Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Mostly RTR Andy. The BSK is a conversion using a Hornby sleeper underframe, including standard bogies, so that will just be the camera playing tricks again. The CK was made by Ian Willets using MJT sides, and the Thompson SK I think by Mike Radford, and one of the Gresley BGs I got from Larry Goddard who had done a lovely conversion job on it, but then wasn't satisfied.

The Hornby Sleeper underframe would explain it. These (and some BGs) have different bogies with two lines of rivets above the axle box. I think this is Hornby's attempt at a heavy duty bogie, but as far as I can see there are no other differences...so not very heavy duty! I used the sleeper underframe for my restaurant car, and I'm trying to get away with the Hornby bogie!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby Sleeper underframe would explain it. These (and some BGs) have different bogies with two lines of rivets above the axle box. I think this is Hornby's attempt at a heavy duty bogie, but as far as I can see there are no other differences...so not very heavy duty! I used the sleeper underframe for my restaurant car, and I'm trying to get away with the Hornby bogie!

Andy

Yes indeed, that would explain it. Thanks Andy. As you say, hardly what is required for a proper heavy duty bogie though. Back to the cosmetic sides that have been sitting looking at me for weeks.

• RMweb Premium

Yes indeed, that would explain it. Thanks Andy. As you say, hardly what is required for a proper heavy duty bogie though. Back to the cosmetic sides that have been sitting looking at me for weeks.

I know what you mean...I bought two sets from MJT last weekend. I wonder when they'll get built!

Oh joy! An uninterrupted night's sleep. I can now summon up enough enthusiasm to take some more photos. In the meantime, I have this one left over from the last lot. Any requests? Favourite locos?  types of train? A particular view point? I am fast approaching the end of the sequence, and will have to rearrange things anyway, so it would be easier to set things up at that stage.

attachicon.gif70 again.jpg

I always enjoy seeing your A5 up close, Gilbert.  So if you fancy bring her out for a spin...

• RMweb Premium

I know what you mean...I bought two sets from MJT last weekend. I wonder when they'll get built!

Hornby bogies off.

MJT H.D. Bogie side (don't need the whole bogie set gubbins, just the cosmetic sides; if you have the whole bogie set you will need to remove the 'lip' on the rear of the sides......how do I know this?) gets the bastar# file treatment on the back to take off about a mm. Hornby bogie side gets the knife hack treatment on the detail face and a whiff of the aforementioned file to remove about half a mm (or more if you have the patience). 

Out with the Evostick, have a quick sniff of it to make sure it is fresh. Take slimline MJT side and add glue to rear. Take Hornby bogie and add glue to side face. Look out of window for about 15 seconds to admire whatever. Attach MJT side to Hornby bogie. Adjust and admire!

Repeat 3 times. Total fettling and faffing time is approximately 45 minutes for both bogies.

OK so they may look a bit 'wide, but they look a damn site better reps of H.D ones.

One thing to beware of is top clearance as the sides are 'deeper'.

Phil

Edit for idiot maths ! 

Edited by Mallard60022

I really like that first shot, which IMHO has a far more convincing viewpoint. (Might it be possible to reduce the gap between the loco' and its tender?)

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

I really like that first shot, which IMHO has a far more convincing viewpoint. (Might it be possible to reduce the gap between the loco' and its tender?)

Chaz

It would indeed, I just failed to hook it up properly. :senile:  I agree on the viewpoint, that one comes off much better.

• RMweb Gold

What a superb photo that is. The contrast between the light and the dark is captured to perfection, just as if someone was stood in that place and photographing the train back in 1958.

Can you reproduce it in B&W as well please? It will look even more realistic.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

If you're still takings requests GB and the timetable allows, a Type 4 in the platform with an A4 approaching (or vice versa) both with an eclectic mix of passenger and parcel stock would cover my personal favourites on PN... :senile: :locomotive: 

Thanks!

David

• RMweb Premium

What a superb photo that is. The contrast between the light and the dark is captured to perfection, just as if someone was stood in that place and photographing the train back in 1958.

Can you reproduce it in B&W as well please? It will look even more realistic.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

No problem, Rob.

post-98-0-80905500-1464039494_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

All requests should be dealt with on Wednesday, too much else going on tomorrow, but they shall be accomodated. In the meantime, here is positively the last shot of 60143.post-98-0-82068100-1464039821_thumb.jpg

This is a pretty harsh close up for an RTR loco, and personally I think it comes out of it very creditably. If anyone is wondering where the cylinder drain cocks have gone, well first they tend to fall off anyway, but also when trying to rail up the front bogie they tend to get pinched in, and cause derailments on curves. So, when they do fall off, even if I find them they often don't get put back on.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

If requests are still open, could we have more goods trains please sir?  I have a bit of a hankering for them of late, must be that O1 and O2 that have recently been added to my roster.

Any pics of PN satisfy any requests I might make (A1s, B17s, J6s, streaks, non-deflectored A3s...), so just keep posting them Gilbert!

Cheers

Tony