Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, trw1089 said:

That last shot is a cracker!  I really do like that viewpoint, even though you have to go through contortions to get it (but noting that it is less contortionistic than before...)

It is much easier now Tony, except for the sqeeze along the baseboards, but when I get the camera the other side of the bridge, or up on top, seeing the viewfinder can be tricky. I'm trying to think of a way around that problem.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We are essentially loco-centric. So a loco in the foreground pleases us. Failing that, then shots of detail, odd corners of the layout - and certainly items of rolling stock - will all please. The distant Ivatt is none of those. It misses all those targets. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

It is much easier now Tony, except for the sqeeze along the baseboards, but when I get the camera the other side of the bridge, or up on top, seeing the viewfinder can be tricky. I'm trying to think of a way around that problem.

This has probably been suggested before and I can't remember what kind of camera you have but if it has a WiFi connection you can control it from another device.

I sometimes use a tablet to control my Canon Camera, this way you don't even have to be behind the camera, you use the tablet to set-up and take the shot with the added advantage that the camera veiwscreen is turned off so your battery lasts much longer.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

With that backscene view under the bridge G, could you put it on paper that actually starts on the baseboard top and then curves up into that scene, rather than the sheet just sitting at 90* onto the board?  Experiment with the 'amount of curve required'.

P

That sounds very interesting Phil, but when you are feeling better I may need some more instruction on what to do, and how to do it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, great northern said:

Periscope?

11 hours ago, great northern said:

Quick pictures before I go shopping. When I return, I'll have another look at the manual for my camera to see what it can or can't talk to, and ponder on the other kind suggestions. I have a free day, so I can go and give the layout a good looking at.

More experiments at the North end. Comments/criticisms welcome as always.

188997132_6ivatt2.JPG.ceef32980694d416940c8b9243d0fcfb.JPG

1399749603_7ivatt3.JPG.65573916921736f9dfaefab232155a28.JPG

That ladder needs sorting, I'm still thinking of an excuse for those scottish private owner wagons, and lattices are still a real pain to photoshop. Perhaps I could have remembered to put the lens hood on too.

Interesting views, Gilbert - as always.

Regarding ex-PO wagons, BRILL illustrated one some little time ago still in use as late as 1965. It had a 'P' prefix to its BR number, and the tattered original ownership was still apparent. Why not put an appropriate 'P' number in the bottom left-hand corners of the bodies of those wagons in view, and heavily-weather them? Even to the extent of painting-in replacement planks?

Criticisms? Constructive, I hope, but that obese NEM pocket underneath the Ivatt's bufferbeam ruins any illusion of reality. I think the pony is made of plastic, so a moment's work with the Xurons and it's gone! The remains disappear completely behind a screw shackle. 

43107.jpg.4c3b9ae41d08c331e5364158b52b832b.jpg

Do you remember this Bachmann 'Flying Pig'? It was once your property, ex-of our late, great friend, Dave Shakespeare. I plugged the gap in the buffer beam where a Kadee once protruded through, and made good with filler. I also snipped off the pocket and installed a screw shackle. It's really well worth doing, and doesn't take long. 

By the way, that old Airfix ex-LMS BSK behind the Ivatt has long-gone!

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Interesting views, Gilbert - as always.

Regarding ex-PO wagons, BRILL illustrated one some little time ago still in use as late as 1965. It had a 'P' prefix to its BR number, and the tattered original ownership was still apparent. Why not put an appropriate 'P' number in the bottom left-hand corners of the bodies of those wagons in view, and heavily-weather them? Even to the extent of painting-in replacement planks?

Criticisms? Constructive, I hope, but that obese NEM pocket underneath the Ivatt's bufferbeam ruins any illusion of reality. I think the pony is made of plastic, so a moment's work with the Xurons and it's gone! The remains disappear completely behind a screw shackle. 

43107.jpg.4c3b9ae41d08c331e5364158b52b832b.jpg

Do you remember this Bachmann 'Flying Pig'? It was once your property, ex-of our late, great friend, Dave Shakespeare. I plugged the gap in the buffer beam where a Kadee once protruded through, and made good with filler. I also snipped off the pocket and installed a screw shackle. It's really well worth doing, and doesn't take long. 

By the way, that old Airfix ex-LMS BSK behind the Ivatt has long-gone!

Regards,

Tony.  

The PO wagons were a gift from our friend Eric (Merlin) on one of his visits Tony, so  I would rather leave them as they came. They stayed in boxes for ages, but when the midland lines came into existence I used them there, but in places where they wouldn't appear on camera. Then, of course, I forgot.

