Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

it is not a good idea to take photos against strong light, even with a lens hood, and an even worse idea when the subject is itself very dark. So, why did I take yet another?

Because it smacks of realism - that's why.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 09/05/2019 at 10:51, great northern said:

I think the damp seeped into my bones yesterday, as I have woken up stiff as a board. This could be another excuse for doing very little today. We shall see.

I had assumed that Platform 5 would never be used for passenger trains, because it was so short, but looking at a photo recently I saw that there was still a sign pointing to it, so I presume it must have had occasional use. For that reason, the 1205 diesel to Skegness, which has been throbbing away further down the platform, has just pulled forward to take on passengers, rather than backing and filling to get into Platform 4,

2096167371_4DMU.JPG.04acd76d3052aa91b8c203642f799c53.JPG

No sitting at the front this time, even though the driver hasn't put the blinds down. Not for lower class oiks, anyway.

The DMU will be preceded by fish empties for New Clee, which appear from the south.

1359957417_5fish1.JPG.866a6c77f86dee7f98114306844efb88.JPG

This is the first of a series of pictures taken with the lens hood on the camera, so there will be a succession of higher level views.

Hi Gilbert 

The B1 Photo truly gives a superb panoramic angle across your layout.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert - the photos on this thread are quite amazing - even allowing for Photoshop, and they reflect not only the quality of your modelling, but also what can be achieved by modern technology.  There's only a couple of layouts here which I follow regularly, yours and Waverley West - different eras, but both ECML, and both show what can be achieved with modern resources and a lot of effort.

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A frustrating day. My meeting turned out to be a cleverly concealed sales pitch, so we walked out, a complete waste of two and a half hours. Golf this afternoon was back to 450 yards to hit two shots, and four more to get the ****** ball another twenty yards and into the hole.

PN is far less frustrating, even when things fall off, which did not happen as the 1000 Up Leeds ran through. This was the return working of the KX A4 which took the previous evenings Yorkshire Pullman, but this one is not up to usual Top Shed standards, as it hasn't had the Tim treatment yet.

2091131111_7321.JPG.4969f3fb7441ca385bb9a46513467a79.JPG

834966175_8322.JPG.a7093632bd39c5bd91109ba0da5b7c4c.JPG

• Like 19

1 minute ago, great northern said:

A frustrating day. My meeting turned out to be a cleverly concealed sales pitch, so we walked out, a complete waste of two and a half hours. Golf this afternoon was back to 450 yards to hit two shots, and four more to get the ****** ball another twenty yards and into the hole.

PN is far less frustrating, even when things fall off, which did not happen as the 1000 Up Leeds ran through. This was the return working of the KX A4 which took the previous evenings Yorkshire Pullman, but this one is not up to usual Top Shed standards, as it hasn't had the Tim treatment yet.

2091131111_7321.JPG.4969f3fb7441ca385bb9a46513467a79.JPG

834966175_8322.JPG.a7093632bd39c5bd91109ba0da5b7c4c.JPG

Is Gannet to be Timmed?

4 hours ago, great northern said:

The B12 starts off towards home with the 1237 Cambridge.

1898267114_11576leaving.JPG.6c10472ba74cd5b6d212f4a8fe8a2280.JPG

Then it is time for one of three Pullmans in quick succession. Well turned out  KX top link A1 Great Eastern brings the Up Tees-Tyne towards the station.

1123361429_21571.JPG.1ce788548d8c936f76f70e1de93bc3a3.JPG

Believe it or not, I had three or four goes at getting that lamp straight.

Just a thought if I may?

As a 31A loco, would it be more appropriate for it to be carrying discs rather than lamps?

Stewart

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Just a thought if I may?

As a 31A loco, would it be more appropriate for it to be carrying discs rather than lamps?

Stewart

Good point Stewart. The problem is that I then have to make them, and fit them, which is even more difficult these days. I may have a go though.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, great northern said:

I did shop this, but as you can see, did not notice all the mess in the sky. Normally, I wouldn't be able to put up with this, but yesterday I wasn't prepared to go back and put it right. Put it down to cheap 1950s camera or film.

Looks like flocks of starlings to me!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

23 minutes ago, 31A said:

Looks like flocks of starlings to me!

Exactly what I thought :D

I've been browsing for a while now looking at this amazing layout.

Spent a lot of time going through the thread, not every page as I would still be back in 2015... 

The quality of this layout, everything about it, is just fantastic. 

Gilbert, my congratulations to you and all the other talented folks who have worked on this. And your photos are absolutely brilliant, there were times when I was looking through the thread when I did a double take to see if it really was the model!! And I really mean that.

Going through the thread like I have done I can see how you've improved as a photographer, not that you were that bad to start with, and I can only sincerely say how impressed I am.

I'm very much an armchair modeller at the moment so enjoy looking at other people's achievments and understanding how they got there.

Great stuff and keep the photos coming but also most importantly make sure you keep enjoying the layout and spending time doing what you want to do on it.

Phil

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil147 said:

Exactly what I thought :D

I've been browsing for a while now looking at this amazing layout.

Spent a lot of time going through the thread, not every page as I would still be back in 2015... 

The quality of this layout, everything about it, is just fantastic. 

Gilbert, my congratulations to you and all the other talented folks who have worked on this. And your photos are absolutely brilliant, there were times when I was looking through the thread when I did a double take to see if it really was the model!! And I really mean that.

Going through the thread like I have done I can see how you've improved as a photographer, not that you were that bad to start with, and I can only sincerely say how impressed I am.

I'm very much an armchair modeller at the moment so enjoy looking at other people's achievments and understanding how they got there.

Great stuff and keep the photos coming but also most importantly make sure you keep enjoying the layout and spending time doing what you want to do on it.

Phil

There are days when I'm a bit down, and need something to lift my spirits. Your kind and generous words have done that for me, and I am very grateful. That was a real boost, just when needed.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, calvin Streeting said:

do you manualy remove background. ? as wonder if one of those moder 2 lens cameras would do it automaticaly :) 

I'll try to find out. That would be brilliant if it is possible. I do it all manually, and it can be very time consuming and sometimes very difficult and frustrating.