Peterborough North

great northern

Well, that post has generated a lot of agreement, which is very nice indeed, and allows me to continue on my present path without reservations, though it has to be said that I would have done that anyway, as this is by far the most enjoyable and fulfilling layout I have ever had. The photographic side has been an unexpected bonus too, so I'm very fortunate really.

Another view of Golden Eagle tonight, though somewhat obscured by redundant columns.

attachicon.gif23 2.JPG

the main train will stop here, though the relief passed straight through. All the action is on the Up side at present, so after the Newcastle has left, we can note a Colwick- KX Goods Class F.

attachicon.gif1202.JPG

61202 was a Lincoln engine, and one that I saw many times during my early spotting days, so it had to feature on the roster. Unfortunately it now hops rather than runs, and the chassis's days are numbered, so it will soon be retired from service.

I couldn't agree with you more, Gilbert.  Modelling takes many forms, whether it be creating a whole scene in which to run RTR stock, improving RTR stock, or, indeed, making the whole lot oneself.  There are not many of us who have the time and/or skill to do the latter, and I don't think that in any way excludes us from being modellers, as we all have some personal input into our layouts, which in turn makes them unique - yours being a supreme example of this.  Your influence has turned me into much more of a purist than I ever intended to be, although I have not managed to expunge all illicit, but neighbouring, incursions under Rule 1.

Incidentally, you don't need to retire 61202 entirely, as the new Bachmann B1 chassis fits perfectly under the old bodies, which will save you considerable time in re-numbering and so on - quite what one does with the new body and tender, I am not sure - sell them to someone who wants to build a Comet chassis, perhaps?

Anthony

• RMweb Premium

Features on coaching rakes happen now and again, but on goods trains, hardly ever. Here is that Colwick Class F in detail, a nicely mixed set.

attachicon.gifgoods 1.JPG

attachicon.gifgoods 2.JPG

attachicon.gifgoods 3.JPG

attachicon.gifgoods 4.JPG

attachicon.gifgoods 5.JPG

attachicon.gifgoods 6.JPG

I very soon decided that I didn't fancy shopping the same background six times, but made an exception for the last one, as the Claud could be seen, unobscured.

Every opportunity taken of course to get coal down to London, including some loco coal for Top Shed this time. Then something happened on the Down, for a change, as we see Enterprise with the 1230 KX- Newcastle. It will come off at Grantham, and no doubt another round trip to London will occur before the day's work is done.

attachicon.gif111 1.JPG

Love the goods train Gilbert, can we have more?

Would also love a look at the Northumbrian if you can manage it - particularly the triplet!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Jolly smart and dignified,too. A cut above the rest.

Thank you, Gilbert.  We try very hard to put on a good show at Grumble, that was the Victorian Day, as well as the anniversary - the photographer said we all had to look miserable, as in the best Victorian photos!  We always wear uniform when Guard or Stationmaster, engine crews in the summer too, but in winter (Santa trains) it's less easy so drivers tend to be wrapped in dirty hi viz!  Oh, there's one now....scruffy lad.

post-10195-0-69775100-1510688676_thumb.jpg

Back on topic, nice to see the freight stock get a look in!

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Love the goods train Gilbert, can we have more?

Would also love a look at the Northumbrian if you can manage it - particularly the triplet!

Andy

About 20 moves in the sequence before the Northumbrian, so it will be a while yet, I'm afraid. It is one of the trains that I can't run out of turn without messing things up rather a lot.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, Gilbert.  We try very hard to put on a good show at Grumble, that was the Victorian Day, as well as the anniversary - the photographer said we all had to look miserable, as in the best Victorian photos!  We always wear uniform when Guard or Stationmaster, engine crews in the summer too, but in winter (Santa trains) it's less easy so drivers tend to be wrapped in dirty hi viz!  Oh, there's one now....scruffy lad.

attachicon.gifP1060798-3.jpg

Back on topic, nice to see the freight stock get a look in!

Is that loco DCC Sound?

Ar$£

• RMweb Premium

About 20 moves in the sequence before the Northumbrian, so it will be a while yet, I'm afraid. It is one of the trains that I can't run out of turn without messing things up rather a lot.

I'm confused. You said that 60111 was on the 1230 KX-Newcastle. I thought that was the Northumbrian?

Na lyubuyu russkuyu sekretnuyu sluzhbu chitayut eto ... otryvayutsya. Right that's them sorted.

Now then, PN and the thinking that has gone into its' operation has been inspirational to me. Many ideas I have been fortunate enough to have been able to share with G have really helped me in considering how to develop my layout. OK, other layouts are also there to admire and other people have been very generous with their time and expertise, but that is just part of the rich treasure that RMW can give. 

Long may this continue and all I need now is a little support in resisting replacing quite a lot of track with the new Pecoboo products. Ideas for small shunting layouts could be useful..... :nono:  :scared:  :mail:

Phil

Оторваться??? Мы, российская спецслужба, тоже наслаждаемся нашим моделированием! Нам нравится следовать Питерборо Север. Мы каждый день смотрим на скрытые сообщения от наших агентов.

• RMweb Premium

I'm confused. You said that 60111 was on the 1230 KX-Newcastle. I thought that was the Northumbrian?

