Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Flight completed. Le Duck (that should really be Le Drake should it not?), back at 36E and not one beastly bust-up upon the A46 and A1 thank goodness. Most enjoyable few hours rest at PN and Gilbert, do run that pesky Triplet round a good few times and have a good look at it to make sure you are happy with the realignment. If not, we shall tackle it soon matey. Good to meet your other guest today and have fun discussing the meaning of 42 and DCC. Thanks also for the mags; I shall, of course, return them if they were not intended to be parted with.

Yo

Le Drake of Retford.

Wonderful to visit you today Gilbert to see the layout and chat about all kinds of things. Great to meet Herr von Duck as well. I learned a lot about DCC control and macros as well as the cassette arrangements.

I am sorry to say that Peterborough station is a shadow of what it was as is the surrounding area but if there is anything you need pics of, just drop me a note and I'll easily have time to do a quick photographic trip.

Now that I can put a face to the name I won't be calling you Kevin any more either!

The photos of that curious green machine with a cab at the wrong end have come out well.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Flight completed. Le Duck (that should really be Le Drake should it not?), back at 36E and not one beastly bust-up upon the A46 and A1 thank goodness. Most enjoyable few hours rest at PN and Gilbert, do run that pesky Triplet round a good few times and have a good look at it to make sure you are happy with the realignment. If not, we shall tackle it soon matey. Good to meet your other guest today and have fun discussing the meaning of 42 and DCC. Thanks also for the mags; I shall, of course, return them if they were not intended to be parted with.

Yo

Le Drake of Retford.

No, no Phil. If you were French, and I'm not suggesting you are for one moment, mon dieu non, but if you were, and if you were also an aristocratic sort of chappie, you would be Le Duc de Retford, but Retford, when I lived there, showed very few gallic tendencies, so you may not be.

I don't need the mags back, so do with them what you will.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Wonderful to visit you today Gilbert to see the layout and chat about all kinds of things. Great to meet Herr von Duck as well. I learned a lot about DCC control and macros as well as the cassette arrangements.

I am sorry to say that Peterborough station is a shadow of what it was as is the surrounding area but if there is anything you need pics of, just drop me a note and I'll easily have time to do a quick photographic trip.

Now that I can put a face to the name I won't be calling you Kevin any more either!

The photos of that curious green machine with a cab at the wrong end have come out well.

Good to meet you Martin, and a very enjoyable day. I hope something useful to you came out of it. It's really good that two people whose ideal layout wants are so different can get on as well as we did.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I do like a baby Deltic even though I’m too young to have seen one. They’re one of the reasons I model the South end of the ECML. Is that the first time we’ve seen her on PN? Nice subtle weathering on the loco. 

I believe it is the first time Andy, though I can't remember why.

• RMweb Premium

The C12 has moved along, and a Castle is revealed, a proper one too. Brancepeth Castle in fact.

330323209_2C12andB17.JPG.e055f5519fb43e6d88c9669c31fd1e9a.JPG

Someone has also realised that the V2 which has been on pilot duty for days isn't going to get much mileage if it keeps on doing that. It doesn't quite have enough to allow a proposal for a general overhaul yet, so it has been sent off to do something which will boost it a bit. Its replacement looks even more in need of attention.

1052222708_3V2pilot.JPG.10dfab6513453c0cc3c38ada42d1511b.JPG

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

As always, love to follow your thread, but couldn't put my finger on what was so different about the C12 shunting coaching stock.....after a long time staring at the picture, the penny finally dropped, ....................articulated bogie, lovely bit of modelling, how difficult is it to use this in your stock? 

Best regards,

Tom D

13 hours ago, great northern said:

Still one more shot of the baby Deltic, before it goes off on shed and confounds the fitters.

1115180710_12a5901last.JPG.eb50d91f106247759db15ebab2c2a3f3.JPG

and now, as the last of the light fades, our photographer wends his weary way home. By 7.00am though, either he or someone else is already up and about. All that is on view though is the C12  propelling the stock for the first KX stopper, which it will place in the carriage siding at the far end.

1246203098_1pilot1.JPG.a5f5d66d3ae553bfc15531e23aecf2ca.JPG

Someone has also realised that the V2 which has been on pilot duty for days isn't going to get much mileage if it keeps on doing that.

Isn't it in Top Shed where PT relates that locos badly in need of an early shopping were booked to pilot duties and a nominal mileage each day while they sat cold in the shed until they reached the proposal threshhold?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tom D said:

As always, love to follow your thread, but couldn't put my finger on what was so different about the C12 shunting coaching stock.....after a long time staring at the picture, the penny finally dropped, ....................articulated bogie, lovely bit of modelling, how difficult is it to use this in your stock? 

Best regards,

Tom D

Sorry Tom, I'm not sure what you mean by difficult. It isn't difficult to justify using it, in fact it is absolutely essential for the Kings Cross stopping trains. Difficult in the sense of operation? No, I haven't experienced any problems with derailment, or anything else.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Isn't it in Top Shed where PT relates that locos badly in need of an early shopping were booked to pilot duties and a nominal mileage each day while they sat cold in the shed until they reached the proposal threshhold?

He certainly recounts a story about one Pacific, an A3 I think, though I don't remember which one, which was so run down and rough riding that the men refused to take it out on passenger work. As I recall, it was indeed refused because the mileage wasn't high enough, and the subterfuge of booking it to pilot duty was used.

I also remember Dick Hardy mentioning using the same solution, but again not the exact details.

• Like 1

the stock for the 7.35 Parly to Doncaster.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but is that a 6 wheeler between vehicles 4 and 6?  If so is it a BZ and therefore non-gangwayed?  Is this two portions or a part ECS working?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Apologies if this has been covered before, but is that a 6 wheeler between vehicles 4 and 6?  If so is it a BZ and therefore non-gangwayed?  Is this two portions or a part ECS working?

It is as the official formations book says it should be Jonathan. From far end, BZ BSK CK BZ for Doncaster, then BSK SK CK SK BSK for Retford, and BG at the rear for Manchester.

• Informative/Useful 2

5 minutes ago, great northern said:

From far end, BZ BSK CK BZ for Doncaster, then BSK SK CK SK BSK for Retford, and BG at the rear for Manchester.

... but I only count eight vehicles including the BG.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, calvin Streeting said:

can i ask whats the first coach..  (sorry for ignorance.. ) :) 

found it a ex LNER BG coach.. i asume.. :) 

Yes. Gresley BG built from a Kirk kit many years ago.

From far end, BZ BSK CK BZ for Doncaster, then BSK SK CK SK BSK for Retford, and BG at the rear for Manchester.

Portions.  Thought so.  If there's no catering, there's no need to have access throughout although you'd hope the guard would make sure everyone was in the right vehicles.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

... but I only count eight vehicles including the BG.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

OK guv, it's a fair cop. You got me bang to rights this time. There should be an Artic twin next to the trailing BG, but something must have distracted me, and I forgot.

Here's a true story. A long long time ago, during the early years of my career, I was sitting in the local Magistrates Court one day, waiting for my client's case to be called, and idly listening to the case in progress. The very young PC giving evidence said that the Defendant had admitted the offence to him, using those exact hackneyed words quoted above. The Defence solicitor, very experienced, asked the Bench to acquit his client, on the basis that no-one would have actually said that, so the PC was lying. And they did! I've always wondered whether the Defendant deliberately said that to set up the defence later. The officer seemed quite genuine when giving his evidence.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4