Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

What a lovely model of a B12/3 that is. I just wonder if you be at all tempted by the forthcoming model from Hornby. And I love those J6's, thank you for posting those photos of 64260 yesterday.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What a lovely model of a B12/3 that is. I just wonder if you be at all tempted by the forthcoming model from Hornby. And I love those J6's, thank you for posting those photos of 64260 yesterday.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

How can I put this? I don't need another B12, but when did that ever stop me? :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another photo of the Tees Tyne Pullman this evening.

post-98-0-60969800-1478557053_thumb.jpg

The day I took this, and some subsequent images, was very dull, to the extent that I had to draw back the blinds completely to get any light at all. As you can see, despite that we get shadows, but there was no sun. :scratchhead: We also get stygian gloom at the Spital Bridge end of the room, but I keep taking pictures with the camera pointing in that direction, and so get impossible photoshopping tasks. Apologies then for the state of the background, which I assure you looks horrible if magnified any more than this. Which of course means a lot of you will. :jester:  I know I promised to stop apologising, but sometimes I just feel one is necessary.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought, Gilbert, but have you considered using flood lights. They may help in these circumstances, and fill the gloomy areas with lighting.

With best regards,

Rob.

A permanent strip of LEDs down that end is the preferred option at the moment Rob, if it turns out to be a practical proposition. As usual though, I haven't got around to it yet.

A permanent strip of LEDs down that end is the preferred option at the moment Rob, if it turns out to be a practical proposition. As usual though, I haven't got around to it yet.

You might want to check that your camera will work with LEDs. My Lumix compact is completely thrown by LED lighting and consistently underexposes. When we installed a new light cluster with LED type bulbs fitted I tried to photograph it lit but had no success. I suspect the camera gets confused by the AC flicker, which LEDs can respond to very fast being semi-conductors - there is no smoothing effect as there is with incandescant lights.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

You might want to check that your camera will work with LEDs. My Lumix compact is completely thrown by LED lighting and consistently underexposes. When we installed a new light cluster with LED type bulbs fitted I tried to photograph it lit but had no success. I suspect the camera gets confused by the AC flicker, which LEDs can respond to very fast being semi-conductors - there is no smoothing effect as there is with incandescant lights.

Chaz

Thanks Chaz, I'll try an experiment with my kitchen lighting, as that is LED now.

Blimey! I forget to check in for 10-15 days, and there's another 300 posts waiting for me!!!

Love the shots, very inspirational!

Makes me wish I had the money and time to be able to start on Dunoon in full (with 1 other layout under construction and a second started, I can't start on such a large project right now, not to mention the lack of planning I've done for Dunoon). 

Not sure if it's been discussed here already, but what are the origins of the B12?

As far as they go, i'm almost certainly going to get one when Hornby release them, as they are lovely locos!

Peter

• RMweb Premium

I fear that the preparation crew at 34A have been a bit remiss in not greasing the buffer faces on Andrew K, they wouldn't want them going rusty...

Chaz

Actually Chaz I think they have been 'burnished' for the Pullman link so only following the gaffer's orders I suspect. They may well have a clear coating of grease but I can't tell. 

Phil

Another front view of the Pullman this morning, as I was still checking out the effect of the black paint on the lamps.

attachicon.gifTT 3.JPG

I've also done a few more close ups on buildings, so here is another of those.

attachicon.gifbuilding corner.JPG

A bit of bedding in still to be done.

Gilbert,

Might I suggest grey or silver instead of black on those lamps.   To me, the black seems a bit too "heavy".

Stuart

Gilbert,

Might I suggest grey or silver instead of black on those lamps.   To me, the black seems a bit too "heavy".

Stuart

I have used a spot of Araldite in the lens before now, it gives quite a nice domed effect.

Thanks Chaz, I'll try an experiment with my kitchen lighting, as that is LED now.

Hello Gilbert,

I have found a problem with using strip LEDs for photographic lighting. They seem so intense and directional that there are multiple shadows which make the end result most unrealistic. It may not be an issue if you are using conventional lookalikes with an opalescent cover over the LEDs.

I really enjoy reading your posts and must congratulate you on the quality of your layout. Keep up the good work.

Regards, Dan

• RMweb Premium

Blimey! I forget to check in for 10-15 days, and there's another 300 posts waiting for me!!!

Love the shots, very inspirational!

Makes me wish I had the money and time to be able to start on Dunoon in full (with 1 other layout under construction and a second started, I can't start on such a large project right now, not to mention the lack of planning I've done for Dunoon). 

Not sure if it's been discussed here already, but what are the origins of the B12?

As far as they go, i'm almost certainly going to get one when Hornby release them, as they are lovely locos!

Peter

The B12 was made by Tony Wright and painted by Ian Rathbone, Peter, back in 2002 when I was Captain of my Golf Club. It was partly funded as my present from the Committee at the end of my year, so it has a lot of significance for me.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hello Gilbert,

I have found a problem with using strip LEDs for photographic lighting. They seem so intense and directional that there are multiple shadows which make the end result most unrealistic. It may not be an issue if you are using conventional lookalikes with an opalescent cover over the LEDs.

I really enjoy reading your posts and must congratulate you on the quality of your layout. Keep up the good work.

Regards, Dan

Thanks Dan, I shall bear that in mind, and perhaps something more conventional might be the answer. Things rarely turn out to be simple, do they?

Tonight we have one last shot of Andrew K.

attachicon.gifTT 4.JPG

and then attention switches to the next arrival from the North end, which is a train I remember well, a slow passenger from Doncaster which ran via the GN/GE to Lincoln, then to Boston, and thence to PN. I've seen plenty of photos of this train taken at Boston, always headed by a B17, but I can't remember seeing one on it at Lincoln. Just unlucky, I suppose.

attachicon.gif1630 1.JPG

That's got to be the best shot of No. 3 with those superb Pullman cars in tow. (But wouldn't the loco have been better if it had kept its original name Osprey?)

Chaz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good luck Gilbert, make sure to stay dry and warm, can't have you catching cold.

there was snow lying around Doncaster this morning by the way.

Thanks Richard. No leaf collecting, too wet, so I collected stray golf balls with which people had succeeded in missing the driving range boundaries, often by a considerable distance. I also discovered that my winter golf boots let in water. :sad_mini2: This will cost me a meduim sized locomotive, as there is nothing worse than wet feet. Doncaster? That's oop North, they get a lot of snow up there. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Richard. No leaf collecting, too wet, so I collected stray golf balls with which people had succeeded in missing the driving range boundaries, often by a considerable distance. I also discovered that my winter golf boots let in water. :sad_mini2: This will cost me a meduim sized locomotive, as there is nothing worse than wet feet. Doncaster? That's oop North, they get a lot of snow up there. :jester:

Snow, what snow? Had my sleeveless vest ready an all

post-2326-0-92809500-1478701264.jpg

H. Ardblokefromrotferd.