Peterborough North

great northern

Even among the super pictures on this thread the B1 stands out. Exactly as I remember them at Liverpool St, on the Cambridge and Parkeston Quay turns. Breathtakingly good weathering.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Ah, once again our host notes impatience with a loco name. If we take the name to refer to spam and chutney etc maybe so, but it is of course a fine coastal town in East Kent, where the Earl simply gave his name to the style of food about 250 years ago. The last time I was in, or at least near, Sandwich, I was watching Tiger Woods battling sea-breezes and drizzle on the course there in the Open. . 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Ah, once again our host notes impatience with a loco name. If we take the name to refer to spam and chutney etc maybe so, but it is of course a fine coastal town in East Kent, where the Earl simply gave his name to the style of food about 250 years ago. The last time I was in, or at least near, Sandwich, I was watching Tiger Woods battling sea-breezes and drizzle on the course there in the Open. . 

I agree the name has several positive connotations Ian, the town having been named after a famous naval officer, and an 'orse named after him, or the town, or both, won the 1931 St Leger. Nevertheless, I don't feel it sits well on an A3, any more than Pretty Polly did.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, great northern said:

I agree the name has several positive connotations Ian, the town having been named after a famous naval officer, and an 'orse named after him, or the town, or both, won the 1931 St Leger. Nevertheless, I don't feel it sits well on an A3, any more than Pretty Polly did.

Are naval officers allowed to take part in the St Leger?  He must have been very fast.

I think Pretty Polly is a lovely name for a locomotive.

• Funny 3

I do know of course that 60061 was really named after a Racehorse :-

It could have been this one.

Pretty Polly was bred and owned by Major Eustace Loder and trained by Peter Gilpin, she won nine races from nine starts as a two-year-old in 1903.

The following year, Pretty Polly won the 1,000 Guineas as 1-4 favourite, winning easily by three lengths in record time. Other wins as a three-year-old were The Oaks, the Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot, the Nassau Stakes at Goodwood, the St. Leger Stakes (completing the Fillies' Triple Crown) and the Park Hill Stakes with jockey William Lane.

Pretty Polly stayed in training as a four and five-year-old, winning six more races, including the Coronation Cup in 1905 and 1906.

In total, Pretty Polly won 22 of her 24 races, placing second twice, in Paris in 1904 and in the 1906 Ascot Gold Cup.

However it was actually named after "Pretty Polly"   that won the Chester Cup in 1933.

6 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Pretty Polly was bred and owned by Major Eustace Loder and trained by Peter Gilpin, she won nine races from nine starts as a two-year-old in 1903.

The following year, Pretty Polly won the 1,000 Guineas as 1-4 favourite, winning easily by three lengths in record time. Other wins as a three-year-old were The Oaks, the Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot, the Nassau Stakes at Goodwood, the St. Leger Stakes (completing the Fillies' Triple Crown) and the Park Hill Stakes with jockey William Lane.

Pretty Polly stayed in training as a four and five-year-old, winning six more races, including the Coronation Cup in 1905 and 1906.

In total, Pretty Polly won 22 of her 24 races, placing second twice, in Paris in 1904 and in the 1906 Ascot Gold Cup.

However it was actually named after "Pretty Polly"   that won the Chester Cup in 1933.

AFAIK the name for a race horse can only be used once according to the rules of the Jockey Club.

60061 was my favourite being the first A3 I ever set eyes on.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

According to RCTS, it was named after Major Loder's filly, which does seem to have been a remarkably swift 'orse. Was that because it often had a lot of stallions chasing it?

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, boeing7572t6 said:

AFAIK the name for a race horse can only be used once according to the rules of the Jockey Club.

60061 was my favourite being the first A3 I ever set eyes on.

I took my information from Wikipedia so I may well need correcting.

Cutler, you may well be right, my knowledge and interest in horsey matters is minimal.

My encounter with 61 occurred in 1961 at Finsbury Park, she had a double chimney and wing deflectors, not those Teutonic troughs which came later. To me that was the most handsome format for the A3.

