Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, jollysmart said:

Most cities seem to operate using the following "rules"

Red = Be aware that there may be other vehicles in your way

Green = OK

Amber = Ignore

For those who remove their brains before getting behind the wheel, it is even simpler than that.

Red = Only the next three vehicles may proceed.*

Green = accelerate.

Amber = not applicable.

* I believe this may increase to four or even five in London.

Many years ago, I prosecuted a man for going through a red. I remember it well, because it resulted in my shortest ever cross examination. This guy, self represented, argued that he knew the junction very well, and that there was a five second(at least), delay between his lights turning red, and the other set even going to amber. Thus, his "defence" was that what he did was perfectly safe. He seemed quite pleased with himself.

Cross examination went like this:-

Q."Mr Bloggs, with what offence are you charged?"

A.  "Going through a red light"

Q. "What colour was showing when you passed through it?"

A.  Red....but...

Me, "no buts Mr Bloggs, your Worships, I have no further questions."

And yes, he was convicted.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Stuff cars; they are the Devil's spawn  and their drivers are often something even more unpleasant.

So, has everyone seem Mr D Franks' latest leccy lamps for LNER engines wot had leccy lamps?

I.N. Formation: R.A.F. Moustache & Bar.

I can't see anything on his website Phil.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I do like those. Every time I buy a second hand Baccy A1 it seems to be missing those lights, so these will be very useful to replace them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, great northern said:

Right, after all that where have I got to? No, that was yesterday, wasn't it? A quick look in Photo Gallery reveals that it is time for another A3.

1299987330_5461.JPG.a7dad820595a4597210658d0f6a058a2.JPG

This is Diamond Jubilee with the 7.50 Up Leeds.

1725689877_6462.JPG.ba696b723709338b52516d3c705c3d52.JPG

Gilbert,

I like the look look of a Diamond Jubilee with her 1935 streamlined tender. I assume it’s a Hornby conversion? I have just bought the plates for the same loco from Modelmaster and I’m planning how to create her. Have Hornby produced a suitable donor or did you use an A4 tender with another A3? 

Also, her condition looks ‘under loved ‘ - not very dirty, but certainly not glossy. I have no doubt knowing your zeal that you have a picture on which that is based.  I believe she was a Doncaster engine in your period - were they generally like that?

Andy

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Gilbert,

I like the look look of a Diamond Jubilee with her 1935 streamlined tender. I assume it’s a Hornby conversion? I have just bought the plates for the same loco from Modelmaster and I’m planning how to create her. Have Hornby produced a suitable donor or did you use an A4 tender with another A3? 

Also, her condition looks ‘under loved ‘ - not very dirty, but certainly not glossy. I have no doubt knowing your zeal that you have a picture on which that is based.  I believe she was a Doncaster engine in your period - were they generally like that?

Andy

This was one that John Houlden did getting on ten years ago Andy, so the details aren't totally clear in my mind. I do remember that we had to source a correct tender, as, apart from numerous Flying Scotsmen, Hornby hadn't done this combination. I think we may have done a swap, but I'm not sure.

Doncaster didn't seem to do much cleaning, so in general terms mine would be about right, but she was only ex works with double chimney on 8th August 58, so even Doncaster would have had a job to get here in this state so quickly. She's on the list for Tim to work some magic on her, but quite a way down. I'm more careful now than I was back then!