Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

That first picture I wouldn't bother, but would retain the dull blue-grey background and using a clone brush "spread" it around to all areas so the whole BG becomes a blueish overcast.

The second one is more fiddley but a similar result could be obtained by clone-painting from a photo of an overcast sky.

I imagine the process you use in PS is more automatic and fast, my hand-painting methods can require up to an hour per photo so may not be an option for everyone.

I only know the basics of a basic programme Martin, and you are spot on, I don't want to spend an hour on a single photo, so when I look at things like this, I don't bother trying. I bin quite a lot actually. I suppose I should use flash when it is as dark as it always is at present, but I've never got on with it.

• RMweb Premium

I flirted with Perth, so to speak, but its a bit too big for the space I have available!

I’m wondering about a smaller 2/3 platform with goods yard - any suggestions?

That's the problem Peter, the really interesting places are far too big in most cases. I'm very lucky that the basics of PN are really quite compressed. Have you tried making a list as I did before I started on this? I started with "must haves", and if a location didn't allow for them that was that. I always felt that your previous layout was over ambitious for one man to either build or operate, so I'm relieved that you've lowered your sights a bit.

I reckon a fairly compact junction station is a good idea, as quite a lot of trains should stop there, and branch trains give a bit more interest. I don't know anywhere near enough about that part of Scotland to be able to suggest something that might be suitable though.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed I was, but remembering the A4 swan song and discovering that there were A3, A2 and A1 classes visiting Ferryhill in th e mid ‘60s makes me rethink

I could also squeeze in my extensive diesel collection!

An Aberdonian mate in New Zealand has just started a retirement project to build a 00 model of Ferryhilll shed in the 1960s. If you do decide to go that way I could put you in touch.

I only know the basics of a basic programme Martin, and you are spot on, I don't want to spend an hour on a single photo, so when I look at things like this, I don't bother trying. I bin quite a lot actually. I suppose I should use flash when it is as dark as it always is at present, but I've never got on with it.

Worth keeping Gilbert?

post-34294-0-45349200-1546725329_thumb.jpg

I haven't had a go with the other one as the signals make it pretty tricky.

• Like 9

That's the problem Peter, the really interesting places are far too big in most cases. I'm very lucky that the basics of PN are really quite compressed. Have you tried making a list as I did before I started on this? I started with "must haves", and if a location didn't allow for them that was that. I always felt that your previous layout was over ambitious for one man to either build or operate, so I'm relieved that you've lowered your sights a bit.

I reckon a fairly compact junction station is a good idea, as quite a lot of trains should stop there, and branch trains give a bit more interest. I don't know anywhere near enough about that part of Scotland to be able to suggest something that might be suitable though.

Thanks Gilbert

You are more than welcome to say “I told you so.” It would be completely appropriate!

It was only when I got to the point of sitting looking at the potential wiring nightmare that was going to be Waverley east after doing the main lines, fiddle yard, Loco shed, carriage sidings, three double slips and Riccarton station, that I realised just how big an undertaking I had set out to achieve.

That said, he did all work, which is I suppose something to be pleased with.

The list is definitely taking shape, I know that I want to be able to do a little bit of shunting in a station, but   not a huge amount, and I do enjoy sitting back to watch the trains roll by, as well as doing a bit of fiddling around in the engine shed, and fiddle yard

The other challenge, which will probably be even bigger is to work out what pieces out of the 500+ items of stock that I possess I will actually want to use.

Because it doesn’t help that I’ve just acquired a Tango, and a B12!

I’ll stop hijacking the thread, and thank you for your indulgence and advice, both of which are much appreciated.

Now if only I could remember how to rename my existing thread, I can migrate the discussion over there!

ATB

Peter

An Aberdonian mate in New Zealand has just started a retirement project to build a 00 model of Ferryhilll shed in the 1960s. If you do decide to go that way I could put you in touch.

Yes Please!

• RMweb Premium

Worth keeping Gilbert?

attachicon.gifpost-98-0-01511400-1546680210.jpg

I haven't had a go with the other one as the signals make it pretty tricky.

That's a big improvement Martin, thank you. As you say, those lattice posts do make things very tricky, near impossible, in fact. I'll be trying to get even more light up that end tomorrow, so we shall see what transpires.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Gilbert

You are more than welcome to say “I told you so.” It would be completely appropriate!

