just love Gresley RCs. I'll PM you later to discuss how we take it from here.

• RMweb Premium

I see both of those trains are just two carriages. No change over the years then  -  trains today are mostly just two carriages.

Regarding passenger satisfaction. Gerry Fiennes, that great railway manager, when on the WR had time keeping problems on the WR main line. Stopping passenger trains would regularly wait for passengers holding up main line expresses. He wanted guards to blow their whistles at passengers to get things improved.

Things were particularly poor at junction stations. There was, according to Mr. Fiennes, an old boy network, where the Fishguard boat train called at Challow to pick up commuters.

'' Blow your whistle at them'' he said to the Inspector. ''Sir, we do not blow our whistles at people''.

Mr. Fiennes yearned for Old Joe who used to be a porter at Rayleigh. ''It's time to go, Charlie. Two so-so's running down the hill. Right away.''

A new timetable was introduced worked by DMU's. People did not like either it or the units.

BR retreated on aspects of that timetable. Money was lost. Lessons were learned the hard way.

With best regards,

Rob.

All a matter of degree though surely? There now seems to be absolutely no discretion allowed at all. The train must leave on time, full stop. I experienced this some years ago, when my train from St Pancras was four minutes late into Nottingham. I ran over the footbridge to get to the connecting local which would take me home, and arrived next to the operative who was standing by the train. He took no notice of me whatsoever, and blew his whistle and waved his little board to start the train. I, and several others who arrived just after me, were left standing. The next train did not leave for over two hours, so I had to take a taxi eight miles through the rush hour traffic to get home, which cost me rather a lot. I did not do that journey by train again. The operative's response when challenged was basically, " more than my job's worth to delay the train". Statistics mean more than people.

• RMweb Premium

You may wonder why I was asking about that V2. Last time I showed it on here, there were comments that it was nose down at the front, so I haven't shown it, or indeed run it, since. I was contemplating getting rid of it, but decided to give it one more go. I'm loth to let it go, as I need all the V2s I can get, and it is a Proscale kit with a very nice portescap motor. I think the camera angle must have exacerbated the problem last time, as there has been little or no adverse comment, save for helpful suggestions from Phil.

I think it is down at the front a tad, but will receive a reprieve and continue in service.

• RMweb Gold

All a matter of degree though surely? There now seems to be absolutely no discretion allowed at all. The train must leave on time, full stop. I experienced this some years ago, when my train from St Pancras was four minutes late into Nottingham. I ran over the footbridge to get to the connecting local which would take me home, and arrived next to the operative who was standing by the train. He took no notice of me whatsoever, and blew his whistle and waved his little board to start the train. I, and several others who arrived just after me, were left standing. The next train did not leave for over two hours, so I had to take a taxi eight miles through the rush hour traffic to get home, which cost me rather a lot. I did not do that journey by train again. The operative's response when challenged was basically, " more than my job's worth to delay the train". Statistics mean more than people.

There is - or should be - an allowance for all connecting stations which specifies the connectional margin (for timetable and journey planning purposes) and additionally a set of notes which specify how long connecting trains may be held in the event of late running of the train(s) booked to connect into them.  The latter  - if done properly - will take account of frequency and the old rule of thumb used to be 'do not hold if the frequency is 30 minutes or better'.  But the allowed holding time also has to take account of what the connecting train is booked to do next.

Our branch has a 45 minute frequency off-peak and there seems to be a happiness to hold trains for several minutes if the mainline train is running late, some connections will stand more.  But during the peak the frequency is down to 30 minutes and the turnrounds are down to 3 minutes so connectons are not held.

PS  Incidentally the Gerry Fiennes whistle blowing incident actually occurred at reading where he was told by a Platform Inspector 'Sir, we do not blow whstles at passengers from Newbury'  - it is related in 'I Tried To Run a Railway'.  The (London Division local services) timetable that was introduced did not involve any new or different types of train as the service was already mainly dieselised but it was rather revolutionary when it came to stopping (or not stopping) patterns and was referred to in his book, by Fiennes, as 'a hogsnorton' of a timetable although knowing in later years (after I'd joined) several people who worked on it it was actually quite a clever piece of timetabling but everybody agreed it was really too much change all at once.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Reading through Gilbert's problems with the 'jobsworth' at Nottingham, reminded me of when I was a store manager in Sheffield,in 1990, and regularly commuted from my home in Lincoln. I used to get the 17.30 ex.Sheffield return and one night they cancelled it. Just like that. Only problem was the next one was 21.00 ! So, I took myself to the Station Manager's office and complained about the intolerable delay (  I would have got home around 23.00). The oik in the office drew on his fag end and said there was little he could do. Why not, I suggested, allow Lincoln passengers to travel to Doncaster and get a connecting train from there?

