Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, LSWRlinesider said:

Hopefully Gilbert would have one with the arm on the right way round!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, LSWRlinesider said:

But not at that price, unfortunately.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

For once I actually did what I planned, and after a nice quiet journey I finished up at Anderby Creek, which, fifty years ago, was a haven of peace and tranquility compared with Skeggy Mabelthorpe and Sutton. Even then, caravan sites were springing up nearby, and today there are even more, but on arrival the small and free car park was not even half full, and the beach almost empty. My back didn't much like trudging through soft sand, so I finished up on the coastal path, where I saw more butterflies, and of more varieties, than I've seen in years. Absolutely lovely, and well worth a seventy mile drive. The next trip though will be railway related.

Back to PN, and the 7.43 Up York has its normal badly run down A2/3. Look at them lattices!

1673608426_15151.JPG.b1586f5a4cd2f4dde26cf0507cc78a4f.JPG

1739380867_25152.JPG.530725bbaa3a0248522ccb837f740f3b.JPG

Lighting is getting better, but I think something more permanent is called for.

Now everyone will want to go there!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Now everyone will want to go there!

It hasn't happened up to now though. Nothing to do there except enjoy nature at its finest, so it won't suit a lot of people at all. I drove through Sutton and Mablethorpe yesterday, and I couldn't see many of the tourists there who would swap it for Anderby. No pubs, no bingo, no amusement arcades.......

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Still not sure about the Thompson pacifics - they just look too ungainly.  Their performance was not brilliant either, but they were a part of the ECML in the time scale which you are modelling, so they need to appear.  Filthy locos were becoming the norm even as early as 1957, especially at some depots, and again, given your love of accurate modelling, need to appear.  The weathering on all your locos does reflect very well the differing standards of cleaning and maintenance at the various depots which served trains via Peterborough, and is a credit to you and to the people who assist you with the weathering of your locos and stock.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I rather like the look of the Thompson pacifics certainly they are not as balanced or pleasing to the eye as a Gresley or Peppercorn pacific but they do seem to have a brute presence about them. Always caused a bit of a stir at KX when they backed out of the tunnels! Rather like the Princess pacifics re Princess Coronations, I preferred the former.

Then again, what do I know, I think all the varieties of Urie H15 4-6-0 have a certain ugly - beautiful appeal. Sorry getting too.....

What a joy this thread is some fabulous modelling and brilliant photography, many thanks.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, great northern said:

It hasn't happened up to now though. Nothing to do there except enjoy nature at its finest, so it won't suit a lot of people at all. I drove through Sutton and Mablethorpe yesterday, and I couldn't see many of the tourists there who would swap it for Anderby. No pubs, no bingo, no amusement arcades.......

Hi Gilbert

You could have popped in for a cuppa and a play on the train set.

No you couldn't have a cuppa or a play, we had a power cut for most of the day,:ireful:  but you could have still come round for a natter.

There are so many electric scooters, buggies, wheelchairs, what-evers in Mablethorpe that it looks like the dodgems have escaped from amusement park.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

You could have popped in for a cuppa and a play on the train set.

No you couldn't have a cuppa or a play, we had a power cut for most of the day,:ireful:  but you could have still come round for a natter.

There are so many electric scooters, buggies, wheelchairs, what-evers in Mablethorpe that it looks like the dodgems have escaped from amusement park.

Well, it's like this Clive. I went and had a look at Theddlethorpe/Saltfleetby dunes, but the tide was way out, and no birds were in sight, so then I decided to call in on you. I thought that if I just turned back out to the right onto the B whatever it is, I would find myself on your road, but I didn't. I finished up driving for miles on a very winding and otherwise featureless road, without a signpost or junction to be found. When I did get to a junction, I guessed which way to turn, and guessed wrong. In the end, I emerged somewhere near Louth, and was so p***** off I just headed for home. Too stupid to look at a map, and I don't have sat nav. Phone? I'd left that at home.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, great northern said:

Well, it's like this Clive. I went and had a look at Theddlethorpe/Saltfleetby dunes, but the tide was way out, and no birds were in sight, so then I decided to call in on you. I thought that if I just turned back out to the right onto the B whatever it is, I would find myself on your road, but I didn't. I finished up driving for miles on a very winding and otherwise featureless road, without a signpost or junction to be found. When I did get to a junction, I guessed which way to turn, and guessed wrong. In the end, I emerged somewhere near Louth, and was so p***** off I just headed for home. Too stupid to look at a map, and I don't have sat nav. Phone? I'd left that at home.

Hi Gilbert

I like your preparation for a day out, no phone, no sat nav, no idea where you are going, all sounds wonderful.

I like going down to the dunes, the tide does go out a very long way and the beach is deserted, maybe because there is no ice cream, donkeys or dodgems. In the dunes themselves is a group of nudist.....sadly no birds but it just seems to be a gang of old blokes.

There was a lovely feature yesterday on the S bend near us, with flashing blue lights. A car had gone down the ditch (again) and it was that accident that took out our power lines.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

There was a lovely feature yesterday on the S bend near us, with flashing blue lights. A car had gone down the ditch (again) and it was that accident that took out our power lines.

Hi

Unfortunately that appears to be a regular occurrence on those bends. The road seems to attract the idiots who also can't manage to stay on a straight bit of road. Witness the two cars in the dykes over the last month between Manby and Louth.

I'm expecting it to be restricted to 40mph from Legbourne roundabout to the junction with the A1031 before long with the exception of the part through Grimoldby and Manby that is already 30mph.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Unfortunately that appears to be a regular occurrence on those bends. The road seems to attract the idiots who also can't manage to stay on a straight bit of road. Witness the two cars in the dykes over the last month between Manby and Louth.

I'm expecting it to be restricted to 40mph from Legbourne roundabout to the junction with the A1031 before long with the exception of the part through Grimoldby and Manby that is already 30mph.

Cheers

Paul

Ah Paul

When the traffic lights are at amber then the speed limit rises to 90 mph.

Something that I noticed when we first came here was how laid back most people are. Go shopping and every shop person has a natter with all the customers, no one seems in a hurry like they are in Essex,...........................................that is until they get a steering wheel in their hands. :devil:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Cheers

Paul

For a growing proportion of motorists, there are no speed limits. This has a great deal to do with the fact that in many areas there are virtually no traffic police.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, great northern said:

For a growing proportion of motorists, there are no speed limits. This has a great deal to do with the fact that in many areas there are virtually no traffic police.

Hi

That is very true.

We have had a speed camera van in the village on several separate occasions over the last two months. This is something that has never happened in the past and I've lived in the villages for 50+ years. Whether this has been requested by the Parish council I don't know. We did have those flashing speed signs but they were set for 30 in the 40.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Ah Paul

When the traffic lights are at amber then the speed limit rises to 90 mph.

Something that I noticed when we first came here was how laid back most people are. Go shopping and every shop person has a natter with all the customers, no one seems in a hurry like they are in Essex,...........................................that is until they get a steering wheel in their hands. :devil:

It's a law of nature.

Red = Stop

Green = Go

Amber = Go faster

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

It's a law of nature.

Red = Stop

Green = Go

Amber = Go faster

This reminds me of the rule for unmarked crossroads even before I was born - As most accidents happened at unmarked crossroads, the less time you spent there, the less exposed you would be. This led to the idea that the safest method was to cross them as fast as you can!

Lloyd

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

It's a law of nature.

Red = Stop

Green = Go

Amber = Go faster

Most cities seem to operate using the following "rules"

Red = Be aware that there may be other vehicles in your way

Green = OK