It was only when I got to the point of sitting looking at the potential wiring nightmare that was going to be Waverley east after doing the main lines, fiddle yard, Loco shed, carriage sidings, three double slips and Riccarton station, that I realised just how big an undertaking I had set out to achieve.

That said, he did all work, which is I suppose something to be pleased with.

The list is definitely taking shape, I know that I want to be able to do a little bit of shunting in a station, but   not a huge amount, and I do enjoy sitting back to watch the trains roll by, as well as doing a bit of fiddling around in the engine shed, and fiddle yard

The other challenge, which will probably be even bigger is to work out what pieces out of the 500+ items of stock that I possess I will actually want to use.

Because it doesn’t help that I’ve just acquired a Tango, and a B12!

I’ll stop hijacking the thread, and thank you for your indulgence and advice, both of which are much appreciated.

Now if only I could remember how to rename my existing thread, I can migrate the discussion over there!

ATB

Peter

Yes Please!

I don't mind in the least Peter. It is railway related, and it will be interesting to see how things go. A B12 eh? Well, you could have one up that way, that's the good news, but it would have to be early 50s at the latest, and the Hornby model, lovely though it is, isn't right. You'd need the belpaire firebox variant, and I think that would be fairly difficult to achieve. There are some very clever people out there though.

• RMweb Premium

Velocity is off towards home, and we can watch her go.

post-98-0-67615700-1546727309_thumb.jpg

The extra light behind the bridge has definitely helped.

The D16 is still waiting for the off, so we can get this rear three quarter view from the Midland sidings.

post-98-0-27753800-1546727428_thumb.jpg

What a shame it is that none were preserved. New build, anyone?

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Just been enjoying (over several days), a catch up of my favourite thread.  I do like your updated cassette ideas and all the flexibility it gives you to represent the formations more closely.  While I was on our enforced "holiday" over Christmas with the inlaws I did some more research for my period and now have a sequence of about 50 moves from 5 am to around 2pm.  One thing that keeps coming up is the number of ordinary passenger services that ran on the Leeds extension, many of which were replaced by DMUs very early on, but at least in 1951-2 those smelly things weren't making inroads.  I'm curious as to why PN didn't have so many, is that because the main line services were frequent enough that local services weren't needed as much?  On the Leeds extension it seems the ratio is about 4 locals to one express.  Good for me as more short trains, plus I suppose there were many different destinations in that area of the West Riding (and even those to the same destination went different ways).  At least the research passed the time while suffering in-law dramas.  Back to work tomorrow to recover!

Thanks again for all your recent posts Gilbert, it keeps me inspired and motivated.

Cheers
Tony

• RMweb Premium

Just been enjoying (over several days), a catch up of my favourite thread.  I do like your updated cassette ideas and all the flexibility it gives you to represent the formations more closely.  While I was on our enforced "holiday" over Christmas with the inlaws I did some more research for my period and now have a sequence of about 50 moves from 5 am to around 2pm.  One thing that keeps coming up is the number of ordinary passenger services that ran on the Leeds extension, many of which were replaced by DMUs very early on, but at least in 1951-2 those smelly things weren't making inroads.  I'm curious as to why PN didn't have so many, is that because the main line services were frequent enough that local services weren't needed as much?  On the Leeds extension it seems the ratio is about 4 locals to one express.  Good for me as more short trains, plus I suppose there were many different destinations in that area of the West Riding (and even those to the same destination went different ways).  At least the research passed the time while suffering in-law dramas.  Back to work tomorrow to recover!

Thanks again for all your recent posts Gilbert, it keeps me inspired and motivated.

Cheers

Tony

The West Riding local services were chosen for the first roll out of DMUs, were they not?  From what I've seen and read though, the Leeds - Doncaster locals kept steam haulage for a lot longer. There are lots of photos of Pacifics on four coach trains, either running in turns, or in later years just to find them something to do.

As I recall, DMUs were supposed to be the miracle cure that would turn loss making rural lines round, and so they went to areas like Lincoln, where we got them on the locals to Boston and Grantham very early on.  The E.Lincs was also targetted, but only three services each way were DMU in 1958. Then of course there were the Cravens units which were to save the M&GN, but it was closed before they arrived, so they went to plague London commuters instead.

As I've said before, I chose 1958 very carefully, as it gives me the last gasp of things I really like, before the diesels replaced them. Just two years later they were all gone.

• Like 1