Peterborough North

great northern

I had the great misfortune of being born in Croydon, south London, in 1959. Not a very auspicious start. The tragedy was that two years prior my family had moved south from Doncaster of all places due to my father's work. If only his job had required him to move ten or fifteen years later! How diferent my formative railway years would have been! So my earliest railway experiences were trips to Victoria from East Croydon and (sad as it may seem) the most fun my brother and I had was rushing down those wonderful (and to us little boys, endless) sloping ramps to the platforms to see if the train was a green one or a red one. These were the coaches of course, not the loco! I must assume the green coaches were the SR electric units, maybe 2BILs and 4SUBs but the red (in fact maroon) coaches must have been loco hauled though I cannot say by what! I guess there was a steam engine on the front unless it was an early BR electric loco. Maybe someone here with knowledge of mid-60s Southern Region practice on the Victoria-Brighton line can suggest what they were?

I therefore have no recollection of steam trains at all in my childhood except for trips to the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch and the Bluebell Railway and my earliest memory is being entranced by the smell of a steam engine - such a heady concoction that I have never forgotten it.

When I began my more serious phase of modelling in my teens the most commonly available RTR items seemed to be GWR so it was to that company that I turned to accumulate both models and knowledge and my early layouts all gravitated to South Wales in the 1950s. This was the late 70s when everyone and his dog seemed to be modelling GWR BLTs set in a perpetual rose-tinted 1930s summer and as has become my signature practice, I reacted to that and, bucking the trend, went for something far grittier and more industrial. This brought me into contact with the Welsh constituent companies of the GW with their hosts of lovely Victorian engines, colourful coaches and quirky wagons and from there I discovered the Forest of Dean and its small independent and joint railways which seemed to me the perfect mix of GWR, MR, LNWR and independent lines. The rest is history as I have, in the quest for the unusual and quirky, and to avoid the mainstream of what so many others model, gone back in time to pre-grouping and a setting where the heavy industries of coal mining, timber felling, stone quarrying, tinplate working, limestone burning, etc, all sit in close proximity to each other and a small railway system running in an otherwise bucolic rural setting.

In the late 70s I went with some friends to Pendon, clapped my eyes on the Madder Valley railway and knew from then on what I really wanted to model.

On the other hand I am collecting a late 50s/early 60s set of BR steam and diesel to run on my layout for when I want to ring the changes. Again, its the early and unusual BR types like 14s, 15s, 16s and 17s that appeal. I lose interest when BR diesel class numbers begin with anything higher than a "2"!

• Friendly/supportive 2

Interesting to see the N5 on the site of the present drop-off area (recently disparaged in another thread....) and what still remains of Platform 1

are there any plans to include the Railway Police Station in the model? What WAS the original function of that building - surely not a Police Station? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, great northern said:

612590187_1loadingbay.JPG.138d46a966742776289f7ca7e2cc3bd8.JPG

I've said this before and no doubt will say it again at some point, but for me the highlight of your layout is your dirt. It's by far the nicest dirt I've ever seen!

Edited by Martin S-C

8 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I've said this before and no doubt will say it again at some point, but for me the highlight of your layout, Kevin, is your dirt. It's by far the nicest dirt I've ever seen!

:hunter:Who is Kevin ?  :crazy:

Edited by CUTLER2579
Bold Type.
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Interesting to see the N5 on the site of the present drop-off area (recently disparaged in another thread....) and what still remains of Platform 1

are there any plans to include the Railway Police Station in the model? What WAS the original function of that building - surely not a Police Station? 

I believe it was the Stationmaster's house at some stage. The whole Station Road area is on the list for development, but Peter and I haven't worked out how we are going to do it yet.  The Police Station will definitely be there, but not in full relief.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, great northern said:

I believe it was the Stationmaster's house at some stage. The whole Station Road area is on the list for development, but Peter and I haven't worked out how we are going to do it yet.  The Police Station will definitely be there, but not in full relief.

I had thought that it might well be a former Stationmasters house, or something similar, given the location. 

I have no recollection of the former condition of Station Road, I only remember the filthy expanse of the former coal yard/car park and the Police Station. I don’t clearly recall the construction of the present multi-storey, although it was later than the main multi-storey across Bourges Boulevard. 

I suspect though, that the compression of the distance between the Great Northern and the Crescent Bridge will be challenging to accommodate, so I will be most interested to see the eventual result 

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I had thought that it might well be a former Stationmasters house, or something similar, given the location. 

I have no recollection of the former condition of Station Road, I only remember the filthy expanse of the former coal yard/car park and the Police Station. I don’t clearly recall the construction of the present multi-storey, although it was later than the main multi-storey across Bourges Boulevard. 

