Peterborough North

great northern

What shall we have today? How about another Claud shot to start with?

attachicon.gif2529 3.JPG

I've been doing a bit of research, and established that by Feb 59 just 14 D16s remained. Bad news, but of those 14, half were allocated to March, Kings Lynn and Spital Bridge, so you were more likely to see one, or more, in the Peterborough area than just about anywhere else.

The next shot is way out of order, but also not on the sequence, so as you have all been very good lately, I'll post it now. The signalman has a nine minute margin before the next scheduled movement on the Down main, and so can let this line of locomotives. their day's work done, hurry through on their way back to New England. Pure GN.

attachicon.gifthree engines 3.JPG

Please forgive me incorrect lamps, and the occasional failure to see that things aren't railed up properly. My vision is not good at present.

That photo reminds me of some video footage I saw of the Lickey Incline, c. 1962. Swindon provided Bromsgrove shed with about six 84xx's for banking on the Lickey, and a 9F hauled freight, or perhaps oil train, was making great progress up the bank thanks to four of the 84XXs, which once at the top were sent down again in convoy as they were badly needed back at base.

and then the camera spied the Claud again, and insisted on another portrait. And who could blame it?

attachicon.gif2529 4.JPG

You've done us proud for Claud shots. Wonderfully evocative images of a beautiful design.

If you run out of requests, can I greedily add that more M&GN shots would always be most welcome?

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We have a lovely fine mild morning, so I shall go and persuade my knee that golf is good for it, as the Doctor assures me it will be. First though, positively the last picture of Dante.

post-98-0-03720500-1489483355_thumb.jpg

Another that seemed better suited to the black and white treatment. Then we had the arrival of a Boston - Stanground sidings (Peterborough East) Class F. Boston had plenty of J6s, and have used one on this duty today.

post-98-0-13899900-1489483440_thumb.jpg

This is another loco that my uncle Tom will certainly have driven, and which I remember seeing on my Sunday visits to Boston shed with him back in the mid 50s. How lucky I was, without realising it at the time.

• Like 18

Gilbert, I have been following PN for some time now and am impressed by your modelling and photographic skills; also by the patience you must have photo-shopping so many of the scenes. 

Apropos your mobility problem, or lack of, mentioned in previous posts (sorry for the late comment - just returned home from abroad -UK- and catching up.) Here is a solution which works for me. Heavy duty plant pot or furniture skates - I use them for moving round under the layout either kneeling or sitting and for access to the window bay on one side of the layout.

post-15074-0-04885900-1489490870_thumb.jpg

There is no name for my layout yet but it is a freelance folded figure eight dog bone. This evolved because having broken my back 6 years ago the original duck under was too awkward to negotiate even with a generous 40" clearance.

post-15074-0-45165600-1489490895_thumb.jpg

Best regards

Dan Horan

aka dashnieuil

Edited by dashnieuil
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, I have been following PN for some time now and am impressed by your modelling and photographic skills; also by the patience you must have photo-shopping so many of the scenes. 

Apropos your mobility problem, or lack of, mentioned in previous posts (sorry for the late comment - just returned home from abroad -UK- and catching up.) Here is a solution which works for me. Heavy duty plant pot or furniture skates - I use them for moving round under the layout either kneeling or sitting and for access to the window bay on one side of the layout.

attachicon.gifDSCN5240.JPG

There is no name for my layout yet but it is a freelance folded figure eight dog bone. This evolved because having broken my back 6 years ago the original duck under was too awkward to negotiate even with a generous 40" clearance.

attachicon.gifDSCN5237.JPG

Best regards

Dan Horan

aka dashnieuil

Thank you. What an excellent idea. I shall adopt it, as my knees don't like the crawling at the best of times.

• RMweb Premium

This morning we continue to follow the progress of Happy Knight, although of course at PN it is getting on for 9.00pm.

post-98-0-95061800-1489569899_thumb.jpg

The J11 will be off to Grimsby in a few minutes.

post-98-0-35476800-1489569948_thumb.jpg

and 60533 is then seen from the other side, as the light begins to fade.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I've seen pictures of them on the Kyle of Lochalsh line. I understand Thompson/Gresley BGs also travelled around, so I'm going to include one in a pigeon special I'm planning for my new layout.

There are several specified in the official formations book for 1958, so they have to be included, but yes, in any event they did seem to get everywhere.

• RMweb Premium

Not much to report today, really, still hobbling about, but I'm off for some physio tomorrow, so hopeeully there will be improvement. Tonight's offerings are some more views of that GN cavalcade heading for home at the end of the working day. As the previously featured J6 is passing on the Up, you get even more GN flavour this time.

post-98-0-91850600-1489616016_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-08406200-1489616035_thumb.jpg

• Like 19