Oh to still be able to see such wonderful locos in main line service.

cheers

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, great northern said:

As I look out across the snowfields, it is time to reveal the last goodie which Tim brought on Friday. It is another B1, but we have already established that you can't have too many of them. This is another New England engine, replacing one which succumbed to the dreaded Bachmann split chassis disease. It was shopped in late spring, and so has not yet reached the depths of 34E neglect.

3_1210_1.JPG.b9e7f065593697b03cd51bd8c5440f18.JPG

1652580292_412102.JPG.5a2f0cef8ba8ced9039450365eac8de2.JPG

61210 Built by Mr Hornby I  trust ?

Edited by CUTLER2579
Typing Error
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Gilbert,

I seem to remember that not so long ago, you had the blues about your modelling and Peterborough.

How ironic then, that you have now hit the rich vein of form evidenced by the brilliant photographs spread out over the last few pages. This layout and the characters who pass through and around it are fantastic: I would go so far as to say irreplaceable as a piece of modelling.

Thank you so much for sharing all this. Truly epic!

Best wishes,

Alastair M.

• Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, great northern said:

As I look out across the snowfields, it is time to reveal the last goodie which Tim brought on Friday. It is another B1, but we have already established that you can't have too many of them. This is another New England engine, replacing one which succumbed to the dreaded Bachmann split chassis disease. It was shopped in late spring, and so has not yet reached the depths of 34E neglect.

3_1210_1.JPG.b9e7f065593697b03cd51bd8c5440f18.JPG

1652580292_412102.JPG.5a2f0cef8ba8ced9039450365eac8de2.JPG

A lovely job, Gilbert, but may I ask a question, please?

Was the original Hornby loco equipped with electric lighting?

If so, the main conduit isn't attached to the generator, nor is there any means of getting electricity to the top lamp bracket. If not, should they not be so?  

61212.jpg.eb5a3354d3b8a5402693b6f26b090b35.jpg

Retford's 'Rocket' (or was it 61211?) at home in 1962/'3. I can find no prototype picture of the horizontal conduit being 'horizontal'.

159040275_Signalboxmodel.jpg.90ddfaebef2d3d662df4944c2dedb35a.jpg

My 40+ year old Nu-Cast B1 on a Comet chassis, complete with electric lighting (and a hideously over-scale lamp). The main conduit, and the others, were made from fusewire. 

One other question; how does Tim line-up his cabside numbers? I use a very soft pencil mark as a baseline for getting them as straight as I can (it rubs off easily without trace afterwards). The number on the offside slopes a bit on your model. 

These remarks are made in the spirit of 'constructive criticism'.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A lovely job, Gilbert, but may I ask a question, please?

Was the original Hornby loco equipped with electric lighting?

If so, the main conduit isn't attached to the generator, nor is there any means of getting electricity to the top lamp bracket. If not, should they not be so?  

If the Hornby B1 was originally 61270, I suspect they used the wrong mould for the smokebox as mine was also missing the conduit parts that you mention; I reinstated them using copper wire!

P1000911.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

32 minutes ago, 31A said:

If the Hornby B1 was originally 61270, I suspect they used the wrong mould for the smokebox as mine was also missing the conduit parts that you mention; I reinstated them using copper wire!

P1000911.jpg

Thanks Steve,

If nothing else it shows that even the best RTR locos are really just 'starting points' for getting an accurate model. 'Personal' modelling at its best. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tony and Steve. The loco did indeed start life as 61270. We all have our own areas of expertise, and Tim's is weathering. However, he is very keen to get details right, and I know he will make sure that this gets done when he is next here.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Tony W may be pleased to know that I have have a lens hood, and that Tim has now shown me how to attach it. Why does nothing come with instructions any more?  However, I have not discovered how to get results with it, so may I please have a tutorial when you are next in the area?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, great northern said:

Tony W may be pleased to know that I have have a lens hood, and that Tim has now shown me how to attach it. Why does nothing come with instructions any more?  However, I have not discovered how to get results with it, so may I please have a tutorial when you are next in the area?

Let's fix up a date, Gilbert,

I've yet to try and fix that point as well.......................