Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

That last photo is absolute quality and looks totally realistic, well maybe but for some steam drifting across - or am I being picky?

Mike

No, you are quite right, and it is something I think about every time I do an under the roof shot. I'm by no means convinced that computer generated smoke looks right though, even if I knew how to do it.

• RMweb Premium

Seen that this shot has just been uploaded to Flickr.31618335115_dd3baa4737_z.jpgH.A. Ivatt at Peterborough (pjs,0626) by Geoff Dowling, on Flickr

Interesting that the front two Gresley have ventilators offset from the centreline. I knew that was the case on Thompson corridor stock, but I'd not noticed it on Gresley before. Is that of often the case?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello. The train in the photo' is composed of a Gresley BCK, and on enlarging the photo in Flickr, the vents are all in line. Then the next two coaches are Thompson, with the first one being an SK, with the vents, as expected, offset. The rest of the coaches are too difficult to decipher, but they could be Gresley. Gresley corridor stock, as far as I am aware, did not have offset vents. I hope this of some additional help.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hello. The train in the photo' is composed of a Gresley BCK, and on enlarging the photo in Flickr, the vents are all in line. Then the next two coaches are Thompson, with the first one being an SK, with the vents, as expected, offset. The rest of the coaches are too difficult to decipher, but they could be Gresley. Gresley corridor stock, as far as I am aware, did not have offset vents. I hope this of some additional help.

Best regards,

Rob.

Thanks. My mistake for not spotting the Thompson! it's a strange trick of the lens on that front Gresley.

So, what delights do I have for you this morning? How about......some huts.

attachicon.gifhuts.JPG

But for those who may find them a bit mundane, here is a lovely Claud to gaze at as well.

attachicon.gifClaud.JPG

Not A lovely Claud, but THE lovely Claud!. Dear old 62613, last of the class, and still with that beautiful outside framing. I wonder when she will be rediscovered in that farm building that she was locked in when withdrawn....?

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

So now we see the differing attitudes of Top Shed and Gateshead to engine cleaning in a side by side view. 60070 may well have been mechanically sound, but the impact on the travelling public?

post-98-0-04100800-1481795442_thumb.jpg

And then another example of Tim's craftsmanship, this time the 02/4.

post-98-0-28639500-1481795530_thumb.jpg

I know I've said it before, but what a well proportioned and graceful engine, considering it was designed for no other purpose than the moving of heavy freight.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

So now we see the differing attitudes of Top Shed and Gateshead to engine cleaning in a side by side view. 60070 may well have been mechanically sound, but the impact on the travelling public?

I have been thinking about this. At this time there was no shortage of well paid work on Tyneside. Cleaner at a dirty loco shed was not as attractive as (say) well paid dock worker, shipbuilder, local industry employee and also the opportunity of joining the services. Down in London, I suspect that the willingness of certain groups of the population to work for low wages enabled the railway to recruit relatively easily? I also suspect Mr Townend valued this supply of workers and probably arranged for them to get good pay through overtime and extra duties? Back then I suspect there were few people of colour arriving in and settling in Tyneside, however what do I know of the Social History of the two areas?

Alternatively perhaps the 'management' at Gatehead were just disinterested as I seem to remember that just across the Tyne at Heaton, the Top Link loco's were kept looking smart.

Olly Rag. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have been thinking about this. At this time there was no shortage of well paid work on Tyneside. Cleaner at a dirty loco shed was not as attractive as (say) well paid dock worker, shipbuilder, local industry employee and also the opportunity of joining the services. Down in London, I suspect that the willingness of certain groups of the population to work for low wages enabled the railway to recruit relatively easily? I also suspect Mr Townend valued this supply of workers and probably arranged for them to get good pay through overtime and extra duties? Back then I suspect there were few people of colour arriving in and settling in Tyneside, however what do I know of the Social History of the two areas?

Alternatively perhaps the 'management' at Gatehead were just disinterested as I seem to remember that just across the Tyne at Heaton, the Top Link loco's were kept looking smart.

Olly Rag. 

In fact it was already difficult getting labour in London by then - the Western sent people over to the West Indies to recruit staff for shed work and there were quite a number of them at Old Oak and Old Oak was always short of men to promote into Fireman's vacancies.  I have wondered if Top Shed might have used labourers to assist with engine cleaning although perhaps they had no trouble getting men into the footplate grade there and I believe Top Shed also had a Chargehand in charge of the cleaning gang which no doubt made a difference  (Cleaners actually being men 'In The Line of Promotion' - to Fireman and eventually Driver) 

Olly Rag. 

Good point.

I believe that Peter Townend's cleaning team were mainly of Polish origin. I don't know whether they were new arrivals or men who remained in the UK after the ww2.

• RMweb Premium

Good point.

I believe that Peter Townend's cleaning team were mainly of Polish origin. I don't know whether they were new arrivals or men who remained in the UK after the ww2.

I suspect the latter. I also think I've read something about this somewhere.

Phil

• Like 1

Olly Rag. 

I was a young spotter on Tyneside from 1960 onwards, and confess to not noticing at the time how scruffy 52A locos were. The most logical reason I was more recently given was that the volume of sheds and loco work around the Tyne/Wear/Wansbeck area meant that cleaners rapidly passed up the ranks to become footplate staff, so that particular category of worker was always in short supply. Why particular locos were not looked after by Gateshead for the prestige trains is a bit puzzling, though I suppose the sheer volume of mainline passenger work, certainly compared to Heaton, is probably a factor. Conversely, Gateshead's pacifics had an excellent reputation for their mechanical condition,.

Did the average passenger really care about how clean the loco was if it ran on time and the coaching stock was clean? I suspect not. Grime was everywhere in those days.

Gateshead's management may or may not have been interested in how clean their locos were, but they certainly were quick enough to chase scruffy urchins who they caught "bunking"

What a great thread this is.

John

• Like 2