Four Ivatts to be done, but as I have finally finished two small jobs today, they can creep a little further up the long list of things to be done. I do indeed remember that loco, and it is good to know that it is still earning a living with you, as are the ones I have.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/08/2019 at 22:57, great northern said:

This closer crop also shows that it is a bit too high still. If I take more off the bottom though, it doesn't look right at all. It may well need to be, literally, an artist's impression. The power station should be further to the left as well.IMG_1501.JPG.acca6cdb176a3662864e75392dba58f8.JPG

The backscene really does add to things Gilbert. In your efforts to get the best compromise, the book  ‘Creating a Backscene: A Railway Modelling Companion’ by Paul Bambrick is a very interesting read. There is a useful section on horizons and vanishing points which might be of particular interest.

10 hours ago, great northern said:

The PO wagons were a gift from our friend Eric (Merlin) on one of his visits Tony, so  I would rather leave them as they came. They stayed in boxes for ages, but when the midland lines came into existence I used them there, but in places where they wouldn't appear on camera. Then, of course, I forgot.

Four Ivatts to be done, but as I have finally finished two small jobs today, they can creep a little further up the long list of things to be done. I do indeed remember that loco, and it is good to know that it is still earning a living with you, as are the ones I have.

Good morning Gilbert,

Eric also gave me some RTR Scottish PO wagons.

I've altered them as described. He didn't seem to mind.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

The backscene really does add to things Gilbert. In your efforts to get the best compromise, the book  ‘Creating a Backscene: A Railway Modelling Companion’ by Paul Bambrick is a very interesting read. There is a useful section on horizons and vanishing points which might be of particular interest.

Many thanks Trevor, I will have a look for that, as it sounds like it may be just what I need.

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Just to show that I do occasionally get round to finishing something, here are two very nice brake vans. Purchased many months ago, underframe weathering done several months ago. main weathering started weeks ago, and finally completed two days ago. All that is needed now is the obligatory rear lamps. I have loads of those, so it is just a matter of remembering where I put them.

1874863227_1toads.JPG.846ceab0e79bff40e3d79e0312c036d7.JPG

On the RH model - could the weathering of the number be trying to disguise something?

I ask this as a supplier of model railway transfers.

Tut - tut!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

On the RH model - could the weathering of the number be trying to disguise something?

Tut - tut!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Love it John and as a satisfied customer may I say that those items tut tut are indeed excellent.

Now then G (and Co.), on another thread there is some chat about 'new' Hornby Gresleys (Teak). Presumably the Buffet is still incorrect?

Looks like they will be about £50 a pop; arghhh. Glad I have loads of ancient coaches from a variety of sources, some being not that accurate, however they did not cost that sort of dosh.

P

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Just to show that I do occasionally get round to finishing something, here are two very nice brake vans. Purchased many months ago, underframe weathering done several months ago. main weathering started weeks ago, and finally completed two days ago. All that is needed now is the obligatory rear lamps. I have loads of those, so it is just a matter of remembering where I put them.

1874863227_1toads.JPG.846ceab0e79bff40e3d79e0312c036d7.JPG

Despite already being an arse I do not want to be one here...……...however, if the B vans will always run just 'one way' then maybe you could get rid of the

rear coupling and replace with a nice set of links?

P

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Tut - tut!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I knew I'd forget something.:sad_mini2:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Despite already being an arse I do not want to be one here...……...however, if the B vans will always run just 'one way' then maybe you could get rid of the

rear coupling and replace with a nice set of links?

P

Now that one I have remembered Phil, and I shall deal with it when I find the lamps.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Love it John and as a satisfied customer may I say that those items tut tut are indeed excellent.

Now then G (and Co.), on another thread there is some chat about 'new' Hornby Gresleys (Teak). Presumably the Buffet is still incorrect?

Looks like they will be about £50 a pop; arghhh. Glad I have loads of ancient coaches from a variety of sources, some being not that accurate, however they did not cost that sort of dosh.

P

The teaks don't look as bad, as they don't have mid lining to be wrongly positioned, but I don't think the lack of tumblehome has been corrected. If it has, bring on the BR liveried ones.

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, great northern said:

The teaks don't look as bad, as they don't have mid lining to be wrongly positioned, but I don't think the lack of tumblehome has been corrected. If it has, bring on the BR liveried ones.

I think we are all waiting for that?

P

Edited by Mallard60022