Peterborough North

great northern

On 15/07/2019 at 13:31, Martin S-C said:

The reflection in the oily paintwork of the tender in that first pic is really nice. Reflections like that are very rarely seen in model form.

Superb isn’t it ? So typical looking that someone has given the tender and cabsides  a quick rub with a drop of paraffin and an oily rag to get it half decent then gone to another job before doing the rest of the loco. Something frequently seen in the era. 

Strange too, that Thompson made such a hash of the Pacifics and his L1 and yet produced such a cracking all-rounder in the B1. Super picture . 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, great northern said:

Another Grimsby local arrives.

1773690752_41023.JPG.d0534632f20597e23151b9d49f262976.JPG

and yet another Grantham A3 comes into view with the 6.35 Down Hull.

391814104_51111.JPG.04750b887b7a140679dcbd47b1b12e12.JPG

I really do think that background has potential. It does need to be smaller, but that shouldn't be a problem. What is a problem though is that it looks ridiculous as a background to a colour image, and, apart from having two paintings done, I can't think of a way to solve that.

Gilbert,

I was at Ranby with John Houlden working on Gamston Bank when a retired art teacher of my aquaintance painted a length of backscene in next to no time. When I complimented him on his skill and speed he responded with "You could easily do that". He has never seen my attempts at painting I hasten to add and for once he was very wrong. If you knew somebody like this chap ,who knows what might be possible. 

Regards,Ann on a Mouse of Grantham 

PS:-    Sorry but I can't spell  Anonymous

Edited by CUTLER2579
Added a PS.
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I think I've shown this photo before, but it is a lovely shot, and does give more detail of what should be in my background scene. Photo is copyright of Andrew C Ingram, and not to be further reproduced, please.

img20190716_16314641.jpg.81d4cf02c72e94046f0ebed44d7c4fe6.jpg

Can someone clever please explain why the ramp feeding coal to the power station in the left background is configured in this way? I think I also need some very tall brickworks chimneya.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, great northern said:

I think I've shown this photo before, but it is a lovely shot, and does give more detail of what should be in my background scene. Photo is copyright of Andrew C Ingram, and not to be further reproduced, please.

img20190716_16314641.jpg.81d4cf02c72e94046f0ebed44d7c4fe6.jpg

Can someone clever please explain why the ramp feeding coal to the power station in the left background is configured in this way?

I would guess one inclined conveyor belt, feeding a second one, feeding a horizontal belt.

Again, I'd guess that there is a maximum length of inclined conveyor belt, after which there is a danger of the coal falling back on itself.

.... on the other hand, this may be total b*ll*cks!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I would guess one inclined conveyor belt, feeding a second one, feeding a horizontal belt.

Again, I'd guess that there is a maximum length of inclined conveyor belt, after which there is a danger of the coal falling back on itself.

.... on the other hand, this may be total b*ll*cks!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I would have thought how much coal can be on the belt before the motor stops working!

First one, coming from the right, lifts coal into a chute which drops it onto second one. This one MAY be at an angle to the first, that was usually the reason to do as they have done.

Then onto the PS.  Probably on one belt, inclined,  then horizontal.

As for distance, Scunthorpe steelworks had one over two miles long, afaik, all one belt. It carried coke from the Lysaghts coking plant to the sinter plant and the four queens, the blast furnaces at Appleby-Frodingham ironworks.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, westerner said:

I thought golfers stopped playing when there was thunder and lightning around. Something to do with metal shafted clubs and umbrellas.

Indeed, Alan. Do I not recall a Tottenham Hotspur player in the '60s who lost his life on the golf course?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, westerner said:

I thought golfers stopped playing when there was thunder and lightning around. Something to do with metal shafted clubs and umbrellas.

We do Alan. The rules are now very strict. At the first sign of electrical activity, klaxon sounds, and play is suspended till the all clear is given, which should not be until half an hour after the last thunder/lightning.

This time though we had just had heavy rain, no thunder or lightning at all, until that sudden strike, after which the klaxon sounded almost immediately. Nothing we could have done differently this time. Then of course you have the idiots who think rules don't apply to them, and start playing again as soon as they haven't heard any thunder for a couple of minutes. They never get hit though.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

This morning we have a Hitchin-Colwick mixed goods, bringing a sighting of a K3, which are rarely seen south of New England these days.

2070783252_619781.JPG.a7b6ec559b801e821ed529846174c056.JPG

Then we have some windows.

530666661_9windowsandvan.JPG.5641eca166eece73f864d3647fccf5f7.JPG

and a bit of a van.

That second one is a cracker.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I wish I was born during the steam age. Having said that, the trains I saw running in the early 1990s as a kid have mostly been consigned to the pages of history. 

Regards,

Nick.

• Friendly/supportive 2