Confession time. When I first tried to make sure that everything could run both Up and Down, I tried to get two trains into the longer fiddle yard roads which had the advantage that they ran Down in succession, but then Up in the opposite order. There weren't enough of them, so I cheated by running the Heart of Midlothian in the Down direction before the Northumbrian, which would then come back first, as I wanted.

I've been too idle, yet again, to do anything about it, even though I have more room in the fiddle yard now. Thanks for getting me to confront this - it took me all of two minutes to find the solution, which is Queen of Scots and Northumbrian in road 17, and Heart of Midlothian now in road 11 on its own. Now I just need to alter the sequence on the lap top. Please award yourself a gold star. The 1230 will now be what it should be.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Оторваться??? Мы, российская спецслужба, тоже наслаждаемся нашим моделированием! Нам нравится следовать Питерборо Север. Мы каждый день смотрим на скрытые сообщения от наших агентов.

Θα πρέπει να παρακολουθώ αυτό που λέω στο μέλλον τότε.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If the modelling wasn't enough, the appearance of an S15 a page or so back, has convinced me to 'follow'. Now, some 659 odd pages of catching up to do..  :sungum:

A warm welcome, and good luck with the catching up. You will find though that Southern locos are very infrequent visitors, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This video just popped up in my YouTube feed. While it’s a little later than your era, my goodness does it show how much you got it right. I suppose the only thing that I noticed different was the amount of stock just lying about, but perhaps those were just in the goods sidings which you’ve had to omit.

Is it bad that I recognize the Baker Perkins building in first glance now? Have I got PN fixation do you think?

https://youtu.be/cfWfh8oGN1o

Now, to find you another half dozen V2s and an N2 (presume that was a post 1960 ring in).

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Confession time. When I first tried to make sure that everything could run both Up and Down, I tried to get two trains into the longer fiddle yard roads which had the advantage that they ran Down in succession, but then Up in the opposite order. There weren't enough of them, so I cheated by running the Heart of Midlothian in the Down direction before the Northumbrian, which would then come back first, as I wanted.

I've been too idle, yet again, to do anything about it, even though I have more room in the fiddle yard now. Thanks for getting me to confront this - it took me all of two minutes to find the solution, which is Queen of Scots and Northumbrian in road 17, and Heart of Midlothian now in road 11 on its own. Now I just need to alter the sequence on the lap top. Please award yourself a gold star. The 1230 will now be what it should be.

That's great. I just hope it doesn't lead to some insoluble problem 50 moves later - wouldn't want my gold star rescinded!

Θα πρέπει να παρακολουθώ αυτό που λέω στο μέλλον τότε.

Phil

Όχι - είναι εντάξει. Εμείς οι Ρώσοι δεν διαβάζουμε ελληνικά. Θα ήθελα να ευχαριστήσω τον Gilbert για τα πολυάριθμα χρόνια απόσπασης και φωτογραφιών του. Λατρεύω τις ασπρόμαυρες εικόνες - τόσο ατμοσφαιρικές.

Dan

PS end of my hijacking PN - sorry Gilbert. But I will still be watching every day Phil.

This video just popped up in my YouTube feed. While it’s a little later than your era, my goodness does it show how much you got it right. I suppose the only thing that I noticed different was the amount of stock just lying about, but perhaps those were just in the goods sidings which you’ve had to omit.

Is it bad that I recognize the Baker Perkins building in first glance now? Have I got PN fixation do you think?

Now, to find you another half dozen V2s and an N2 (presume that was a post 1960 ring in).

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for the You Tube link,I like the V2 with just a single LMS parcels van, I wonder what movement that was? Also the diference in Maroon on the coaches within some trains - would look so wrong on a model.......

Tony

Edited by Rail-Online

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the You Tube link,I like the V2 with just a single LMS parcels van, I wonder what movement that was? Also the diference in Maroon on the coaches within some trains - would look so wrong on a model.......

Tony

The V2 seems to be carrying an "Ordinary Passenger Train" headcode, so perhaps it was in the process of attaching (or detaching) the van to / from a passenger train when it was filmed?  Although bearing in mind the location I'm not sure how that would work ...

• RMweb Premium

Cheers

Tony

There's going to be some gold dust in there when I have time to analyse it more closely Tony. 1961 at the earliest, I'd say, possibly even 1962, but still very useful indeed. Is there a way of lightening it though, as it comes over very dark at the moment?  N2s became station pilots from 1960, when they were redundant down South, but surely weren't the right engines for that kind of duty. You're dead right about the V2s though.

It's nice to see a goods held on the Down slow while Mallard is at Platform 6, and there are lots of other little things like that which do. fortunately look very similar on the model. As I say, I'll be running through this rather a lot later. You do have Baker Perkinsitis, but it isn't life threatening.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That's great. I just hope it doesn't lead to some insoluble problem 50 moves later - wouldn't want my gold star rescinded!

No problem there, all I have to do is one quick shuffle of stock, and its all set up as it needs to be. You've got me wondering how many other things there are that I could solve now.

• RMweb Premium

The V2 seems to be carrying an "Ordinary Passenger Train" headcode, so perhaps it was in the process of attaching (or detaching) the van to / from a passenger train when it was filmed?  Although bearing in mind the location I'm not sure how that would work ...

I'll have a closer look later Steve, Vans did get attached, and detached from stopping trains, so it is possible. I think I've already spotted some very dodgy lamps on more than one loco, so I already feel better about some of mine now.