Next thing I know is the tannoy is announcing 'Lincoln passengers should get a train to Doncaster........'. I did remind the 'oik' to ask Doncaster to hold the connection.

We made it to Doncaster and the train had been held, but the guard/conductor (whoever) was a bit disgruntled.

The thought of getting a taxi from Sheffield to Lincoln gave me a severe pain in the wallet and we moved to Doncaster in 1991.

They are a bit smaller I think. Now you've got me thinking. " I hate meeces to pieces"  Which cartoon character from my childhood said that? Was it Top Cat? This is not off topic, by the way, as it is contemporaneous with PN.

Mr Jinks speaking of Pixie and Dixie. The other two cartoons in a programme of three were Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear.

• RMweb Premium

And indeed the developments are complete now, but it was too late to take any photos, so that will have to wait till tomorrow. I have a couple more from the image bank though.

post-98-0-44555800-1462139964_thumb.jpg

Duke of Rothesay now waiting for the off, while still more coal empties creep along the Down slow, with yet another WD in charge.

post-98-0-67978800-1462140111_thumb.jpg

And the same two locos, plus station pilot, from a different angle, and monochrome.

• Like 17

Mr Jinks speaking of Pixie and Dixie. The other two cartoons in a programme of three were Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear.

Not forgetting BooBoo, Yogi's companion. One of the Kellogs cereal products of the time had a 'free' badge in each packet, showing one of the 6 characters. P & D were very common, Mr. J  and Yogi less so, but rarest were Booboo and Huck, I never got a Huck!

Model spotters of a certain age around PN's time should have these on their lapels!

Cheers from OZ,

Peter C.

• RMweb Premium

Not forgetting BooBoo, Yogi's companion. One of the Kellogs cereal products of the time had a 'free' badge in each packet, showing one of the 6 characters. P & D were very common, Mr. J  and Yogi less so, but rarest were Booboo and Huck, I never got a Huck!

Model spotters of a certain age around PN's time should have these on their lapels!

Cheers from OZ,

Peter C.

Ah Boo Boo......

When I was in the REME our metalsmith's shop was in a different building to the main workshop. We had a field telephone connecting us with the workshop office, that is two phones with two wires between them. :imsohappy: Our Staff Sergeant would always answer the phone " Yogi bear's cave Boo boo speaking". :telephone:  The number of times the person on the other end would say "Sorry wrong number" and put the phone down. :bye:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah Boo Boo......

When I was in the REME our metalsmith's shop was in a different building to the main workshop. We had a field telephone connecting us with the workshop office, that is two phones with two wires between them. :imsohappy: Our Staff Sergeant would always answer the phone " Yogi bear's cave Boo boo speaking". :telephone:  The number of times the person on the other end would say "Sorry wrong number" and put the phone down. :bye:

One of my work colleagues started doing something similar. His invariable answer when the external phone rang would be " Dante's inferno, Dante speaking."  I always  worried a bit when I heard it, as we did occasionally get some rather important people wanting to talk to us, and the organisation was not renowned for its sense of humour. He got away with it though, and anyway he only had two years to retirement.

• Like 5

Totally off topic, but as you've drifted into military conversations I thought you'd like to hear about this recent one that came to my attention through a friend in the RAF...

"Unidentified aircraft this is Argentine Air Traffic Control. You are in restricted airspace. Leave immediately."

"Argentine Air Traffic this is unidentified aircraft. Actually we're in Falklands Airspace and as we're British we have every right to be here."

"Unidentified aircraft this is Argentine Air Traffic Control. If you do not leave immediately we will send up interceptors. Please state the nature of your aircraft"

"Argentine Air Traffic this is unidentified aircraft. We're actually a pair of RAF Tornados, and we're fully loaded.

... Do please feel free to send them up and we'll be sure to say 'hello'."

...silence...

You've gotta love our boys in light blue!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Totally off topic, but as you've drifted into military conversations I thought you'd like to hear about this recent one that came to my attention through a friend in the RAF...

"Unidentified aircraft this is Argentine Air Traffic Control. You are in restricted airspace. Leave immediately."

"Argentine Air Traffic this is unidentified aircraft. Actually we're in Falklands Airspace and as we're British we have every right to be here."

