Peterborough North

great northern

55 minutes ago, great northern said:

Here is our last image, but I do intend to get on with some more today. The V2 is seen just a little further on its way to London.

836989197_59662.JPG.6c212c2a45fff367f5b9f38beab9d41c.JPG

Is it a kit?

• RMweb Gold

That V2 is certainly very nice, makes me want to smack Bachman over the head and say where’s the updated body you promised us so long ago.

I have a Finney one to build, but it looks like a very complex kit which gives me the shivers every time I look at it.

cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, trw1089 said:

That V2 is certainly very nice, makes me want to smack Bachman over the head and say where’s the updated body you promised us so long ago.

I have a Finney one to build, but it looks like a very complex kit which gives me the shivers every time I look at it.

cheers

Tony

Here is your chance to become a hero to lots of people Tony. You make a start on that kit, and Bachmann are sure to announce that theirs will be ready within three months.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
On 22/05/2019 at 20:09, thegreenhowards said:

Gilbert,

You know I love pictures of your coaching stock. It’s particularly good to see the Thompson RK as I’m just trying to work out what I need to put underneath my nearly completed version in the way of battery boxes etc... is there any chance you could provide a picture of the coach ‘belly up’ to give me a good view of the underfloor arrangement? I know that if Tony is following he would say that I shouldn’t copy another model, but pictures of the real thing are almost as rare as hen’s teeth!

All the best,

Andy

I finally got round to it Andy. Not very good picture, I'm afraid as it had to be done hand held, and with a long exposure. I think you should be able to see enough though.

I bought this many years ago, and don't know its provenance, so I can't guarantee that it is "right".

1116755580_RKunderframe.JPG.b0ff016daa37d07ab9ae08f4402c3433.JPG

V2 will we ever see it?

3 hours ago, great northern said:

Here is your chance to become a hero to lots of people Tony. You make a start on that kit, and Bachmann are sure to announce that theirs will be ready within three months.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, davidw said:

V2 will we ever see it?

Eventually, I think, David. They only have the body to do really, and I'm sure they don't want Hornby to snaffle it. There may also be an element of trying to get rid of existing stock first. Next year at the earliest though, I'm afraid.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Eventually, I think, David. They only have the body to do really, and I'm sure they don't want Hornby to snaffle it. There may also be an element of trying to get rid of existing stock first. Next year at the earliest though, I'm afraid.

I'm sure your right  - ideally I'd like several  - but I'll also wait for  discounting

Edited by davidw

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, davidw said:

I'm sure your right  - ideally I'd like several  - but I'll also wait for  discounting

I need loads, so I already have four on pre order. It has occurred to me that I'm nearly half way through my seventies, so why am I so paranoid about saving money?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, great northern said:

I finally got round to it Andy. Not very good picture, I'm afraid as it had to be done hand held, and with a long exposure. I think you should be able to see enough though.

I bought this many years ago, and don't know its provenance, so I can't guarantee that it is "right".

1116755580_RKunderframe.JPG.b0ff016daa37d07ab9ae08f4402c3433.JPG

Many thanks Gilbert,

That gives me a useful layout to work on. It looks like the standard Bachmann underframe, but with extra battery boxes and possibly beefed up dynamos? 

I also spent some time chatting to Andrew at Isinglass about it yesterday at Railex. Unfortunately his drawing doesn’t really show what those extra battery boxes look like - just a square box. It shows the two extra boxes on one side, but not the one extra on the other side.

Anyway, I suspect I’ve got as much data as I’m going to get now, so no excuse not to crack on!

Regards

Andy

• Like 1

On 22/05/2019 at 20:09, thegreenhowards said:

Gilbert,

You know I love pictures of your coaching stock. It’s particularly good to see the Thompson RK as I’m just trying to work out what I need to put underneath my nearly completed version in the way of battery boxes etc... is there any chance you could provide a picture of the coach ‘belly up’ to give me a good view of the underfloor arrangement? I know that if Tony is following he would say that I shouldn’t copy another model, but pictures of the real thing are almost as rare as hen’s teeth!

