Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting upmore inspiration.

99% of layouts on here are better than I can currently achieve, so therfore get my respect.

Very very few really blow my socks off. This one does already.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple more. First is another one looking South, but looking down from on high as preferred by many magazine editors.

post-98-0-19442100-1296232938_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-59032300-1296232988_thumb.jpg

There was always a stand by engine at Peterborough to cover for failures. In the '50's it was a V2, as the turntable at the station wasn't big enough for a Pacific. So, here's a V2 standing by outside the shed.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

A couple more. First is another one looking South, but looking down from on high as preferred by many magazine editors.

post-98-0-19442100-1296232938_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-59032300-1296232988_thumb.jpg

There was always a stand by engine at Peterborough to cover for failures. In the '50's it was a V2, as the turntable at the station wasn't big enough for a Pacific. So, here's a V2 standing by outside the shed.

Neither David actually. The PDK kit isn't currently available, and I gather won't be any time soon. Bachmann's offering really isn't up to 21st century standards, so this one was scratch built for me by Mike Edge, and painted by Ian Rathbone. Of course it shows up my Bachmann ones, but what can you do? I really should have loads of them, as New England had 30+ during my period. I live in hope that Bachmann will announce a retooled version.

Neither David actually. The PDK kit isn't currently available, and I gather won't be any time soon. Bachmann's offering really isn't up to 21st century standards, so this one was scratch built for me by Mike Edge, and painted by Ian Rathbone. Of course it shows up my Bachmann ones, but what can you do? I really should have loads of them, as New England had 30+ during my period. I live in hope that Bachmann will announce a retooled version.

Mike Edge has done a terrific job there - the frames and the cartazzi look absolutely spot on I feel. Ian Rathbone's paintwork looks printed on, it's so fine!

• Like 1

Guest LNER Tom

Great to see updates in this thread! Everything looks to be coming on nicely, and that V2 is indeed exquisite.

Keep the updates coming Gilbert, the more I see, the more I'm inspired!

Tom (previously TomTank)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The V2 looks lovely Gilbert. I take it that this particular loco had been 'shopped' during the summer of 1958 and had just been released back into traffic. New England engines never stayed clean for long!

I didn't say it was a New England engine though. In fact it was shedded at Kings Cross. it's by far the nicest V2 I have, so that's why it featured. Just don't ask why a KX engine is being used by New England when they had over 30 of their own to choose from.

• RMweb Premium

Great to see updates in this thread! Everything looks to be coming on nicely, and that V2 is indeed exquisite.

Keep the updates coming Gilbert, the more I see, the more I'm inspired!

Tom (previously TomTank)

Thanks Tom. Yes, it is all going pretty well so far. We have the occasional setback, but on a layout this size and complexity inevitably there's going to be the odd wiring mistake or similar that needs sorting out. I'd like more V2's to that standard, but it isn't going to happen at that price. It will remain a "one off" indulgence. Did you get my PM about the book by the way?

Sorry to come in late to this, but I think the deployment of N5s to Peterborough may have had something to do with the Stamford branch. The N5s were certainly used on this, and a diesel shunter wouldn't have been suitable. At a guess the clutch of N5s was sufficient to provide for this branch, for the Peterborough pilots, and whatever other bits of jobs the C12s formerly carried out.

The project is already impressive and should be superb when complete - congratulations!

• Like 1

I didn't say it was a New England engine though. In fact it was shedded at Kings Cross. it's by far the nicest V2 I have, so that's why it featured. Just don't ask why a KX engine is being used by New England when they had over 30 of their own to choose from.

Perhaps, if someone produces a decent R-T-R V2, you could acquire one and suitably dirty it up so that it looks more like a Peterborough pilot. It would be a shame not to use the scratch built on a more suitable working, a relief express or a fitted goods for instance.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to come in late to this, but I think the deployment of N5s to Peterborough may have had something to do with the Stamford branch. The N5s were certainly used on this, and a diesel shunter wouldn't have been suitable. At a guess the clutch of N5s was sufficient to provide for this branch, for the Peterborough pilots, and whatever other bits of jobs the C12s formerly carried out.

The project is already impressive and should be superb when complete - congratulations!

Thanks very much for that, and I'm sure you are absolutely correct. Diesel shunters would not have been appropriate at least until the Stamford branch closed. Another little mystery solved. :D

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps, if someone produces a decent R-T-R V2, you could acquire one and suitably dirty it up so that it looks more like a Peterborough pilot. It would be a shame not to use the scratch built on a more suitable working, a relief express or a fitted goods for instance.

This one will be rostered to a Class C from Kings Cross Goods. One of my suitably filthy down at heel Bachmann New England ones will be rostered as stand by in due course, until something better comes along....

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Richard, and I'm pretty certain you are right. I've lent out my copy of the relevant book, but from memory this was positioned just South of Westwood Bridge, and was a fog repeater for the down side. I can't remember whether it was for the main line or for one of the gantries at the entrance to the yards, but it does look exactly like the one in my photo. It's remarkable that these things still exist -pretty heartening too, for me at least.

I'm hoping to get some signals in position soon, and I'll put some photos up as soon as I do. Then I just have to decide how I'm going to operate them.....

Gilbert

Guest LNER Tom

Thanks Tom. Yes, it is all going pretty well so far. We have the occasional setback, but on a layout this size and complexity inevitably there's going to be the odd wiring mistake or similar that needs sorting out. I'd like more V2's to that standard, but it isn't going to happen at that price. It will remain a "one off" indulgence. Did you get my PM about the book by the way?

Thought it best replying to thread on this matter. Hadn't received any PM replies from you... Thought I'd said something wrong, as it's happened I picked an RCTS 2a book up, but theres a couple more I'm after which iv posted in the wanted thread.

Odd that I didn't get your PM replies :( feel free to try again mind ;)

Keep up the great work!

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Any more boards due Gilbert?

By the way do you have a W1 in your collection?

Hi David,

I'm now eagerly waiting for the last three. Norman has some problems at the moment, so not sure when they will arrive, but I'm hoping for early March at the latest. The W1? How we hated that thing at the age of 12 and 13. The "unnamed streak" it was called, but we had a far less kind name for it. See streak approaching, dream of Golden Plover or Kingfisher (we were very young remember) and what did you get - 60700 yet again :angry: At the moment at least I can do without it. Same applies to Mr Thompson's "improved" Great Northern, which was in any event in pieces in the Crimpsall yet again at the time when my layout is set.

Gilbert

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thought it best replying to thread on this matter. Hadn't received any PM replies from you... Thought I'd said something wrong, as it's happened I picked an RCTS 2a book up, but theres a couple more I'm after which iv posted in the wanted thread.

Odd that I didn't get your PM replies :( feel free to try again mind ;)

Keep up the great work!

Tom

No Tom, you certainly haven't said anything wrong. I tried to send you a PM about RCTS 2A, but who knows where it went? I'm glad you got a copy, and I hope you get as much pleasure and knowledge from it as I have over the last 30+ years. I can't help you with the others on your list I'm afraid.

Gilbert

W1 bashing :blink: cant believe that !! , never ever read that before !!! and my poor old A1/1 again !! a couple of my personal favourite models mine are both in LNER livery !!! :D

Layout coming on well wish i had something half the size

cheers

Mick