Peterborough North

great northern

18 hours ago, great northern said:

1353379130_15800andB1.JPG.5e1f22c010fb245d075e9461f3018155.JPG

648637324_16800.JPG.2f4bfb5560174575b4f337df148b8924.JPG

15 800 and B1.JPG

I think those two pics show that, even with the highest standards of modelling, photographing an 00 gauge loco from directly front-on doesn't give satisfying results. Wheels are just too close together and the tyres too thick. The second pic shifted to one side handles the incorrect gauge problem much more sympathetically.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Definitley tired again. Energy seems to be in short supply. I have prepared some more pictures though, and played good golf with useless putting. Now I need to remember what these pictures are. Oh, yes, from a higher than usual vantage point, a 9F wheels more coal  southbound.

1384691590_12188.JPG.5f566a9683cf55db5f11b4de5fec6afe.JPG

Meanwhile dishevelled Golden Eagle has slipped into the bay, and awaits the arrival of the Colchester- Edinburgh.

1779066490_223.JPG.581f32af634cae083597bd365d4c917b.JPG

It has somehow kept a full complement of front end appendages. One of the few to do so.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/03/2019 at 17:20, Martin S-C said:

I think those two pics show that, even with the highest standards of modelling, photographing an 00 gauge loco from directly front-on doesn't give satisfying results. Wheels are just too close together and the tyres too thick. The second pic shifted to one side handles the incorrect gauge problem much more sympathetically.

It's a problem with photographing OO Gauge stock encountered by all. 

One way of mitigating it is to use nearer scale bogie/pony wheels (from front-on, what the camera really 'sees'). The RTR 'fat' tyres and treads are needed to negotiate 'Universal' and/or poor trackwork. 

One thing I find more 'concerning' is the over-scale diameter of the Bachmann V2 smokebox/boiler. In fact, the whole body on the ageing 2-6-2 is very poor. I wonder when the revised Bachmann V2 will appear? 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It's a problem with photographing OO Gauge stock encountered by all. 

One way of mitigating it is to use nearer scale bogie/pony wheels (from front-on, what the camera really 'sees'). The RTR 'fat' tyres and treads are needed to negotiate 'Universal' and/or poor trackwork. 

One thing I find more 'concerning' is the over-scale diameter of the Bachmann V2 smokebox/boiler. In fact, the whole body on the ageing 2-6-2 is very poor. I wonder when the revised Bachmann V2 will appear? 

When indeed?  It's the last really pressing need for PN. At least Green Arrow has a better chassis, but the body is way off. It seems to be low priority at Barwell though.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Morning All,

With the permission of our glorious leader, here are some pictures of a PN project being worked on in the background.

Whilst the clutch of signals at the north end continue to grace many a picture of the layout, one or two of them do not bear too close inspection. I am delighted therefore to have been asked to do something about it.

WP_20180319_13_27_08_Pro.jpg.c1a6dcb9ffc665e355a8a7fd72073f86.jpgWP_20180319_12_14_15_Pro.jpg.ae80c9435bb35e2f703d66359a9f8c01.jpg

First to be tackled is one of three more or less identical bracket signals, being that controlling movements off the down goods line, seen here (on the left) in a cropped camfone image from one of Glibert's reference books (hope that doesn't violate too many copyright laws?). Alongside (taken from the other side) is the current equivalent signal on the layout. As you can see, it has a few 'issues', not least the aftermath of something heavy having been dropped on it in times past (note the mangled main post latticework two thirds of the way up!).

DSC04795.JPG.9c1cd2e74fd4fc92f84f618e7d00db96.JPG

Another of its issues is that is that the lattice bracket work, although similar, is not the right shape. Unfortunately, although there is a 'double' bracket in the ex-MSE range, it is not the right shape either. Having failed in an attempt to get one etched for me, I took the plunge and decided to make one up to my own drawing, using the smallest (0.8mm) flat brass bar available.

DSC05056.JPG.1a844167ef8f392ec4d74fbefdb3182b.JPG

Here are the completed brackets, alongside the main post. This (the post) is a standard Wizard item - however, I have reinforced it with fine brass angle up all four edges. As well as being more realistic, this will help make it more knock-proof ... just in case.

DSC05649.JPG.c5356b5206f56e3b784d4bdab4881b76.JPGFrom here on, the work should be more straightforward, if a little fiddly. Standard Wizard parts again can be used for the dolls.

DSC05670.JPG.a3d622d1302fccbc2b0198f3cac8c584.JPGAnd here is where I'm up to as of last night. Basic signal structure complete and with landing ready to be affixed.

More to follow in due course. And, in more positive news, I have now found a willing volunteer to do the etches for the other two signals(!) so they should be a little more straightforward when their turn comes.

Lovely stuff Graham. I must admit that I've been more and more inclined to crop that signal out of images when I can, so to know that a replacement, and a far better one at that, is on the way, is really good news. In fairness, some of the signals this end, including this one, are over twenty year old, so they've done me proud.

How did this get whacked?  Well, I was trying to get a file down from one of the shelves above, but I didn't realise that there was something else out of sight on top of it, so when I pulled, that slid off and headed down wards in free fall. My hand shot out instinctively, so instead of the small object hitting the signal, my hand clouted it, and literally knocked it sideways. It was bent at right angles, so I did well to get it to where it now is. I shall be glad to see the back of it though, and to know that others may be making progress.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

You did a very good job on straightening that signal.

As for the first picture above, did they have steam powered Drones in the 50's..............

manna

I think he has one of those powered backpacks that you sometimes see in sci fi films, but I'm not sure if it is steam powered. Where would one insert the coal?

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

I think he has one of those powered backpacks that you sometimes see in sci fi films, but I'm not sure if it is steam powered. Where would one insert the coal?

I can think of a few places , which might not be too comfortable. :fie:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I can think of a few places , which might not be too comfortable. :fie:

Yes, that is the burning question. He would probably leap well into the air without the need of any other form of propulsion, actually.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, great northern said:

How did this get whacked?  Well, I was trying to get a file down from one of the shelves above, but I didn't realise that there was something else out of sight on top of it, so when I pulled, that slid off and headed down wards in free fall. My hand shot out instinctively, so instead of the small object hitting the signal, my hand clouted it, and literally knocked it sideways. It was bent at right angles, so I did well to get it to where it now is. I shall be glad to see the back of it though, and to know that others may be making progress.

Don't dispose of the damaged signal, cut it up into components, saving the best bits and use it as a wagon load for the S&T Dept.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1