Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
On 16/04/2019 at 22:16, great northern said:

Lots done today, but none of it railway related, nor golf, for that matter. We have a store of photos though. It is now about 9.30 am, and the only time in the day when Up and Down Leicester trains are in the station at the same time, and today both are handled by 4.4.0s. A now rare Compound has the Up train.

1614304844_911571.JPG.94a39c9e8e50b4869ec1d970365748cf.JPG

A vintage 4.4.0, whatever its provenance, is always worth more than one shot.

684436132_1011572.JPG.63cf8ebc73650ea2c3cbbf37c1d9f2ad.JPG

Cor a proper engine for a change. Just as Mr Deeley intended, the improved Mr Johnson's desgin....OK a bit of help from Sir Henry with the superheater.  Pity it is in LNWR livery.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Cor a proper engine for a change. Just as Mr Deeley intended, the improved Mr Johnson's desgin....OK a bit of help from Sir Henry with the superheater.  Pity it is in LNWR livery.

Incorrigible. I think that's the right word.:jester:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, great northern said:

Incorrigible. I think that's the right word.:jester:

Come on here with your posh talk, well here is shock for you. I am not a fan of the prototype Deltic, so there you go a change in my perceived behavior pattern. 

I am a big fan of the Midland Railway Deeley/Fowler look of locomotives. I have a whole shelf on one bookcase just for MR locos. Mind you I have a whole bookcase for diesel locos.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Come on here with your posh talk, well here is shock for you. I am not a fan of the prototype Deltic, so there you go a change in my perceived behavior pattern. 

I am a big fan of the Midland Railway Deeley/Fowler look of locomotives. I have a whole shelf on one bookcase just for MR locos. Mind you I have a whole bookcase for diesel locos.

Posh? Moi?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, calvin Streeting said:

use this button "go to last read post" :) 

Capture.JPG.9729889182c05aff239088e5eee2414f.JPG

Many thanks. Why is it though that there is an assumption that these things will be understood? It's the same with these smartphone thingies. I purchased a paper manual, as I couldn't understand the thing at all, but it assumes a level of prior knowledge which I don't have, so I'm no better off. I did manage to set the alarm yesterday though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

When I bought my Nikon D300, I splashed out for a two-part DVD on how to use it. Once I got past the American accent, it was quite good.

Times move on and the Nikon now rarely sees the light of day, being superceded by a Lumic TZ90, which is so easy to use, even I can do it without instructions.....well, take pics, anyway. it does all sorts of clever stuff I haven't needed to use yet, mind, like focus stacking.

• Informative/Useful 1

best way to read any manual, is the same method as reading academic papers, use the 3 step system

1. Read main title/abstract to make sure its what you are looking for

2. Read the bold headings etc, just to learn what can be done, but not how. and if something is intresting read it then, or if don't understand  google keywords. i think of this like finding out what tools are in the tool box, not how to use them. but you know what can be done with it

3. When needed (aka i know it can do X) read relevent section to find how. as now its relevent its more likely to be remebered

dont read whole manual like you are revising for exam, you only need to know what it can do, not how.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, great northern said:

Many thanks. Why is it though that there is an assumption that these things will be understood? It's the same with these smartphone thingies. I purchased a paper manual, as I couldn't understand the thing at all, but it assumes a level of prior knowledge which I don't have, so I'm no better off. I did manage to set the alarm yesterday though.

'twas the same before the upgrade....

Stewart

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, stewartingram said:

'twas the same before the upgrade....

Stewart

But I didn't know that then either Stewart. I don't like clicking on things if I don't know what will happen, in case I do something which fouls the whole job up.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Some local railwayman was saying to me recently that they used to call the 02s straight eights. Did you ever hear that term G?

Haven't heard that, Phil, but I believe some sheds did have their own local descriptions, no doubt in some cases rather more colourful than those we have been told about. Hope you're feeling a bit better? Is it the sudden hot weather that is upsetting things?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Right, I've made a start on the sequence alterations. This turns out to need the co-operation of PC and tablet, and frequent references to no less than eight different sources of information. I have already discovered that it will be necessary to do this in small doses. Took me over an hour to get to move 26, and now my brain hurts, so I'll have a rest, and then go and play with my trains.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5