Peterborough North

great northern

15 hours ago, great northern said:

How you do that?:scratch_one-s_head_mini: I can erase things, but haven't a clue how to replace them like that.

Because I'm upside down here in Western Australia, when I open the photo, the tweezers just fall off...  (the trains are heavier so the stay on, apparently)

Alan is correct - it's the clone tool in photoshop:

eric_stamp-56a44dab3df78cf77281a76e.jpg.5486fedd73a5ccb0eee68a2090f3a9ab.jpg

It's not hard to use, but does need practice to look good, so I'll find a decent video tutorial add it here, but for me, the trick is where you select the point to start cloning. In your case, I made sure the cross-hair of the select point was on the line between the platform and the sky.  Then when I cloned, I started on the same line, but where the tweezers were.

I'm sure that sounds confusing, and would be a 5 min exercise if I was sat behind you at your computer, but you have mastered filling in around your gantries, so I am sure it's not beyond your capabilities!

This one does go through it a bit fast for a newbie, but it covers the things I look for, so may encourage you to have a go:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mn38uUT7E0

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox
typos
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jukebox said:

Because I'm upside down here in Western Australia, when I open the photo, the tweezers just fall off...  (the trains are heavier so the stay on, apparently)

Alan is correct - it's the clone tool in photoshop:

eric_stamp-56a44dab3df78cf77281a76e.jpg.5486fedd73a5ccb0eee68a2090f3a9ab.jpg

It's not hard to use, but does need practice to look good, so I'll find a decent video tutorial add it here, but for me, the trick is where you select the point to start cloning. In your case, I made sure the cross-hair of the select point was on the line between the platform and the sky.  Then when I cloned, I started on the same line, but where the tweezers were.

I'm sure that sounds confusing, and would be a 5 min exercise if I was sat behind you at your computer, but you have mastered filling in around your gantries, so I am sure it's not beyond your capabilities!

This one does go through it a bit fast for a newbie, but it covers the things I look for, so may encourage you to have a go:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mn38uUT7E0

Cheers

Scott

I tried Photoshop a long time back Scott, but I found it to be too complicated for my abilities. I use Paint.Net, which is simple, like me, and I don't remember seeing a clone tool on there. I'll have a look later, but I think the simple soution is for me not to leave things lying around where they can be seen by the camera.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

I tried Photoshop a long time back Scott, but I found it to be too complicated for my abilities. I use Paint.Net, which is simple, like me, and I don't remember seeing a clone tool on there. I'll have a look later, but I think the simple soution is for me not to leave things lying around where they can be seen by the camera.

It's literally 3 minutes for me to tweak, so by all means if you ever see any howlers you miss that you'd like to get tweaked, send them across and I'll take care of them for you.  Always happy to help.

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, jukebox said:

It's literally 3 minutes for me to tweak, so by all means if you ever see any howlers you miss that you'd like to get tweaked, send them across and I'll take care of them for you.  Always happy to help.

Some while back [Ok nearly 20 years] we used to do Saturday open classes, on various interests, in our School.  While teaching some Photoshop tools, I showed the attendees the clone tool, intending it to be much as the above tweezers, removing blemishes, telegraph poles etc.  Having given them a young lady portrait, I was, initially appalled to see a young lad cloning one of her eyes onto her nose.  Before I could find a polite way of telling the youngster that wasn't the purpose, it had also been noticed by some of the others.  What then resulted was a hilarious half hour, with all sorts of items being transfered around lots of different pictures.  They had great fun with the Clone Tool well and truely learned, I was reminded of a very useful teaching tool, too.

Regards

Julian

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jukebox said:

That is very kind Scott, and I will take you up on it, but only if what I have left in view spoils what I otherwise regard as a very good picture.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oooh, it is a good job that I am a very even tempered chap who never gets flustered or loses my temper. If that were not the case, I could be getting quite hot and bothered now. Why might that be? Because everything  white I put in place to make photoshopping easier comes out grey when the camera gets hold of it, and that is the worst possible colour to cope with. I am now running out of ideas, other than LED lighting, and I don't really understand that.

• Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Oooh, it is a good job that I am a very even tempered chap who never gets flustered or loses my temper. If that were not the case, I could be getting quite hot and bothered now. Why might that be? Because everything  white I put in place to make photoshopping easier comes out grey when the camera gets hold of it, and that is the worst possible colour to cope with. I am now running out of ideas, other than LED lighting, and I don't really understand that.

Does your camera have different setting for various light conditions?  I have a few on mine and it quite surprising how much difference it makes.

Regards

Julian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

Does your camera have different setting for various light conditions?  I have a few on mine and it quite surprising how much difference it makes.

Regards

Julian

I have daylight and cloudy settings, plus some for artificial light. None can solve the problem though. I've tinkered with white balance too, but no luck with that either. Strong light in some parts casts shadow elsewhere, and the overhang of the bookcases is another problem.

