Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Harris should have stuck to singing rather than trying to translate info from Donny works where stuff wasn't built to the plans anyway. Anita couldn't help getting some things wrong so we must forgive her.

Anyway, for a change we can have a laugh at the Drake's expense (and no, it is nothing to do with a certain event at 18.00 at Home Park. By 20.00/30 the Drake could be a broken foul).

Having forgotten to go to bed last evening, I was, at far too late an hour, checking through the Cambian Kits website as I had f***d up a Cambrian Walrus bogie by trying to be too clever by using a nice brass etch instead of the kit bogie fitting (plastic moulding and is absolutely fine). Having made up the etches and hacked the supplied plastic mouldings, I realised that the ride height was going to be incorrect if used with the kit's bogie mounting plate. Ar$e I quacked!  Now, I could have fettled some sort of new fitting but I also then broke one of the etches (my solder joint snapped) as I was trying to increase the original hole size in the etch top (presumably where the bolt would go for a 'new' fitting?) to accommodate the existing kit bogie mounting.

Cutting a far too long a story short, I emailed Cambrian pleading as to whether I could obtain bogie fittings, without looking too carefully and then, of course, found that they very sensibly supply bogies for their Engineers' Wagons as a separate item! Doh!

Now all I have to do is order some more. However, do I order one and use that and the etched one I have manaed to modify with hours of reaming, or do I buy two replacement plastic ones and store the remaining etched one?  No brainer as some young people insist on saying.....................

So, coaches........nice friendly items. Wagons......pah!

I must point out though that the bogie mounting etches will work fine if in the hands of someone that has a brain and has remembered how they are adapted to fit a Cambrian Walrus. Co coo ca chu.

Gilbert related bit..........................is that bloke with the blue trousers and a stick thingy a new person on the platform end, or have I just been not looking properly over the last two years or so? 

Personally I want to see the return of the Donny Hot Pants gang :nono:

Quack

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Harris should have stuck to singing rather than trying to translate info from Donny works where stuff wasn't built to the plans anyway. Anita couldn't help getting some things wrong so we must forgive her.

Anyway, for a change we can have a laugh at the Drake's expense (and no, it is nothing to do with a certain event at 18.00 at Home Park. By 20.00/30 the Drake could be a broken foul).

Having forgotten to go to bed last evening, I was, at far too late an hour, checking through the Cambian Kits website as I had f***d up a Cambrian Walrus bogie by trying to be too clever by using a nice brass etch instead of the kit bogie fitting (plastic moulding and is absolutely fine). Having made up the etches and hacked the supplied plastic mouldings, I realised that the ride height was going to be incorrect if used with the kit's bogie mounting plate. Ar$e I quacked!  Now, I could have fettled some sort of new fitting but I also then broke one of the etches (my solder joint snapped) as I was trying to increase the original hole size in the etch top (presumably where the bolt would go for a 'new' fitting?) to accommodate the existing kit bogie mounting.

Cutting a far too long a story short, I emailed Cambrian pleading as to whether I could obtain bogie fittings, without looking too carefully and then, of course, found that they very sensibly supply bogies for their Engineers' Wagons as a separate item! Doh!

Now all I have to do is order some more. However, do I order one and use that and the etched one I have manaed to modify with hours of reaming, or do I buy two replacement plastic ones and store the remaining etched one?  No brainer as some young people insist on saying.....................

So, coaches........nice friendly items. Wagons......pah!

I must point out though that the bogie mounting etches will work fine if in the hands of someone that has a brain and has remembered how they are adapted to fit a Cambrian Walrus. Co coo ca chu.

Gilbert related bit..........................is that bloke with the blue trousers and a stick thingy a new person on the platform end, or have I just been not looking properly over the last two years or so? 

Personally I want to see the return of the Donny Hot Pants gang :nono:

Quack

He be a wheel tapper Phil, but he isn't going to tap much standing over there, is he? And yes, he arrived recently.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's a very tasty D10c old bean. May I presume upon you to take a pic of the roof so that I might see wot you dun to get it looking so tidy? AFAICS the roof arrangements were more or less the same on the D144s.

Phil

Phil/ Gilbert,

I've now had time to get the big camera out and take some decent fots. Unfortunately this shows up my slightly dodgy workmanship (3ft rule applies!), but I hope it gives you a clear view of (my interpretation of) the roof layout. I borrowed heavily on a discussion on LNER Forum  as below:

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7030&p=63787&hilit=further+d10c+restaurant+car+question#p63787

This has some useful roof diagrams posted by Mike Trice, but there is still some interpretation especially as it seems to have changed post war. Let me know if you conclude something different to me.

