Peterborough North

great northern

2 hours ago, great northern said:

And so some silly person thought that if we could get up really high, we might get an idea of the full length of the 9F's train. A little levitation later, this was the result.

1568044985_49Fhigh.JPG.9faaa88ee4723c80dea6f688c97c18d5.JPG

It does give an idea, though some of the mineral wagons are still in the fiddle yard, but it is not sensible to try to photoshop this, so after some swearing, we came back to earth,and a tried and trusted view.

163188591_59Flow.JPG.d37bf933c08ecdd1c8bfc318d6c7fc05.JPG

I agree with you, Gilbert, about the angle compared to protoype photos. The parapet on Spital Bridge was quite high on both sides from the road, and extended all the way down to the junction on the East (Up) side, and so the only spot for a photo without a ladder was at the end of the parapets where the fence started on the West (Down) side of the line. This was just beyond the Midland lines/sidings. I can imagine having difficulties getting into that position without demolition - and the dust from that would be unthinkable!

I always thought that the weight sank (sagged?) down as you got older, and that you got shorter. When I go to pick up something off the floor, though, it seams further away than ever.

Many thanks again, Gilbert, for all your work and acrobatics to give us such magnificent prompts to reminisce.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

I agree with you, Gilbert, about the angle compared to protoype photos. The parapet on Spital Bridge was quite high on both sides from the road, and extended all the way down to the junction on the East (Up) side, and so the only spot for a photo without a ladder was at the end of the parapets where the fence started on the West (Down) side of the line. This was just beyond the Midland lines/sidings. I can imagine having difficulties getting into that position without demolition - and the dust from that would be unthinkable!

I always thought that the weight sank (sagged?) down as you got older, and that you got shorter. When I go to pick up something off the floor, though, it seams further away than ever.

Many thanks again, Gilbert, for all your work and acrobatics to give us such magnificent prompts to reminisce.

Lloyd

Many thanks Lloyd. I' ve never succeeded in working out  exactly where photographers were standing though it was clear that they all seemed to be in the same place. Though I've visited a couple of times since starting the project, I've never ventured onto Spital Bridge myself. Now I know what can't be done, so I can stop worrying about it!

As to access, I've just measured the space between baseboard edge and wall, which is eleven and a half inches. I shall now take the view that, though it is a tight fit, I'm doing quite well if I can get in there at all. It is also a powerful disincentive to putting on any more excess weight, which must be a good thing.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Gilbert, have I lost my orientation or was there a double-sided buffer stop more or less where the 58' GN carriage is standing?

There was Jonathan, and it is on the "to do" list. Here it is.

1849013133_closeupengineersyard001.jpg.9566c0428fd98710b167c6ecfc5a73bc.jpg

Peter and I have looked at it several times, and always decided to defer it until later. An intereasting scratchbuilding project?

• Like 16

12 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Especially compared to a Flirt (or whatever they are called)

Stewart.

Sorry for O/T but I saw my first Flirts in the flesh at Cambridge yesterday. I thought they had a real presence — looking much more purposeful and “solid” than they do in photos. Very impressive, from the outside, at least. 

Back to PN: I’m not sure I agree that B17s are “beautiful”, but I think they’re hugely attractive machines. Poised and powerful-looking. A pumped-up muscleman compared to the more human D16s. 

But whatever the description, they’re lovely to see. PN just keeps getting better. 

Paul

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Please, vot is a flirt? Clearly it isn't what I've always understood one to be.

As to B17s, I admit to enormous bias where they are concerned, but as Paul says "hugely atrractive" is a very good description. D16s are beautiful though.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Pilgrim in France said:

I believe a Standard class 5 was trialled on the Grimsby/Cleethorpes to Kings Cross express. Certainly I must have had evidence of this as it enabled me to justify buying one for the layout I had based on Boston. 

That's very interesting. I wonder what Immingham and Boston enginemen had to say about it?  I've never seen anything other than Immingham locos on the Grimsby/Cleethorpes expresses, and they were the most prestigious duties either shed had. Was Top Shed hoping to get rid of the standards to Immingham? If so, it didn't work.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Regarding the KX Standard 5s, I don’t recall ever seeing a picture of one on a passenger train bound for or through PN, but I have seen a few of them on KX- Cambridge passenger trains (e.g. Steam Days June 2011). That’s my justification for one!

Andy

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Gilbert,

Regarding the KX Standard 5s, I don’t recall ever seeing a picture of one on a passenger train bound for or through PN, but I have seen a few of them on KX- Cambridge passenger trains (e.g. Steam Days June 2011). That’s my justification for one!

Andy

Ditto; as per "King's Cross Lineside 1958-1984" p.34.  Bachmann helpfully made one of theirs 73158!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Gilbert,

Andy

22 minutes ago, 31A said:

Ditto; as per "King's Cross Lineside 1958-1984" p.34.  Bachmann helpfully made one of theirs 73158!

Yes, that makes sense doesn't it?  As I recall that is what they did with the Black 5 that arrived in the mid 50s too.

As a B1 equivalent, it would also be logical to use them on the summer Saturday Skegness trains, but I haven't seen any evidence of that. I suppose its the same old story. Something different, not what they were used to, and thus regarded with suspicion and dislike.

• Like 1

On 23/08/2019 at 19:07, great northern said:

523336884_12a11303.JPG.3578a46418a1ed63171f253fc77dfccc.JPG

Playing a bit of catch-up here, but just noticed the lamp missing the, well, lamp.

The good news is I've got a new batch in a new, clear resin already pencilled in to trial next week. All being well, some new, tougher, clearer lamps should be on their way to you soon Gilbert.

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Yes, that makes sense doesn't it?  As I recall that is what they did with the Black 5 that arrived in the mid 50s too.

As a B1 equivalent, it would also be logical to use them on the summer Saturday Skegness trains, but I haven't seen any evidence of that. I suppose its the same old story. Something different, not what they were used to, and thus regarded with suspicion and dislike.

They were disliked by Crews and Fitters alike.My father who worked at 34D Neasden spent 5 days a fortnight working at Top Shed on the Standard Class 5's and on Stanier,s Black Five 44911 when it was on loan at Top Shed after it's move from Chester for A.W.S. tests in the late 1950,s.he loved it as it gave him travelling time and bumped up his wages. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, 69843 said:

Playing a bit of catch-up here, but just noticed the lamp missing the, well, lamp.

The good news is I've got a new batch in a new, clear resin already pencilled in to trial next week. All being well, some new, tougher, clearer lamps should be on their way to you soon Gilbert.

Many thanks. I still have one or two spares, but as you say they still are rather delicate, so I'm grateful for what you are now doing. It would help if I wasn't so hamfisted as well though.

• Like 1