Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Golden Eagle at rest this morning.

attachicon.gif12 eagle 2.JPG

It was allegedly a particularly weak engine till it got the double chimney, but I love the bird names, and can't justify most as the Scots snaffled nearly all the best ones, so 23 it had to be.

For those who like this sort of thing, here's what lives in the Down side of the fiddle yard now.

attachicon.gif13 down FY.JPG

Road 13 remains empty, not because of superstition, but because I can't think of anything to put in there!

Gilbert

We may have had one more bird in B.R. days as in the late 40s Haymarket lost Golden Eagle to Gateshead in a swap for William Whitelaw!

Eric

PS could you check your pm

• RMweb Premium

Now now Clive, :nono: You've seen for yourself how pampered and cossetted DMUs are at PN. Why, they even have their own dedicated spurs in an exclusive and most sought after corner of the fiddle yard. Anyway, one unit wouldn't even start to fill up that road. However, there is an interesting entry in Railway Observer September 1958 which goes like this. " On Friday 1st August there was no stock available for the 3.59 relief KX- Cleethorpes, for which a number of two car diesel units were sent empty from Lincoln to constitute the first public multiple unit diesel train out of KX. The next day five two car diesel units formed the 6.50 Grimsby-KX and the 3.52 return."  How about this.... You build it, and I'll store it in Road 13. :jester: :jester:

Hi Gilbert

According to David Percival in Kings Cross Lineside 1958 to 1984 it was formed of four 2 car Cravens units. A photo of the train passing Hitchin is included in the book. The units are same variation as the Bachmann model without speed whiskers. There were front end differences and some had more or less windows in the brake van, thankfully bachamnn made the right version for the Lincoln and Cambridge batch.  Hugh Longworth in BR First Generation DMUs gives  Driver motor brake seconds E 51254 to 51263 and Driver Trailer Composites E56412 to E56421  as being new to Lincoln. These were delivered between May and July. There were some more of this batch new to Lincoln but they were delivered later in the year. So it would have been four of these ten units, I doubt anyone visiting Peterborough North will know the numbers of the coaches involved on the day.  There you go fuddle yard road 13 has an occupant. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

According to David Percival in Kings Cross Lineside 1958 to 1984 it was formed of four 2 car Cravens units. A photo of the train passing Hitchin is included in the book. The units are same variation as the Bachmann model without speed whiskers. There were front end differences and some had more or less windows in the brake van, thankfully bachamnn made the right version for the Lincoln and Cambridge batch.  Hugh Longworth in BR First Generation DMUs gives  Driver motor brake seconds E 51254 to 51263 and Driver Trailer Composites E56412 to E56421  as being new to Lincoln. These were delivered between May and July. There were some more of this batch new to Lincoln but they were delivered later in the year. So it would have been four of these ten units, I doubt anyone visiting Peterborough North will know the numbers of the coaches involved on the day.  There you go fuddle yard road 13 has an occupant. 

I should have known you would have the details Clive. I don't have that book, so I always pictured in my mind several Derby heavyweights. Do you know if this ever occurred again? It seems unlikely. I'm afraid three more Bachmann 105s won't be on my shopping list though.

• RMweb Premium

I should have known you would have the details Clive. I don't have that book, so I always pictured in my mind several Derby heavyweights. Do you know if this ever occurred again? It seems unlikely. I'm afraid three more Bachmann 105s won't be on my shopping list though.

Go on you know you want to.....

• RMweb Premium

Now there’s a contraception in terms!

A prize for you, Ian, as that is the first time that word has ever appeared on this thread. I know what you meant, and it's not what others may be thinking. Dictionary definitions though only seem to recognise the more widely known meaning.

• RMweb Premium

The 1200pm (FO) to Newcastle is next in the procession of trains. Another Grantham A3, Victor Wild, has the job as far as its home town.

post-98-0-17048400-1547762902_thumb.jpg

There would have been a lurch around the dogs leg curve, but not as severe as I've had to make it.

post-98-0-52917800-1547763005_thumb.jpg

Back to those black and white days. I did take photos of the preceding goods formation, six of them in fact, but do you really want to see them?

• Like 18

Lloyd,

Tony Wright on his layout Little Bytham is in the process of doing exactly that.

Regards,Derek.

I am Derek,

It takes about an hour to do a foot of the stuff at the moment (I'm up to six parallel runs). This includes soldering in the cranks and compensators. The time increases with each run, and there'll be around 17 by the time I reach the 'box from the north. About 14 then head off south.

Is it worth doing? Of course; in fact I now think it's essential. The moment it's made/installed, I think 'Yes, that completes the scene'. 

I did think it would be easy with the introduction of Wills plastic rodding, but it's far too big. I make mine up from MSE components, using a simple jig. 