Cheers

Andy

post-19760-0-07569000-1463345927_thumb.jpg

post-19760-0-11059300-1463345929_thumb.jpg

post-19760-0-66252500-1463345932_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Phil/ Gilbert,

I've now had time to get the big camera out and take some decent fots. Unfortunately this shows up my slightly dodgy workmanship (3ft rule applies!), but I hope it gives you a clear view of (my interpretation of) the roof layout. I borrowed heavily on a discussion on LNER Forum  as below:

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7030&p=63787&hilit=further+d10c+restaurant+car+question#p63787

This has some useful roof diagrams posted by Mike Trice, but there is still some interpretation especially as it seems to have changed post war. Let me know if you conclude something different to me.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks matey. That is so kind of you to take the time to do that. It confirms most things but really helps, especially with those pipes. Still can't identify the 'slightly dodgy' parts though. Are you sure you fitted them :no: ?

Love the innards too. First sausages; are they inside or ouside fitted Andy?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Thanks matey. That is so kind of you to take the time to do that. It confirms most things but really helps, especially with those pipes. Still can't identify the 'slightly dodgy' parts though. Are you sure you fitted them :no: ?

Love the innards too. First sausages; are they inside or ouside fitted Andy?

Phil

Outside fitted - Inside is far too fidlly for me!

Ahem. Reluctant as I am to seem to decry anyone's work - and that is a very fine carriage - the window between the kitchen door and the toilet on the kitchen side is the attendant's compartment and should be clear.

One here from Larry, post #1881, which puts all of ours to shame as you'd expect.

Ahem. Reluctant as I am to seem to decry anyone's work - and that is a very fine carriage - the window between the kitchen door and the toilet on the kitchen side is the attendant's compartment and should be clear.

One here from Larry, post #1881, which puts all of ours to shame as you'd expect.

Wasn't that dependent on period?

Only if you're female...

(ducks inbound brickbats due to politically incorrect comment)

I didn't think it was "politically incorrect", just crass, and not what I'd expect from someone with your user name.

Retreats to suck lemons, waiting to be accused of having no sense of humour, and to be told that it was just a joke, love...

Wasn't that dependent on period?

Quite possible and since my modelling era peters out in the 1950s (and my knowledge of ECML is firmly prewar) I'm very happy to be corrected and proffer apology if that is the case. It is one of the things I notice, though, having built one and I can't ever remember seeing a picture of one with that window whitened over.

• RMweb Premium

I'm also suspicious that it might have been a droplight as I am sure I have seen a pic of the real thing with that window partly open.............however, you all know about what I think I've seen, ahhem!

P

• RMweb Premium

Actually, I am now the proud and fortunate owner of that RC of Larrys. I can remember Tony Wright taking me to task about one of mine, and saying the attendant's window should be clear, even in BR days. Logic would dictate surely that if there was a need for the attendant to be able to see outside in LNER days the same need would exist post war?

• RMweb Premium

Actually, I am now the proud and fortunate owner of that RC of Larrys. I can remember Tony Wright taking me to task about one of mine, and saying the attendant's window should be clear, even in BR days. Logic would dictate surely that if there was a need for the attendant to be able to see outside in LNER days the same need would exist post war?

I actually looked at that picture on Tony's forum and decided that the drop light was down! Thanks for the correction - easily fixed. Phil, the first class sausages are from Modelmaster (ref 4430). I find them easy to fit and pretty robust.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I actually looked at that picture on Tony's forum and decided that the drop light was down! Thanks for the correction - easily fixed. Phil, the first class sausages are from Modelmaster (ref 4430). I find them easy to fit and pretty robust.

Andy

While we're talking about whited out windows, can anyone give me a definitive answer on when windows were white, and when they were frosted?

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, do you have any of that particular Modelmaster set?

Phil

I think so Phil, but I think I also bought some double sided ones so that they could be fixed on the inside as they should be. I'm a trifle fatigued just now, but I'll search through my tip, I mean modelling desk, in the morning.

• RMweb Gold
Morning Gent's.

Would someone please explain what is being referred to as "Sausages" on that Coach ?

Because the words Restaurant Car and Sausages together in my mind just mean ......well breakfast.

Check the "class" indication in the windows. It causes CK to suffer hunger pangs!

It says 'FIRST'.

Modelmaster, the HMRS and (my preference) Precision Decals all offer these. They make a surprising difference to the appearance of a carriage (along with the red triangle 'No Smoking' notices) for something so small.