Peterborough North

great northern

10 hours ago, great northern said:

So, off to bed with that song in my mind resulted in the best night's sleep I've had in ages. Now I have a golf lesson to wind me up again, if I allow it so to do. Apologies, I still find it very hard to split infinitives.

Let us have some photigraffs. Here is Mons Meg again, sizzling away gently, and looking as ungainly as only the creations of Thompson can.

433106684_85042.JPG.983da80873a29e0639559de8a3966d6a.JPG

Meg has gone on her way. 91 minutes for 76 miles with only six on shouldn't be too taxing. She will shortly be replaced at Platform 2 by another Leicester- East local, which brings the increasingly rare sight of a Compound in steam. From what I've read, most of the survivors were in store by this time.

1606420887_911571.JPG.33f8f1933e1385da18a9c9460a8b3f79.JPG

The detail of your comments always fascinate me, Gilbert. Why on earth would Mons Meg take 91 minutes to KX even including a stop at Huntingdon I think, with only 6 on when quite heavy trains were doing it in 80 minutes or so ?  It seems in those days there was very little consistency in the timings of certain trains. If I remember rightly I think 90 minutes would have been. B1 timing ?

Or were Thompson Pacifics really that bad ? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Manager of the Music College at which I studied and taught counted as her two best friends - from school days apparently - Helen Mirren and Dave Gilmour. We played Floyd's albums as background music in the college and often performed them in workshops with the students (they loved the long guitar solos too...!)  I met the wonderful Ms Mirren once but Mr G remained an enigma; the weekend parties at his country home were, however,  legendary, and our Manager was frequently missing on Mondays...

Shine on...

David 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, great northern said:

An evening with the headphones on, finishing with Floyd's wondrous Up and Down is very good preparation for a quiet night's sleep, or at least I hope so. I don't mind if that tune lingers in my head all night.

Here's some pictures while I play back the saxaphone solo in my mind. For some reason, the chappie took another very similar picture of Nottingham Forest, but then it is a very nice sight.

1028494905_21666.JPG.2fbede1366d9bac4ac3bc0feeaa25f66.JPG

Then we have the 4.40 Up Doncaster, just six cars except on Fridays, when it loaded to ten or more including eight Mk1 TSOs. I don't have that many lying loose, so it isn't Friday. That means another very light load for an A2/2, but Mons Meg is used to that.

1163431806_75041.JPG.06521444c0f8807945d765b21a869ff2.JPG

• Like 2

G'Day Folks

I don't mind listening to music when in the railway room, anything from Enya, to Queen, to War of the Worlds, and Mike Oldfield, but some of the old loco's seem to drown them out, on occasion !

As for Mr 'Flying Duck's' preference for creaking shiny leather, I'm not sure whether his music taste's move onto Jim Morrison or Suzi Q ??????

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jazzer said:

The detail of your comments always fascinate me, Gilbert. Why on earth would Mons Meg take 91 minutes to KX even including a stop at Huntingdon I think, with only 6 on when quite heavy trains were doing it in 80 minutes or so ?  It seems in those days there was very little consistency in the timings of certain trains. If I remember rightly I think 90 minutes would have been. B1 timing ?

Or were Thompson Pacifics really that bad ? 

The 91 minutes included  8 minutes recovery time south of Hatfield, in case the poor thing ran out of breath, but seriously, it wasn't a very quick railway back then. The preceding express was the White Rose which was allowed 84 minutes from passing PN, and before that the Up Glasgow was allowed all but 90. Admittedly both had eleven on, but even so it wasn't a challenging schedule. Again the White Rose had 8 minutes recovery time, and the Glasgow no less than 11. Little incentive or need for crews to exert themselves much.

• RMweb Premium

I got that wrong, as I'd forgotten to crop the image, so the cursor was in the wrong place, and refused to cooperate. What I meant to do was to show that by moving slightly to the left, the photographer could also get this view. He had to lean over a bit though.

1826217367_3bay.JPG.cb4ff5fbd057d154e6987489c1798257.JPG

• Like 18

14 hours ago, great northern said:

The 91 minutes included  8 minutes recovery time south of Hatfield, in case the poor thing ran out of breath, but seriously, it wasn't a very quick railway back then. The preceding express was the White Rose which was allowed 84 minutes from passing PN, and before that the Up Glasgow was allowed all but 90. Admittedly both had eleven on, but even so it wasn't a challenging schedule. Again the White Rose had 8 minutes recovery time, and the Glasgow no less than 11. Little incentive or need for crews to exert themselves much.

my memory is that it was normally about 90 minutes Peterborough to Kings Cross in the early 1960's. First time I came back up the East Coast Main Line on a 125, I got a shock when we were passing Peterborough in 45 minutes!

Lloyd

• Like 2

Saturday afternoons out of the cross were a nightmare. We used to catch a train at around 2.00 for Grantham  and were often sat on board waiting for a Locomotive. We once waited for a V2 that had arrived in London from the North at the head of a pigeon train. Quickly turned , coaled  & water, then sent to the cross to return North.  Happy days all the same.

17 hours ago, great northern said:

Thanks for that clarification . I only have a 1960 public timetable, which obviously don't include those details. The up run always seems to have been allowed a few extra minutes than the down journey which I always assumed was perhaps due to congestion or the general need to ease approaching the Capital . Interestingly by 1960 times had speeded up a little with plenty of trains being allowed 80 min on the Down journey  but the 4.40 pm up from Doncaster that we have mentioned had been extended to 93 minutes ! 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Ooooh, the B12 and N5 in one post!  That B12 is almost as nice as the Claude, Gilbert.

Hi Gilbert,

Can you please be a bit more thoughtful. Poor Mrs Three legged Neil has to clean up the mess he is in after such photos. :notme:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, great northern said:

Golden Fleece continues its stately progress northwards.

1115469750_8TT2.JPG.c64114809707c6bc2fa41ef54dee2644.JPG

and not much further on, it's pampered clients may have suffered an olfactory assault, as the Hull fish passed close by, before making its way through the station.

703344970_9fish1.JPG.3329475df4e128fd5d6045acae8a637b.JPG

Quite a good programme on Hornby just finished on BBC4, but do we always have to have the false jeopardy every time?

Just loved that bloke doing the Airfix build....what a star. 00 Gauge Society layout……. best left unsaid. Other interesting characters were available......

Such fun.

P

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I can't get enough of your superb trackwork, its just perfect. More windy-wet weather to cancel your golf plans and oblige you to take pics of your trains please! :D

That didn't work Martin. I didn't take any. It was very dark though.

• Funny 1