Peterborough North

great northern

Gilbert, I know from databases and photographic records that the ECML had a good number of 9F's allocated to them and ex-lner 2-8-0's - I just wondered if they were used interchangably on the same workings?  

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, davidw said:

Gilbert, I know from databases and photographic records that the ECML had a good number of 9F's allocated to them and ex-lner 2-8-0's - I just wondered if they were used interchangably on the same workings?  

One of the slightly frustrating things about PN is that most of the LNER 2.8.0s ended their journeys that tantalising mile further North. Really I should be using almost exclusively WDs and 9Fs, which do seem to have been used interchangably by New England.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

I love the work stained B1 and the leading Gresley BSK(6). What are their provenances?

Andy

Next shots were going to be of the formation Andy, so I've brought them forward.

1957983311_8rake1.JPG.a3ad96adef34adb05a5b597803c9775c.JPG

1501319419_9rake2.JPG.5e6ad85f03f13764e90baac1879cb2a3.JPG

Four cars was the core formation, specified as two TSOs topped and tailed by BCKs. From what I've gathered though TSOs and SKs were used randomly, so I did that with this train.

The B1 is Timmed Hornby. That leading BCK says Hornby underneath, but I'm pretty sure it is one that Larry Goddard did as a conversion with proper sides. The rear BCK is definitely Lawrence/Goddard

• Like 17

15 minutes ago, great northern said:

One of the slightly frustrating things about PN is that most of the LNER 2.8.0s ended their journeys that tantalising mile further North. Really I should be using almost exclusively WDs and 9Fs, which do seem to have been used interchangably by New England.

Thanks  Gilbert - its your railway.... 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

Next shots were going to be of the formation Andy, so I've brought them forward.

1957983311_8rake1.JPG.a3ad96adef34adb05a5b597803c9775c.JPG

1501319419_9rake2.JPG.5e6ad85f03f13764e90baac1879cb2a3.JPG

Four cars was the core formation, specified as two TSOs topped and tailed by BCKs. From what I've gathered though TSOs and SKs were used randomly, so I did that with this train.

The B1 is Timmed Hornby. That leading BCK says Hornby underneath, but I'm pretty sure it is one that Larry Goddard did as a conversion with proper sides. The rear BCK is definitely Lawrence/Goddard

A nice rake, thanks for showing us. I couldn’t see the ‘1’s on the BCK in the first picture hence my confusing it for a BSK.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

Is it my eyesight or is that TSO/SO/SK second in the last photo, sagging in the middle? 

I bet he will say yes owing to the fat bald bloke in the center compartment.

It's the camera as usual Clive. It is a standard Bachmann MK1, and it hasn't even sagged in the heat, as the photo was taken a few days ago. Rest assured Clive, were you to travel in any of my trains, I would make sure you were in first class.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I love the pics, Gilbert.  Still not too sure on the Thompson A2s though.  They look very ungainly compared to the Gresley and Peppercorn pacifics.

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, 45156 said:

I love the pics, Gilbert.  Still not too sure on the Thompson A2s though.  They look very ungainly compared to the Gresley and Peppercorn pacifics.

That's because they were!  They have a definite presence, but aesthetically there is no contest. The same applies to performance, I'm afraid. That's why they were at New England, which was primarily a goods shed.

• Agree 1