"Unidentified aircraft this is Argentine Air Traffic Control. If you do not leave immediately we will send up interceptors. Please state the nature of your aircraft"

"Argentine Air Traffic this is unidentified aircraft. We're actually a pair of RAF Tornados, and we're fully loaded.

...silence...

Unfortunately, nice story that it is, some on line sources say this is an internet myth. I'll take it as an amusing story that may or may not be true.

• RMweb Gold

And indeed the developments are complete now, but it was too late to take any photos, so that will have to wait till tomorrow. I have a couple more from the image bank though.

attachicon.gif508 and WD.jpg

Duke of Rothesay now waiting for the off, while still more coal empties creep along the Down slow, with yet another WD in charge.

attachicon.gif508 and WD 2.jpg

And the same two locos, plus station pilot, from a different angle, and monochrome.

Hmm, er, 'scuse me guv but how come Peterboro' North has nicked all those GWR pattern 4 wheeler platform trolleys?

Signed Pedant of the Thames Valley

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, er, 'scuse me guv but how come Peterboro' North has nicked all those GWR pattern 4 wheeler platform trolleys?

Signed Pedant of the Thames Valley

Ah! glad you noticed that. Actually, they came from Tetley's Mills - Dave wasn't bothered about such niceties, and to a degree neither am I. It was an opportunity to increase the number of trolleys, without having to part scratchbuild some more. And if I want to do that, I have to remember where I got the donors from to do the hacking about in the first place.

• Like 1

Re connecting services vs passengers who are simply late arriving, surely they are different cases and should be treated differently?

I went to Aberdeen a couple of months ago, by train rather flying up for some reason which now escapes me. This involves a change at Haymarket. I was advised by the guard on the way up to change at Edinburgh Waverley, because it was a slightly longer connection (it was quite bad enough, thanks, but slightly longer and didn't involve the over bridge). This was not actually correct, because (due to the change in opco) my ticket didn't actually provide for that.

There were at least two others made the same change, and the guard on the Aberdeen train didn't come through until after Haymarket which suggested that it was a well known issue and not regarded as worth pursuing..

• RMweb Gold

One of my work colleagues started doing something similar. His invariable answer when the external phone rang would be " Dante's inferno, Dante speaking."  I always  worried a bit when I heard it, as we did occasionally get some rather important people wanting to talk to us, and the organisation was not renowned for its sense of humour. He got away with it though, and anyway he only had two years to retirement.

Back in the early '70s, there was a shunter at Selhurst Depot who could disarm the unwary. His phone number was 3388, and so he would answer it "Two threes, two eights". My late father, even longer ago, had got into the habit of answering the phone with the word "Speak" but decided the day he found the MD was on the other end that this might be a poor idea, and used his surname thereafter.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

...silence...

Apologies for the off topic posting, I'm sorry to throw a dampener on this but it is a bit of folklore it seems, it was on facebook last week and has been appearing on various internet forums since 2012 at least - try this story from https://www.reddit.com/r/thatHappened/comments/1kmfek/a_true_story_of_the_royal_air_forces_bravery_and/

I heard of something like this but with U.S Marines

"In addition to communicating with the local Air Traffic Control facility, all aircraft in the Persian Gulf AOR are required to give the Iranian Air Defense Radar (military) a ten minute 'heads up' if they will be transiting Iranian airspace.

This is a common procedure for commercial aircraft and involves giving them your call sign, transponder code, type aircraft, and points of origin and destination.

I just flew with a guy who overheard this conversation on the VHF Guard (emergency) frequency 121.5 MHz while flying from Europe to Dubai . It's too good not to pass along."

The conversation went like this... Iranian Air Defense Radar: 'Unknown aircraft you are in Iranian airspace. Identify yourself.' Aircraft: 'This is a United States aircraft. I am in Iraqi airspace.'

Air Defense Radar: 'You are in Iranian airspace. If you do not depart our airspace we will launch interceptor aircraft!'

Aircraft: 'This is a United States Marine Corps FA-18 fighter. Send 'em up, I'll wait!'

Air Defense Radar: (no response ... total silence)

Seem familiar, this one has been around since 2008.

There is also a very similar exchange supposedly between a US naval vessel and another party which seems, in one version, to be a lighthouse.

Anyway, let's get back to railways and drop these little diversions.

I like the new Spitals bridge, but I'm thrown a little as the Midland arches have been altered since 1958/9 and the real thing looks different now.

_MG_8700_zpsax1v4vva.jpg

Edited by Richard E