• Informative/Useful 1

Right, formation of the 6.40 Grantham stopper. I have the official formation, and five days recordings from the HMRS Journal. All of those differ, and none of them bear much relationship to what the official book says.

1455748831_7rake1.JPG.d7d62a9a1ff6387678e1904afa4bbae9.JPG1471342058_8rake2.JPG.16d54ecc79fce08d0aade8abaa3452b0.JPG1277712553_9rake3.JPG.8065cb697a2e225c6b4114c5ea9ece21.JPG847902453_10rake4.JPG.572fc59b3c4a1854a77705e2c0c2b81d.JPG

The van at the front is shown as a service van for Doncaster. That isn't shown on the official formation, though a BZ is. The book then says BG BSK 3TSO BCK BG. That 3TSO core didn't actually appear on any day of the survey. The stock was on a 48 hour circuit, so it was either SO CK CK, or SK SK CK. I chose the former, but I can't see why there should be two CKs. Was there a mistake or a typo in the survey? Anyway, what I've done is what allegedly appeared on Wed 9th July 1958.

I suppose it also shows that I needn't get too fixated with compliance with the official records.

While Sandwich was simmering away at Platform 6, the 0800 Leeds ran through on the main, yet another KX A4 in charge.

1118558553_11321.JPG.6c73e6bc565e9f7b223b0e514e8a8202.JPG

It's interesting regarding 'fixation' with official Records, Gilbert.

I think (I know) your research is more diligent than mine, because I haven't even attempted to replicate every train which ran through Little Bytham on a summer's day in August 1958. 

Like you, I've used BR's own documents for making-up the trains I've represented. I've also cross-referenced those documents, where I can, with prototype photographs. In many, many cases, the 'reality' doesn't match up with the 'ideal' Indeed, in some cases, it seems miles away. 

I've just been captioning some pictures for BRILL, taken at Durham in the late-'50s. For that period, the BR 'official' make up of the 'Morning Talisman'/'Fair Maid' has all Mk.1s in the set. Yet, the catering cars in the prototype picture are Thompsons. The 'official' listing for 'The Elizabethan' has Thompson PV stock for the main body of the train, but there, in the actual picture, is a standard Thompson TK. 

There at least two trains I can't identify (it's not a summer Saturday), and another has several ex-LMS strengtheners in its consist, none of which will appear in the BR document. 

Unfortunately (as always) I can't find the picture right now, but it's of a V2 (yes, a V2) on a Grantham-Peterborough all-stations stopper, at Essendine, in the mid-'50s. The stock is a complete mixture of antiquities (some non-gangwayed), with what could be a brand new Mk.1 at the rear. None of my documents has a Mk.1 in any of those humble trains. 

I'm much more of the opinion now of using actual photographs to decide on the trains I build. It actually happened, a one-off or not.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It's interesting regarding 'fixation' with official Records, Gilbert.

I think (I know) your research is more diligent than mine, because I haven't even attempted to replicate every train which ran through Little Bytham on a summer's day in August 1958. 

Like you, I've used BR's own documents for making-up the trains I've represented. I've also cross-referenced those documents, where I can, with prototype photographs. In many, many cases, the 'reality' doesn't match up with the 'ideal' Indeed, in some cases, it seems miles away. 

I've just been captioning some pictures for BRILL, taken at Durham in the late-'50s. For that period, the BR 'official' make up of the 'Morning Talisman'/'Fair Maid' has all Mk.1s in the set. Yet, the catering cars in the prototype picture are Thompsons. The 'official' listing for 'The Elizabethan' has Thompson PV stock for the main body of the train, but there, in the actual picture, is a standard Thompson TK. 

There at least two trains I can't identify (it's not a summer Saturday), and another has several ex-LMS strengtheners in its consist, none of which will appear in the BR document. 

Unfortunately (as always) I can't find the picture right now, but it's of a V2 (yes, a V2) on a Grantham-Peterborough all-stations stopper, at Essendine, in the mid-'50s. The stock is a complete mixture of antiquities (some non-gangwayed), with what could be a brand new Mk.1 at the rear. None of my documents has a Mk.1 in any of those humble trains. 

I'm much more of the opinion now of using actual photographs to decide on the trains I build. It actually happened, a one-off or not.

Regards,

Tony. 

This does get interesting, if one likes that sort of rather esoteric discussion. My summer 1958 book shows the Fair Maid to have a non MK1 RU in the formation. I've had a look at Banks/Carter, where it is stated that this was " a Thompson RF downgraded without modification". I know that there are mistakes in that book too, but that does seem to confirm what the official records say. The MK1 RFO also gets a mention as having attracted complaint for poor riding, so perhaps authority gave way and replaced it with a much more comfortable LNER car.

