Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, great northern said:

The big question now is whether I go for a Saturday sequence as well as the current one. It would be far more passenger service orientated, so would that make things less interesting? It would certainly make my express locos work harder, but to do it properly would require a lot of V2s, and Bachmann show no signs of providing them any time soon.

At the least it might add interest for yourself as the operator, in being different to what you're used to, as well as to us as viewers in that you could show us some different workings.  But much work might be involved in 'transitioning' the rolling stock from the M-F service which I presume largely repeats itself from one day to the next, to the SO service which might involve different combinations of rolling stock or indeed different rolling stock altogether in some cases?  Perhaps something to consider anyway; I suspect you've got a while to think about it before Bachmann provide you with more V2s!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 31A said:

At the least it might add interest for yourself as the operator, in being different to what you're used to, as well as to us as viewers in that you could show us some different workings.  But much work might be involved in 'transitioning' the rolling stock from the M-F service which I presume largely repeats itself from one day to the next, to the SO service which might involve different combinations of rolling stock or indeed different rolling stock altogether in some cases?  Perhaps something to consider anyway; I suspect you've got a while to think about it before Bachmann provide you with more V2s!

Not as difficult as I first thought Steve. I'd lose some trains that only ran on weekdays, Tees-Tyne Pullman, Talisman, Fair Maid, for example, and the Elizabethan would need a reversed headboard. Most of the Saturday extras though used a lot of Gresley and particularly Thompson stock, including some very interesting combinations. With my latest cassette and spur set up they would not be difficult to put together, though I'd spend more time doing so than I do now. The difficult ones would be some KX- Skegness trains, which would need eight TSOs, either Gresley or MK1.

Doing without most of the coal trains wouldn't be too much bother, I think, but the parcels and fitted freights are nice to have for variety. The lack of V2s may be the deciding factor in the end though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, great northern said:

Not as difficult as I first thought Steve. I'd lose some trains that only ran on weekdays, Tees-Tyne Pullman, Talisman, Fair Maid, for example, and the Elizabethan would need a reversed headboard. Most of the Saturday extras though used a lot of Gresley and particularly Thompson stock, including some very interesting combinations. With my latest cassette and spur set up they would not be difficult to put together, though I'd spend more time doing so than I do now. The difficult ones would be some KX- Skegness trains, which would need eight TSOs, either Gresley or MK1.

Doing without most of the coal trains wouldn't be too much bother, I think, but the parcels and fitted freights are nice to have for variety. The lack of V2s may be the deciding factor in the end though.

V2s unavailable due to technical checks following an 'incident'. Other engines having to cover the workings.

A. Foreman.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

V2s unavailable due to technical checks following an 'incident'. Other engines having to cover the workings.

A. Foreman.

That would be difficult. The bottom of the barrel had already been scraped on most summer Saturdays. 9Fs were quite regularly used. We might have to borrow some of those spammy things. You have got plenty, after all.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, great northern said:

That would be difficult. The bottom of the barrel had already been scraped on most summer Saturdays. 9Fs were quite regularly used. We might have to borrow some of those spammy things. You have got plenty, after all.

Brits and Std Class 5s and even more B1s.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Brits and Std Class 5s and even more B1s.

P

Yes, but, the Brits are all too busy going to the seaside, and Norwich, we only have three STD 5s, and the crews don't like them, and the B1s are going to the seaside too, as they have plenty of KX- Skeggy trips to do. Anyway, they'd all get knackered, as they aren't that big really.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, geoff west said:

Gilbert,

Thank you for a most enjoyable day, very informative.

You have got me thinking about Huntingdon North now though.

Good to meet up again Geoff, and I hope the demonstrations of cassettes and how to plan them will prove useful. As to Huntingdon, no doubt TW will put you back on the path of righteousness when he hears about it. Seriously, you could make it work, if you are prepared to accept the necessary compromises. And you could definitely have a J15, which is very good. As I said, if I can help with anything else, just give me a shout.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, great northern said:

Yes, but, the Brits are all too busy going to the seaside, and Norwich, we only have three STD 5s, and the crews don't like them, and the B1s are going to the seaside too, as they have plenty of KX- Skeggy trips to do. Anyway, they'd all get knackered, as they aren't that big really.

OK but I am not giving up yet. Control have contacted all sheds in the GN and GC district and ordered that anything that can turn a wheel on passenger duty must be made available and that includes Leeds, South Yorkshire, East Riding, north Lincolnshire and Nottingham area sheds. They have even been in touch with 'the enemy' over at Sheffield and  complimented their colleagues on how wonderful the Jubs and B'k 5s are. I also believe a quantity of Bog carts have been acquired from down Lundin as they are not being used on commuter stuff.

P

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

OK but I am not giving up yet. Control have contacted all sheds in the GN and GC district and ordered that anything that can turn a wheel on passenger duty must be made available and that includes Leeds, South Yorkshire, East Riding, north Lincolnshire and Nottingham area sheds. They have even been in touch with 'the enemy' over at Sheffield and  complimented their colleagues on how wonderful the Jubs and B'k 5s are. I also believe a quantity of Bog carts have been acquired from down Lundin as they are not being used on commuter stuff.

P

Oi Quackers

Please address Diesel Multiple Units by their correct name in future.:rtfm:

The first special on the GNR formed of DMUs was from Lincolnshire to London, an eight car train formed of Cravens units, not the other way round.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

P

Class 5 engines aren't going to do the trick with 13 and 14 coach loads though, whereas everybody knows that V2s were the equivalent of a Pacific, or nearly so, and much much better than so called class 7 engines on other railways.

A. Partisan.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Class 5 engines aren't going to do the trick with 13 and 14 coach loads though, whereas everybody knows that V2s were the equivalent of a Pacific, or nearly so, and much much better than so called class 7 engines on other railways.

A. Partisan.

Agreed, but two Black 5s could shift that. Still trying...…….

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Off topic I know but congratulations Gilbert on your team getting promoted today.

Thanks Rob, I don't mind off topics like that. I've been a supporter for nearly seventy years, through thick and thin, and there seems to have been far more of the latter. The last three years have been fantastic, and I'm very happy tonight.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Thanks Rob, I don't mind off topics like that. I've been a supporter for nearly seventy years, through thick and thin, and there seems to have been far more of the latter. The last three years have been fantastic, and I'm very happy tonight.

….and it may be that we meet next season, the way my lot did not play today. Useless is a compliment!

Ar$£

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Nope, don’t think so (unless I’ve done something really bad that I don’t know I did). I had the same problem. Eventually I had to delete my saved link to the site, reload the site again as a “favourite” and now it seems to be all working again. I put it down to this new fangled technology wot needs feeding gold tokens (apparently).

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, great northern said:

Very strange. I can get on here via e-mail, but if I try to get on direct I keep getting "bad gateway". Has someone got it in for me?

Yes it is bizarre I am having the same issue.