Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Good morning Gilbert. If you get fed up with thrashing you ba11s this afternoon then take a little tootle down to your local Station and watch a magnificent Pacific thunder through, heading for Nottingham, at around 14.37 (flooding permitted of course). Not to be missed on such a wonderful day.

Duck.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Good morning Gilbert. If you get fed up with thrashing you ba11s this afternoon then take a little tootle down to your local Station and watch a magnificent Pacific thunder through, heading for Nottingham, at around 14.37 (flooding permitted of course). Not to be missed on such a wonderful day.

Duck.

I'm expecting TW today Phil, to sort out a recalcitrant point and speak severely to a couple of malfunctioning locos. If we get on well, we may be able to take a break and have a look.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

There is an unwritten law that a lovely Claud posed against the canopy on Platform 6 must be photographed, however many times it has been done before.

884062934_325303.JPG.8b141cbf57659c8c08da9ddfe26690b9.JPG

Close behind the Claud comes an 02 with a Class H from Letchworth. First seen about to pass the box as it creeps along the  Down slow.

1002786503_439571.JPG.30ec32c52b62b233cd9c5e43e38b12fd.JPG

Now I await the arrival of TW, while trying to sort out golf club stuff which is kicking off a bit.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, great northern said:

I'm expecting TW today Phil, to sort out a recalcitrant point and speak severely to a couple of malfunctioning locos. If we get on well, we may be able to take a break and have a look.

If you do please make sure TW notes the detail difference on this loco, driver's side:pleasantry::heat:

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Duck.

She passed here blowing off for the 30mph restriction through our up road platform 6mins up on the schedule at 1131 (not bad for 20miles run..).That's even after having to stop and attend to a brake pipe issue further north....

I feel if she was left to her own devices, she could really gain some time on the booked path....

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, uax6 said:

She passed here blowing off for the 30mph restriction through our up road platform 6mins up on the schedule at 1131 (not bad for 20miles run..).That's even after having to stop and attend to a brake pipe issue further north....

I feel if she was left to her own devices, she could really gain some time on the booked path....

Andy G

Thanks Andy. It would appear that this recently returned to service loco is a proper job machine with a typical MN Boiler that steams like a dragon. Once the fireperson gets used to the balance required and if it is in good mechanical nick, then it should/could go like the clappers. Had no Diesel support at Retford on Saturday and went off and up Gamston like s### off a shovel despite the vile weather and pretty poor railhead conditions. Sounded magnificent as well. Quite surprised some bemused passengers at the station as well…..great fun when that happens.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

She certainly sounded in very good health, and on both her runs past me (yesterday and today) she has made easy work of the timings. 2mins yesterday and 6 mins today. Yesterday caught me on the hop, as we only have a long approach track circuit and a stopwatch, so gaining 2 mins thew my guess out of the window, and I ended up having to run for the gates not to distant check her! Today I guessed a bit better and got the gates in plenty of time....

I was surprised at the size of the manhole that is the chimney, its diameter is huge, you could loose quite fat old bloke down it rather than a small child....

Andy G

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Phil,

She certainly sounded in very good health, and on both her runs past me (yesterday and today) she has made easy work of the timings. 2mins yesterday and 6 mins today. Yesterday caught me on the hop, as we only have a long approach track circuit and a stopwatch, so gaining 2 mins thew my guess out of the window, and I ended up having to run for the gates not to distant check her! Today I guessed a bit better and got the gates in plenty of time....

I was surprised at the size of the manhole that is the chimney, its diameter is huge, you could loose quite fat old bloke down it rather than a small child....

Andy G

I am not saying this...…..when I was at school we used to try to lob conkers down those chimneys at Devonport KIng's Road Yard overbridge. Was quite easy and the exhaust was pleasant as well......probably why I'm like I am today.

Well done with the gates.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you for your hospitality today Gilbert,

I hope your golf meeting goes well this evening.

The results of my pictures below (explanations are on Wright Writes).