Until the Fair Maid came into existence, I think both Morning and afternoon Talisman worked both ways in a day, so that could account for two Thompson catering cars, but of course there would also be the ex Coronation twin first in the formation too. Banks/Carter does mention occasional use of a Gresley RF, or a RSP instead of a dining SO, presumably in place of failures or cars in works. Would that account for the ordinary Thompson second in the Elizabethan too?

My knowledge of events as far North as Durham is somewhat sketchy, but didn't ex LMS stock appear in the inter regional trains which originated from Leeds and beyond to Manchester and Liverpool?  Having said that I have a photo somewhere of an A4 with all LMS stock just south of Peterborough, captioned 1960, which looks right to me.

I've mentioned the 9.47am Up Newcastle before, which had very different formations depending on the day of the week. Catering on Monday was RF SO (not Mk1), on Tuesday FO RK, again not MK1, Wednesday and Friday FO and RK, but the remaining formation differed, and on Thursday, a triplet set!

There were some significant changes from 1957 to 1958, which I've had to be wary of, as well. As to those Peterborough-Grantham locals, yes, I've seen quite a lot of photos of delightfully ancient stock on those, but all of them are early to mid 50s, and sadly a lot of that stock was gone by 1958.

All of which shows how much scope there is for different interpretations!

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

Some trains ran today, and a small lighting experiment took place too. More thought is needed, and as I still have backscenes on my mind as well, there is a danger of overload.

Shall we have a look at a resting Sandwich?

1143510592_1239stppoed.JPG.dca2c22f07a6e2a70d742c577228717f.JPG

I do like this view. The stationary Sandwich is being passed by a coasting Gannet.

49594576_12a322.JPG.8b55f9336f51c678ea06f324402c391b.JPG

Good job it wasn't Seagull or the sandwich would've disappeared.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

Gannet up close this morning.

2004944907_14323.JPG.47ab6f047ffd4cedbdbb006ff51a6ff7.JPG

and then from above.

2009109512_15frombridge.JPG.32170f848773c51ffd510bfbf0979cf6.JPG

I do love these photos from Spital Bridge. So lifelike from what was my normal viewing position. Thanks for doing the acrobatics necessary to take them.

Lloyd

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 23/08/2019 at 22:25, great northern said:

I was thinking more of the track bed Clive. The last time I looked, there was almost no trace anywhere.

Hi

If you mean the track bed of the Mablethorpe loop from Louth then there is quite a bit still visible between Louth and Mablethorpe. Part of the track bed between Louth (Stewton Lane) and Grimoldby was being looked at as a cycle path between the two unfortunately nothing came of the plans.

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Hi Gilbert et al,

Latest report from the S&T department who have been beavering away in their glacial-like manner...

DSC07742.JPG.3019f72d02127ac64af91d323b8082f2.JPG DSC08138.JPG.281678ec8b17bd5a734270955c2ed29f.JPG

Last report was ... er ... probably more than a few pages ago so I can't be sure that I haven't posted the left hand photo before; no matter, this is the point at which I've made the signal arms and some crank supports added. Right hand - now with paint, and spectacle plates fitted. Not readily apparent, but some light weathering has been applied. I'm delighted to report that this was done using the Dave Shakespeare airbrush that you kindly facilitated me acquiring. It was the first time I've used it for such work so it was I was pleased to be able to use it for such a task.

DSC08274.JPG.725b5c25a052eade2da332ae0881c2d7.JPG

And this is where we're up to currently, taken within the last hour. As you can see, all the cranks and linkages are now connected up to impart motion to the arms on the offset posts - and it all works, despite some challenging clearances. Phew!

WP_20180319_12_14_15_Pro.jpg.66746318f4cde2b5bb76701dc5ec4c98.jpg

You are - understandably - careful not to focus too much on the existing signal that mine is due to replace but I hope you don't mind me posting my reference image so as folks can see why the replacement is being constructed.

Hopefully not too much longer now (!) I always feel that boost of motivation once the finishing line is in sight and I think the new signal is at that stage now. In other positive news, I have now had a set of etches made for the brackets for the other two similar signals so that should speed up their construction once the first one is installed.

Graham

Oh that is lovely Graham!  Really good news, as I'm getting tired of trying to keep the poor twisted thing out of shot at the moment. Sometimes it can't be avoided, and then I shudder when I see it, as in the image I've just put up tonight. Well worth waiting for, and I'm grateful to you for fitting it in at all when you have so much else on. The last bit of news is very welcome too. Things will be transformed when all of them are in place. Of course, that will then show up all the others.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

More sucking my stomach in than acrobatics now Lloyd. As it happens, there is one more of these in the file, so here it is.

403948947_16sameagain.JPG.9339c248bc714d3f9c21daa91de67691.JPG

I'm still trying to get the angle seen on some of the prototype  shots from the bridge, but the outside wall of the room gets in my way.

I know a man with a big hammer...

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1