Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, davidw said:

Hi Gilbert, I've just received 'Lasy years of the Eastern Region' as an early birthday present. Cracking photos and lots of photographic  evidence the King's Cross locos were not always clean.

Could you post the ISBN please David? I'm not sure which one you are referring to. Is it a new book, and if so, who publishes it?

9 hours ago, great northern said:

Could you post the ISBN please David? I'm not sure which one you are referring to. Is it a new book, and if so, who publishes it?

Good morning Gilbert,

The book David West mentions, The Last Years of Steam on the Eastern Region by Paul Leavens & SVMRC, Book Law. ISBN: 9 781909 625952, is well worth obtaining because of the standard of the photographs and reproduction. In those regards, I've not seen better. For model-makers following latter day BR ER (mainly ECML) practice, it is a must.

However, as with so many more-recent books, 'beware' of the captions. (By the way, the shot on page 16 shows Deltic carrying lamps, and all its buffer beam gubbins). 

For instance. On page 4 the prototype Deltic is on the Up side at Doncaster, not the Down. On page 10, the articulated pair of cars behind 60144 (again at Doncaster) is definitely NOT from the pre-War 'Coronation', but a much more humble duo - a Tourist twin TO/TO. At the top of page 21 no mention is made that MERLIN is, in fact, on the Down Saturday 'Elizabethan' passing through Doncaster - note the extra cars at the north end in the consist. Incorrectly, the headboard is carried (not unusual). On page 31, 44576 is on a stopping passenger train at Sheffield, not empty stock (note the lamp). In the sequence of pictures at Retford (which also shows Deltic with lamps), the author (having noted a '10 mph' speed restriction) assumes that was for the main line over the flat crossing (it actually refers to the Up GN/GC link), when, in fact, the restriction was 65 mph. As he states 'appearances can be deceptive'.  As a native of Lincoln, you'll know your Up from your Down at Central. A shame the author didn't ask you! On page 96, an A3 is mistaken for an A1! And so on...................

The views at Peterborough will be of great interest to you. Are you contemplating making the point rodding?! There's a great shot of an EE Type 4, with discs. 

All the above said, as alluded to, I recommend anyone interested in actual ER prototype modelling (especially the make-up of trains on the ECML) to acquire this book. Rejoice in the pictures, but ignore a lot of the captions!

Regards,

Tony.   

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Where is the promised monsoon? Yellow warnings all over the place, and not a drop of rain in sight. 

Hi 

Its definitely raining in Lincolnshire though I wouldn't call it a monsoon.

Data from the weather station in my back garden.

Cheers

Paul

Weather.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, davidw said:

Hi Gilbert, I've just received 'Last years of Steam on the Eastern Region' as an early birthday present. Cracking photos and lots of photographic  evidence the King's Cross locos were not always clean.

Hi David 

Does the book in question have a front cover with two A4’s standing outside what looks like Kings Cross MPD?

And does it also have a soft back cover as well.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Yes it is 

39 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi David 

Does the book in question have a front cover with two A4’s standing outside what looks like Kings Cross MPD?

And does it also have a soft back cover as well.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

A particularly successful under-the-roof shot, that one, Gilbert. 

I agree Ian, but I don't really know why, as I took it just like all the others. Perhaps the light was just right at the time I pressed the shutter.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Truly awful this morning, pouring down, and feels like February outside. Good old England.

We have a photo of a Leicester Midland based Standard 4 on its way there having taken over the Ely-Birmingham.

1564671119_65060.JPG.0819cfe52e4edfa47bfb737e6183eb33.JPG

I'm having to ration things at present, as there has been no light for photography the last couple of days, and I'm supposed to be golfing tomorrow and Thursday. That seems increasingly unlikely at the moment though.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Gilbert,

I trust the Wet Suit isn't wet any longer,but a Rowing boat may be a better option.

Hose pipe bans to be announced next week ?

Regards,Derek.

The wet suit is very wet Derek, as I have just been out shopping, and it is coming down very hard indeed. My pond is starting to become part of the patio, so I may soon need the rowing boat to access the rest of the garden. Hose pipe ban next week? No, you're exaggerating there. It'll be at least a fortnight.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

If it's any consolation, I am 350 miles south of you, and while we've had less rain, it is very damp and chilly. Mind you, it got a bit warm in the adjacent village (3 km away) last night when the local factory burnt down. 600 jobs are now at risk.

• Friendly/supportive 4

13 hours ago, great northern said:

We have one more look at the Flying Scotsman and Woolwinder.

1939544905_4553.JPG.a5c80c373403e99e984542969387d84f.JPG

The weathering on Woolwinder, is I think, the finest work Tim has done. He has made the engine look both dirty and clean at the same time, with a soot and ash coating on the upper boiler yet an oily sheen along its lower half. A wiped-clean cab and tender side yet track dust and dirt coating the area just above footplate height. The wheels and motion are an overall drab, with none of the "artsy" highlights so many other modellers, myself included, would be tempted to add. Simply superb work.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Agree 6

4 hours ago, great northern said:

Truly awful this morning, pouring down, and feels like February outside. Good old England.

We have a photo of a Leicester Midland based Standard 4 on its way there having taken over the Ely-Birmingham.

1564671119_65060.JPG.0819cfe52e4edfa47bfb737e6183eb33.JPG

I'm having to ration things at present, as there has been no light for photography the last couple of days, and I'm supposed to be golfing tomorrow and Thursday. That seems increasingly unlikely at the moment though.

I've never before seen a standard 4 fitted with condensing apparatus! Such an unusual design too - must have been tight through the tunnels...

Stewart

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

The weathering on Woolwinder, is I think, the finest work Tim has done. He has made the engine look both dirty and clean at the same time, with a soot and ash coating on the upper boiler yet an oily sheen along its lower half. A wiped-clean cab and tender side yet track dust and dirt coating the area just above footplate height. The wheels and motion are an overall drab, with none of the "artsy" highlights so many other modellers, myself included, would be tempted to add. Simply superb work.

Do you know, Martin, I nearly made a comment like that myself when I looked at it closely. Yes, if not the finest Tim has done, it is right up there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I've never before seen a standard 4 fitted with condensing apparatus! Such an unusual design too - must have been tight through the tunnels...

Stewart

Oooh, you are awful:jester: I spent quite a while composing this, and it was the least worst I could come up with. There is so much clutter at this end that avoiding one problem just brings in another. That water crane actually does need cutting down somewhat, but it will still intrude after that has been done.

• Friendly/supportive 3