Peterborough North

great northern

One of 36E  Retford  Thrumpton's finest as well, Gilbert.

It was B cold yesterday, I only ventured out to assist my wife's friend to close her car door  :angel: .

Funny they have never heard of WD40 or giving it a Good Shove.  :scratchhead:  

You might break it  :nono:  :nono:

The Angel of DOOM.  

• RMweb Premium

One of 36E  Retford  Thrumpton's finest as well, Gilbert.

It was B cold yesterday, I only ventured out to assist my wife's friend to close her car door  :angel: .

Funny they have never heard of WD40 or giving it a Good Shove.  :scratchhead:  

You might break it  :nono:  :nono:

The Angel of DOOM.  

Yes, I remember it well Derek, partly because of the coincidence that 36E also had 63637. Both of them seemed to shuffle across the flat crossing just about every time I visited Retford, so mine had to be one or the other.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Referring back to yesterday Gilbert showed us a view of Crescent Bridge:

post-98-0-34299000-1544819706.jpg

This drew a comment about the lack of camber. Whilst I don't have any pictures of Crescent Bridge from a similar viewpoint (yet) Google Streetview gives us this:

Crescent Bridge

I think that this shows that there is actually very little camber, if any, on the bridge itself.

As soon as I can produce a better shot I'll see if I can post it. (why, oh why, do I keep getting thumbnails instead of decent size pictures?)
Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Definitely not, Derek, but occasionally the conditions are so bad that even the best clothing can't keep it out. Yesterday I couldn't hear because the wind was clattering in my hearing aids, couldn't see because my eyes kept watering, and couldn't feel my hands because they were frozen. That is "Why am I doing this?" time.

I get days like that when I'm out doing my bit with motor cars on rallies albeit I'm not, thankfully, at the hearing aid stage yet.

• RMweb Premium

I get days like that when I'm out doing my bit with motor cars on rallies albeit I'm not, thankfully, at the hearing aid stage yet.

I don't do that so much now but I remember an occasion, frozen stiff and soaked to the skin, when I had to hold the pen in my fist because my fingers were so numb I couldn't hold it! Happy days though!

This drew a comment about the lack of camber. Whilst I don't have any pictures of Crescent Bridge from a similar viewpoint (yet) Google Streetview gives us this:

I think that this shows that there is actually very little camber, if any, on the bridge itself.

As soon as I can produce a better shot I'll see if I can post it. (why, oh why, do I keep getting thumbnails instead of decent size pictures?)

I will put my hands up to being the toe-rag who made the comment about camber. I don't think I can agree with you though - the angle that the parked red car is sitting suggests a significant camber. I have camber on the roads that cross Dock Green yard and although they don't really show that much they don't shout "FLAT - nothing like a road!" at me every time I see them.

Of course it could be argued that such a detail is so tiny a part of GN's model that he really doesn't care - after all it is his layout!

Chaz

Hi,

Yes, that was the conclusion I came to and as

Leo the main rd were I live, you can’t see the camber, if at all there is any.

The only downside with the model of the bridge is the cross trussing of which I will need to add at a future date.

I was unable to source the correct size pattern ready done but now have a friend who can manufacture the pattern to my drawing, so it is in hand.

To be honest, In my opinion, cambers are too often modelled way over scale, in 4mm they would be almost unnoticeable.

e="chaz" post="3400969" timestamp="1544998202"]I will put my hands up to being the toe-rag who made the comment about camber. I don't think I can agree with you though - the angle that the parked red car is sitting suggests a significant camber. I have camber on the roads that cross Dock Green yard and although they don't really show that much they don't shout "FLAT - nothing like a road!" at me every time I see them.

Of course it could be argued that such a detail is so tiny a part of GN's model that he really doesn't care - after all it is his layout!

Chaz

No worries mate

Just to mention that I drive over the bridge most days and there's a distinct camber and arch to the roadway. In 4mm scale though it would be minimal and in my very humble opinion modellers tend to overstate road camber so that it becomes noticable when really in the smaller scales it shouldn't be.

• Like 1

I owe a great deal to Andy, not least the idea of using cassettes in the first place. He advised me to make them no longer than 4ft, which I've done. The problem is that the big trains are very rarely run, while the shorter ones are, so I'm thinking that putting together three cassettes about once very two months will be easier than loading one cassette much more regularly. Planning is still at an early stage though, and will also involve how to store or load all the goods formations Andy worked out for me.

There are two people who are sadly missed, so far as I'm concerned. Andy is one, and Dave Shakespeare the other.

I was fortunate enough to get to know Andy in about the last 5 or 6 years of his life and have great memories of long summer afternoons operating the Ruschbahn with the likes of John, Roy Crofton-Mann and others. Very happy days when we'd sit out on Andy's patio in the evening eating a fish and chip supper, drinking a beer or two and making the world right.

• RMweb Premium

I will put my hands up to being the toe-rag who made the comment about camber. I don't think I can agree with you though - the angle that the parked red car is sitting suggests a significant camber. I have camber on the roads that cross Dock Green yard and although they don't really show that much they don't shout "FLAT - nothing like a road!" at me every time I see them.

Chaz

I think I want to reserve judgment on that as GSV does seem to distort things somewhat. Unfortunately I cannot get an identical viewpoint without being run over ...

(edited for speeling)

Edited by Richard E

• RMweb Premium

We are still under and around the bridge tonight, as we follow the progress of 60012.

post-98-0-27726600-1545084900_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-52001000-1545084938_thumb.jpg

More thought on the fiddle yard front today, but little real progress. I feel that there is a major breakthrough to be found, but it remains tantalisingly out of reach.

• Like 19

I think I want to reserve judgment on that as GSV does seem to distort things somewhat. Unfortunately I cannot get an identical viewpoint without being run over ...

(edited for speeling)

Re the camber on Crescent Bridge, as the road is straight at this point, it should be standard 2.5% camber, which over a 12 feet wide lane of traffic would be a shade over 3.5 inches, or, at 4mm to the foot, slightly over 1mm. Would you really be able to see that at that scale?

Lloyd

(Retired highway engineer)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Would you really be able to see that at that scale?

You won't see it in the road.

You would see it in the angle the bus sits at.

I'm sure it could be convincingly faked much more locally to the bus than rebuilding the entire road surface...

• RMweb Premium

You won't see it in the road.

You would see it in the angle the bus sits at.

I'm sure it could be convincingly faked much more locally to the bus than rebuilding the entire road surface...

Or........  I could just remove the bus, it being a cliche anyway.  Where is the acute accent when it is needed?

• Like 1

Hi Gilbert. I'm not a regular reader of your thread but I do dip into it now and again. Over on St Enodoc's thread there is currently talk of cassettes and loco lifts and other moveable storage devices and your solution got a mention. I've had a quick skim through several parts of this very long thread but no luck finding the references or any pics yet - could you, or any of the regulars here possibly direct me to the approxmate pages the discussion was on? I'd be extremely grateful for any pointers.

Many thanks.

I could just remove the bus, it being a cliche anyway.  Where is the acute accent when it is needed?

Use your favourite search engine (that's a Web engine, not a pacific) to look for cliche (no accent), and probably the first result will contain cliché (with accent).

• RMweb Premium

Or........  I could just remove the bus, it being a cliche anyway.  Where is the acute accent when it is needed?

Create a roadworks diorama and get rid of all the vehicles other than those in service for the works. Could involve a Road Roller and I've not seen one of those on a MR bridge.

T. R. Macadam

• Like 1