Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

There  murmurationing I believe. Or should that be Infuriating.  :crazy:

Golf is only a Game ? The legendary Bill Shankly said of Football "it's not just a game it's more important than life itself.:hunter:

No, he didn't.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

No, he didn't.

OK he actually said  "'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".'

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

OK he actually said  "'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".'

He was so very wrong, the matter that is far, far more important than football is finding an automatic coupling/uncoupling system that works on your model railway. Empires have risen and fallen over this greatest of philosophical and mechanical challenges.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Accurate quote but not put in context. He was answering what he, rightly, considered to be a silly question from a journalist. He did not really mean it. Scottish humour can be a bit "special".

• Thanks 1

On 16/05/2019 at 08:06, stewartingram said:

Just a thought if I may?

As a 31A loco, would it be more appropriate for it to be carrying discs rather than lamps?

Stewart

I have only heard this anecdotally , so I can’t say 100% , and please correct me if anyone knows better , butmy understanding is that regulations relating to headcode discs only applied to the Eastern section, and then probably trains coming to the London area.

Its seems probable to me though, because there is plenty of photo graphic evidence of trains on the MGN lines , carrying lamps rather than discs, and they would have come through Peterborough. Also the LTSR section, which by 1958 came under the Eastern region always used lamps.

I am only summising but it seems that discs were introduced primarily for route indication on the busy lines out of Liverpool St where coloured as well as plain discs were used to identify route of suburban trains  but they don’t seem to be used as much North of Cambridge , except on the Norwich line.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert

just spent a very pleasant hour or so catching up on your thread.  So much to enjoy, A1s, B17s, N5s, C12s, D16s, Dub Ds and many others, all in such a superb setting.  

Thanks so so much for your continued posting of inspirational modelling, it’s helping me to keep pushing on with my own feeble efforts.

And sorry for being so quiet of late, work has been intense over the last 6 months or so that I haven’t had much time for anything, though there are a couple of J6s that are nearly ready for the paint shop, so not all has been at a standstill.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Having read the lamp/disc posts, I decided to look at some prototype pictures and see what they show. I found two, one an Ivatt 2 on its way down to East. That had a Class B lamp. I'm pretty sure though that it was a GE bound train, as it had come out of Platform 6, and it was a Cambridge engine.

However, I then found the image below, which is shown by kind permission of the copyright holder, A C Ingram. Here we have a B2, again a Cambridge engine. It is either on its way to Spital Bridge shed after working into East, or heading from Spital Bridge to East. This is a bit puzzling. The loco shows one disc, and one lamp. Put together, that should mean a Class H goods. If so, it has lost the wagons somewhere. It doesn't answer the query one way or the other, but it is certainly somewhat unusual.

img20190519_20325208.jpg.12f22eb62d78b675885a813d8f6b0b7b.jpg

All suggestions gratefully received.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

61616 seems to be in forward gear, but I wondered whether the lamp might be the tail lamp for a light engine move, but they didn't bother to take the disc off?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, great northern said:

Having read the lamp/disc posts, I decided to look at some prototype pictures and see what they show. I found two, one an Ivatt 2 on its way down to East. That had a Class B lamp. I'm pretty sure though that it was a GE bound train, as it had come out of Platform 6, and it was a Cambridge engine.

However, I then found the image below, which is shown by kind permission of the copyright holder, A C Ingram. Here we have a B2, again a Cambridge engine. It is either on its way to Spital Bridge shed after working into East, or heading from Spital Bridge to East. This is a bit puzzling. The loco shows one disc, and one lamp. Put together, that should mean a Class H goods. If so, it has lost the wagons somewhere. It doesn't answer the query one way or the other, but it is certainly somewhat unusual.

If you Google “Headcodes Part 2 - Great Eastern Society “ it should take you to relevant section of the GERS website which is probably as close as you’ll get to finding an answer at this distance of time.  I can’t get my head round it all , but trying to make sense as best I can I would say you won’t be far wrong if you keep lamps on GER engines through PN, but it’s difficult to pin it down to a definitive answer. 

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, great northern said:

Could it be that the loco is working light engine to East, hence the lower middle lamp? The disc could have been either left on from a previous working, or more likely I think, put on ready for a working from East to (Cambridge?). Not what would be the rule I know, but I think the upper disc is a tad more difficult to fit, also some drivers (I know from personal experience) "hung on" to the discs as personal property, and wouldn't want to lose them. It is but a short journey from North to East.

Stewart

• Like 3

On 15/05/2019 at 22:16, great northern said:

There's a train to Cambridge due to leave shortly, which means a GE engine is likely to be seen. The pilot brought the stock in, and the loco is backing on.

2003698597_31576.JPG.d19678f1adc2f3bf8c4fbf948e027857.JPG

We do indeed have one of Cambridge shed's sadly diminishing number of B12s, so let's enjoy it while we can.

We enjoy A3s too, but mot so much when they have been allowed to get into this sad external condition. Gladiateur sets off for home with the Glasgow.

1951848251_470.JPG.7d8f4454d73d67931f7a7b367f4954b7.JPG

Good evening Gilbert,

I don't normally make locomotives which derail, but it looks like that's what's happened to the second axle of the B12's bogie. How? 

It's back on in the next picture of it!

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, 31A said:

61616 seems to be in forward gear, but I wondered whether the lamp might be the tail lamp for a light engine move, but they didn't bother to take the disc off?

Probably Steve. I think that we all try to get everything as it should have been, but forget that professionals will always find short cuts, and agree to ignore minor infractions if they save a bit of time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1