270400603_9Fonparcels01.jpg.4b4999b030fcba3a64cd7869a3541f2e.jpg

1948041693_9Fonparcels02.jpg.9bd23068eb1fbd9c4affe490e4cc8ee0.jpg

1121263061_C1201.jpg.a1939cfa84ce006e3a4170b80a3f8e91.jpg

381552701_C1202.jpg.1427b77e4518052245381a29f05e11a2.jpg

I'd be intrigued to see how you get on with the ones you took, using pulses of fill-in flash. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, great northern said:

For a while today I'd had enough, and seriously considered writing a letter containing the R word. In the end things improved, and so I'm still in the straitjacket, voluntarily of course. The railway got very little time in the end, but one or two trains did run, including the 8.30pm to Melton Constable. Off goes 43067, the relevant signal having been returned to the on position commendably quickly.

1819082621_13067.JPG.32b5e7598d944e9acc39afc471e04a5e.JPG

I also found time to photoshop a couple of the photos taken with TW's assistance. So here we go, Gilbert on camera and lens hood, and TW on fill in flash.

907068649_1TW1.JPG.0d483a2c0fc227e5c7120606481bd31b.JPG

I'll be interested to hear what Tony thinks of this. And anyone else, of course.

The latter picture has certainly resulted in stronger shadows, Gilbert; suggesting a sunny day? What time did that parcels/ECS run? Late afternoon from the shadows. 

You've still taken the picture from the 'illuminated' side, though, not contre-jour. Did you take any a few inches further left, from the 'dark side'? And, how did the one you took of the C12 turn out? 

293193955_9Fonparcels02.jpg.8b82b719a80940455d4894d3ee53cc29.jpg

One of mine again in comparison.

Three things to note, if I may, please? For one, the programme I use for taking out the backgrounds doesn't nibble away at the edges of structures, and, two, the greater depth of 'clarity' obtained from a lens capable of stopping down to F32. Three? I think your picture looks more 'natural', the fill-in flash on mine resulting in shadows from two directions - look at the figures' shadows on the platform and the 9F's shadow on the platform's wall. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

The latter picture has certainly resulted in stronger shadows, Gilbert; suggesting a sunny day? What time did that parcels/ECS run? Late afternoon from the shadows. 

You've still taken the picture from the 'illuminated' side, though, not contre-jour. Did you take any a few inches further left, from the 'dark side'? And, how did the one you took of the C12 turn out? 

293193955_9Fonparcels02.jpg.8b82b719a80940455d4894d3ee53cc29.jpg

One of mine again in comparison.

Three things to note, if I may, please? For one, the programme I use for taking out the backgrounds doesn't nibble away at the edges of structures, and, two, the greater depth of 'clarity' obtained from a lens capable of stopping down to F32. Three? I think your picture looks more 'natural', the fill-in flash on mine resulting in shadows from two directions - look at the figures' shadows on the platform and the 9F's shadow on the platform's wall. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I'm putting in one of those we did, but also one of my normal recordings of things happening during the sequence, Tony.  My challenge is that I'm always going to be faced with a strong light source from the West as the layout is set up, so for most of the sequence day the shadows fall in the wrong direction. That parcels comes through late afternoon, so it is more right than most. There's nothing I can do about it of course.

My photoshopping programme is a free one, and so naturally it is somewhat less sophisticated than the ones that you and Andy Y use. Add in a less than sophisticated operator as well, and the results are never anywhere near perfect.  I try to make them look presentable if blown up from 25% to 66%, but offer no warranty above that! As usual it is all about the time one is prepared to put in, and I don't want to spend hours on a single image as professionals have to do.

Golf club politics took over my day yesterday, and today I'm off to Doncaster to take my frustrations out on poor innocent golf balls, but I'll gradually put more of the shots I took contre jour(ish) when I have time.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Gilbert, you seem to have trouble with the light coming in....I remember when I visited, it is beautiful to sit and watch the trains in the basking light. 

But, for photographs, could you not just get a set of blackout curtains? 

Close them for photos and then then open them up for running? 

Layouts looking good! 

Will you be attending Warley? If so, I shall see you there! 

Jesse