How many runs are needed on PN is anyone's guess, but they're all visible in prototype shots. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am Derek,

It takes about an hour to do a foot of the stuff at the moment (I'm up to six parallel runs). This includes soldering in the cranks and compensators. The time increases with each run, and there'll be around 17 by the time I reach the 'box from the north. About 14 then head off south.

Is it worth doing? Of course; in fact I now think it's essential. The moment it's made/installed, I think 'Yes, that completes the scene'. 

I did think it would be easy with the introduction of Wills plastic rodding, but it's far too big. I make mine up from MSE components, using a simple jig. 

How many runs are needed on PN is anyone's guess, but they're all visible in prototype shots.

I hear the sound of a gauntlet being thrown down...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am Derek,

My guess would be that there are an awful lot, Tony. I entirely agree that they complete the scene, and they look really good on LB, but no way could I do it, and I reckon I would be faced with a deafening silence if I asked someone else. Actually, I di buy some of the Wills stuff, but It doesn't look right.

OK, pictures of vans, opens, pipes and tubes appear below.

attachicon.gif3 goods 1.JPG

attachicon.gif4 goods 2.JPG

attachicon.gif5 goods 3.JPG

attachicon.gif6 goods 4.JPG

attachicon.gif7 goods 5.JPG

attachicon.gif8 goods end.JPG

I'm finding that having these on layout rather than in cassettes really does speed things up, and the concept of adding the specials at the back from spurs took very little time as well, so I'm marking this experiment down as a big plus.

I also followed TW's advice and took a number of shots of the 1200 Newcastle. I then couldn't decide which of the two from this angle was better, so here's the other one.

attachicon.gif11 105 3.JPG

With regard to picture of the A3, you've got the classic problem of contre jour (I don't know how to write accents), resulting in the top of the boiler being burnt-out and deep shadows this side.

I don't believe it's possible to link your camera with pulses of fill-in flash to compensate, because exposures needed are usually in excess of five seconds.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

With regard to picture of the A3, you've got the classic problem of contre jour (I don't know how to write accents), resulting in the top of the boiler being burnt-out and deep shadows this side.

I don't believe it's possible to link your camera with pulses of fill-in flash to compensate, because exposures needed are usually in excess of five seconds.

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes. it is almost always going to happen, but then it did in the afternoon in the real world. Would the lens hood you recommended help at all? I really do intend to get one, but on the rare occasions when I venture into Nottingham I always forget.

you've got the classic problem of contre jour (I don't know how to write accents)

contre jour doesn't have an accent, so you're OK.

But, if you do want to be grammatically correct when writing another language, the quickest way is to perform a web search for the phrase.  One of the first three results will probably contain the correctly accented form of the phrase.  For example, if I want to write raison detre correctly (missing apostrophe and accent), here is the first result after a short Web search: raison d'être.

Yes. it is almost always going to happen, but then it did in the afternoon in the real world. Would the lens hood you recommended help at all? I really do intend to get one, but on the rare occasions when I venture into Nottingham I always forget.

It would help in two ways, Gilbert.

It would probably reduce the flare on top surfaces (not guaranteed) and definitely prevent the odd halos of light you get in deep shadows from time to time, caused by internal reflections between the lenses when shooting contre jour. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

It would help in two ways, Gilbert.

It would probably reduce the flare on top surfaces (not guaranteed) and definitely prevent the odd halos of light you get in deep shadows from time to time, caused by internal reflections between the lenses when shooting contre jour. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony. I'll go to the good camera shop in the City next week, and see if they have got a suitable hood.

Edited by great northern

Another senior moment means that I processed the wrong version of this image, so I'll post it now and be done with.

attachicon.gifIMG_0507.JPG

Could be a nice shot for the future though.

Sorry to be 'picky' Gilbert, but the nearer lamp is facing the wrong way.

And, please, ask Tim to take off the higher wiggly pipe on the side of the loco's smokebox. This was always on the opposite side to the drive. Hornby decided to put it on both sides at the same time it would seem. 

post-18225-0-85051500-1547846999_thumb.jpg

It's well worth doing. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to be 'picky' Gilbert, but the nearer lamp is facing the wrong way.

And, please, ask Tim to take off the higher wiggly pipe on the side of the loco's smokebox. This was always on the opposite side to the drive. Hornby decided to put it on both sides at the same time it would seem. 

attachicon.gifLoco improve 07.jpg

It's well worth doing. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Lamps are rapidly becoming the bane of my existence Tony. I just can't see the little perishers well ebougn, and I swear they sometimes move on their way round from the fiddle yard. This one though was a clear case of looking and not seeing. I'll ask Tim to deal with the pipe when this one gets to the top of the list of locos he hasn't had a chance to work on yet. It's quite a long list though, so I'll try to remember to ask him to deal with it when he next visits.