All the best,

Andy

I don't know if this is any help, Andy, 

Though I'd certainly not advocate building a 'model of a model'. 

1906240733_ThompsonKitchenCar.jpg.4e49a2684ce44ca6ffb354702b0f8ee8.jpg

It's an original Bachmann Thompson used as a donor, with Southern Pride sides, heavy-duty bogies and the roof altered considerably. 

I've an idea there should be a further, smaller battery box to the left, but photographic evidence is elusive to say the least. 

If nothing else, it shows my 'sketch-book' approach to making models, especially something like this which runs in a 12-car formation. 

As an addition, the Pro-Scale V2 mentioned recently in these pages was built by Alan Hammett and, as Gilbert said, ran on Stoke Summit and Charwelton as Tony Geary's property. I 'fiddled' with it once or twice to ensure that it ran around tighter curves when Gilbert bought it off Tony, and tested it thoroughly on LB after changing the motor to ensure it was DCC-capable. 

1596489582_ProscaleV201.jpg.f2829efde3efb30ad847a0ee6ddd837b.jpg

Tony Geary weathered it. I think Tim Easter changed its identity. 

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 17

11 hours ago, great northern said:

Next we have another V2 to look at, but being a KX engine, it is considerably better turned out.

558245973_7854.JPG.ba0f0acb956fabccbf63b3a7b27c514a.JPG

There is a lot of clutter to avoid when taking pictures from this angle, and this time the photographer was not entirely successful.

No such problems with the next one though.

1626925016_88542.JPG.75844cb74b773b5f31ede9e497f94317.JPG

Off to see our golf professional to find out why I am so cr*p at it.

I don’t about golf but when I look at these pictures of PN I think I need to see someone to find out why I am so cr*p   at modelling ! ! !

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jazzer said:

I don’t about golf but when I look at these pictures of PN I think I need to see someone to find out why I am so cr*p   at modelling ! ! !

Don't be too hard on yourself. Some top modellers have been responsible for what I am so lucky to own. I'm not one of them, but at least it was my idea!

• Like 5

G'Day Folks

Seeing you can't turn the O2 at Tempsford, shouldn't it be working tender first, or am I getting it mixed up with the Little Barford Power station coal train ???

manna

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Seeing you can't turn the O2 at Tempsford, shouldn't it be working tender first, or am I getting it mixed up with the Little Barford Power station coal train ???

manna

They are the same thing I believe.

At that time, Little Barford Power Station sidings were only accessible from the Down Slow so the coal train from the north ran past Little Barford on the Up line as far as Tempsford where it reversed and served the power station on its return towards Peterborough.  But yes, there was nowhere to turn the loco.

When the GN Main Line was re-signalled in the 1970s, the Down Slow became reversible between St. Neots and the power station sidings, so that trains could run 'wrong road' from St. Neots and run straight into the sidings.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, 31A said:

They are the same thing I believe.

At that time, Little Barford Power Station sidings were only accessible from the Down Slow so the coal train from the north ran past Little Barford on the Up line as far as Tempsford where it reversed and served the power station on its return towards Peterborough.  But yes, there was nowhere to turn the loco.

When the GN Main Line was re-signalled in the 1970s, the Down Slow became reversible between St. Neots and the power station sidings, so that trains could run 'wrong road' from St. Neots and run straight into the sidings.

I'm sure you are right Steve. I have two trains listed in my WTT, though one is shown as suspended. I have, it seems, got confused (again), and failed to realise that I'm running one too many, and incorrectly anyway.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

manna

It's me that's getting mixed up. I assumed that this was another working to get rid of empties from around London, and I knew from Peter Coster's writings that a loco would be sent up from Hornsey to make up a train and then work it to New England. That certainly happened at New Southgate, but of course Tempsford is quite a bit further North, and when I check the WTT again it conforms it is the Little Barford working. I just can't yet fathom why I have two separate trains in the sequence.

• Friendly/supportive 4