I suspect though, that the compression of the distance between the Great Northern and the Crescent Bridge will be challenging to accommodate, so I will be most interested to see the eventual result 

It is definitely, in a former life, the Stationmasters house. Incidentally the occupier of the Stationmasters house in 1958 was, most probably, Maurice Hughes who took over as Stationmaster in 1956.

The car parks were built in the early 1980's with Queensgate shopping centre opening in March 1982 although plans for Queensgate had been made in the 1970's and, indeed, the Waitrose store in the centre had been announced as early as 1978. Unfortunately I cannot, at present, tie down a date for the multi-storey car park near the station.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, great northern said:

A golf lesson today. Basically, everything I thought I was doing wrong, I wasn't, and most things I thought I was getting right I wasn't either. Then hours of meetings, and not home till 1900, so no trains have run.

The 2.10pm York and Hull featured a triplet set, but until recently they were in my fixed Newcastle rakes. Now they are loose stock, and so the train can be correctly formed. ignore the KX- Newcastle board please.

Above the coaches is another shot of the N5. Neil will be pleased. It was about showing the lamps, but then I remembered I'd already dealt with that. It looked nice in the view finder though, so I took a photo anyway. It is above the coaches because the ****** new system insisted it was going to put it there.612590187_1loadingbay.JPG.138d46a966742776289f7ca7e2cc3bd8.JPG

526522454_10rake1.JPG.fb404440331989fb50c30ef5dac1141f.JPG1093979586_11rake2.JPG.f0c30bb55bb37eb2717933bbfc89cc05.JPG859617637_12rake4.JPG.753156dd79261eb71fa84be6fddbf92e.JPG985194923_13rake4a.JPG.808d582019de00f24433e78f72050b14.JPG1981126187_15rakeend.JPG.6a0efb4a0388217fb7ff22d78001e589.JPG

Hi Gilbert,

Loving the photographs as ever. Remember that plus button to add pics will add the picture where ever the cursor is.  To add text below a picture AFTER you have added it, use the right arrow cursor key on the keyboard to put the cursor to the end (ie after the image) and then hit the return key.

Other than clicking a plus symbol, rather than the words ‘Add to post’ my experience is that the new site works no different to the old one in this respect.

Query for you, you said on one of the captions that you’d taken the triple set out of a permanent formation, have you added to the coaching stock fleet to do that, and what’s replaced the triple in the other set?

Rich

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Gilbert,

Loving the photographs as ever. Remember that plus button to add pics will add the picture where ever the cursor is.  To add text below a picture AFTER you have added it, use the right arrow cursor key on the keyboard to put the cursor to the end (ie after the image) and then hit the return key.

Other than clicking a plus symbol, rather than the words ‘Add to post’ my experience is that the new site works no different to the old one in this respect.

Query for you, you said on one of the captions that you’d taken the triple set out of a permanent formation, have you added to the coaching stock fleet to do that, and what’s replaced the triple in the other set?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Many thanks for that. Andy Y has also kindly taken me through the procedure this morning, so hopefully all will now be well.

What I've done with the stock is to remove some previously permanent rakes completely, and to put all of the stock freed up either into dedicated cassettes, or as loose stock in the fiddle yard. That means I now have two triplets standing in road 2 of the fiddle yard, and they are slotted into formations as needed. Putting together a 12 coach train can require unloading three cassettes, plus hand shunting catering cars and placing loose stock where needed.

That takes longer than just hooking a loco up to a fixed formation, but not an unacceptably longer time, and it allows me to have all the correct formations instead of a few correct ones which had to cover all services. It's a trade off as these things always are. I'm happy to spend that bit of extra time to have the satisfaction of running the correct stock. This would never work with an exhibition layout of course, but my layout will never be exhibited, so that doesn't matter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Memory tells me that York engines were rarely cleaned John, and the photographic record tends to support that. My loco's condition is based on a photo taken by Colin Walker which appears in Trails of Steam Vol 2 Peterborough, and was definitely taken in summer of 58. Can't show it here though for copyright reasons.

56 minutes ago, great northern said:

Memory tells me that York engines were rarely cleaned John, and the photographic record tends to support that. My loco's condition is based on a photo taken by Colin Walker which appears in Trails of Steam Vol 2 Peterborough, and was definitely taken in summer of 58. Can't show it here though for copyright reasons.

York and Gateshead were the filthiest in LNER days, or was it just Gateshead? 

Gateshead definitely! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Loving that last B&W shot, Gilbert, if there was some smoke and steam from the locos, it would be even more difficult to tell that it's a model - this shot is very realistic indeed.

Edited by 45156
typo
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 45156 said:

Loving that last B&W shot, Gilbert, if there was some smoke and steam from the locos, it would be even more difficult to tell that it's a model - this shot is very realistic indeed.

The problem as I see it though is that added on steam and smoke detracts from realism rather than adding to it. If it could be done convincingly, that would be a different matter.

• Agree 2