Peterborough North

great northern

6 hours ago, great northern said:

Right, I've made a start on the sequence alterations. This turns out to need the co-operation of PC and tablet, and frequent references to no less than eight different sources of information. I have already discovered that it will be necessary to do this in small doses. Took me over an hour to get to move 26, and now my brain hurts, so I'll have a rest, and then go and play with my trains.

It's all good fun though and most interesting looking through reference material.

Don't think I've had my head out of the couple of new books I've bought trying to find as much info as I can on Huntingdon North.

Not spoken to TW yet so not been directed back to the correct path.

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, geoff west said:

It's all good fun though and most interesting looking through reference material.

Don't think I've had my head out of the couple of new books I've bought trying to find as much info as I can on Huntingdon North.

Not spoken to TW yet so not been directed back to the correct path.

Finding something really interesting is a very good start Geoff. You would have to make quite a lot of compromises, and that's what TW won't approve of, but it has to be all about what you want, and will satisfy your wishes. At least it isn't far off dead straight, and you have the bridge at the North end as a perfect scenic break. Has your research yet come up with the length of the Up platform? I'm sure I've read that it would only hold seven coaches, which would be a great help.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, great northern said:

While I'm here I can report that I got forty moves into the sequence today, despite the PC's attempts to frustrate me. My slides have white letters on a blue background, so why does the ****** thing occasionally do letters in black, and then refuse to let me change them to white? It will be a longish job, and I've realised that I should not try to do everything in one go. The loco duties must wait until I've done all the trains.

Why I took the picture below I do not know, but there may be someone out there who can get excited over a few mineral wagons.

1469659518_9wagons.JPG.94c248cbdbc66b880c4c5171cedbdb90.JPG

:read:   :yahoo::locomotive::locomotive::locomotive:

Can't think who would.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening G. No, I am actually enjoying the sun for a change. Knackered leg/knee and some sort of gurgling gut over the last week. Managed a couple of hours at York today but it was an expensive trip just to buy some glue, wire and a book and to have a decent pint of Scrumpy in the Tap. 

Speak soon.

P

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Evening G. No, I am actually enjoying the sun for a change. Knackered leg/knee and some sort of gurgling gut over the last week. Managed a couple of hours at York today but it was an expensive trip just to buy some glue, wire and a book and to have a decent pint of Scrumpy in the Tap. 

Speak soon.

P

Ah, the gurgling gut. My sympathies, I am well used to that.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 22/04/2019 at 19:15, great northern said:

Finding something really interesting is a very good start Geoff. You would have to make quite a lot of compromises, and that's what TW won't approve of, but it has to be all about what you want, and will satisfy your wishes. At least it isn't far off dead straight, and you have the bridge at the North end as a perfect scenic break. Has your research yet come up with the length of the Up platform? I'm sure I've read that it would only hold seven coaches, which would be a great help.

Another couple of books arrived today Gilbert, and I have spent an enjoyable evening having a quick browse through them.

I agree as we said there would need to be quite a few compromises but ones I think I can live with.

I believe the platform could only hold six coaches, which would be interesting as most of the stoppers it would seem were longer, I've only found one that was only four coaches, the 05.50 Kings X - Grantham. I'm sure my research will turn up some more interesting stuff.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, geoff west said:

Another couple of books arrived today Gilbert, and I have spent an enjoyable evening having a quick browse through them.

I agree as we said there would need to be quite a few compromises but ones I think I can live with.

I believe the platform could only hold six coaches, which would be interesting as most of the stoppers it would seem were longer, I've only found one that was only four coaches, the 05.50 Kings X - Grantham. I'm sure my research will turn up some more interesting stuff.

In the days of diesel loco hauled passenger trains, the King's Cross-Peterborough stopping trains had labels in the windows of certain coaches advising passengers for certain stations not to travel in them due to short platforms.  I can't remember which stations but quite possibly Huntingdon was one of them.  Also, it was not unknown for long trains to be 'drawn up' by hand signals to accommodate the rear coaches at the platform after station work had been competed in the front ones - I think Huntingdon was a place where I've seen this done.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, geoff west said:

I reemember catching the Grimsby express which stopped there when going to London with my aunt, and the train definitely had to draw up when on the  way there. Seven would be the maximum I think, and the E.lincs trains had eleven on. Most of your stoppers though would be five sets, perhaps with a single strengthener, or more likely a BG on the end. There are plenty of photos of them to be found.

Geoff

My memories from the late fifties/early sixties are of trains either drawing up or the front of the train stopping well beyond the end of the platform at Huntington. My recollection is that this applied to down trains, and the front of the train was beyond a bridge, but I may be mistaken.

Lloyd

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 22/04/2019 at 09:52, Mallard60022 said:

Some local railwayman was saying to me recently that they used to call the 02s straight eights. Did you ever hear that term G?

Just taking a guess at that one but the eight coupled O2/3’s with their “luxurious “ cabs were first being built in the 30’s at the same time as the then state of the art luxury cars, the Napier-Railton “straight eights” were being built, so that’s the kind of thing engine men latched onto in the era when cars of any kind were for toffs and locos with full cabs were s till something of a luxury .

Just a thought.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

That ####### Duck gets the blame for everything, including the decline in the use of rail joiners and the over indulgences of the members of the European Parliament's Cleaners. Give him some slack.

Oh yes, Jazzer, great theory about the Straight Eight.

Philth 

• Funny 2

On my trip up to York at the Easter weekend for the railway show I was on the Peterborough platforms for the first time in probably a decade. I snapped some pics. Would you be interested in me posting them here Gilbert? Then you may be able to do some 1958 comparisons.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

On my trip up to York at the Easter weekend for the railway show I was on the Peterborough platforms for the first time in probably a decade. I snapped some pics. Would you be interested in me posting them here Gilbert? Then you may be able to do some 1958 comparisons.

By all means Martin. I'll see what I can do, though there is very little left so some imagination will be needed.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

That ####### Duck gets the blame for everything, including the decline in the use of rail joiners and the over indulgences of the members of the European Parliament's Cleaners. Give him some slack.

Oh yes, Jazzer, great theory about the Straight Eight.

Philth 

Sorry your Drakeness if you read it that way. I found your suggestion very helpful and I am about to PM Mr B and yourself regarding a joint visit to the ranch.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Sorry your Drakeness if you read it that way. I found your suggestion very helpful and I am about to PM Mr B and yourself regarding a joint visit to the ranch.

Nah, I was taking the urine matey. 

Duck.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have only one problem. I've googled woad, and found that it isn't available any more. I don't want to stick out like a sore whatsit, so what do I do?

Phil, you can do your sleeping in the car as I drive you to the ends of the earth.