Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Love the last two photographs of 60012 but surely she isn;t going to make Waverley with such a low level of coal ? :D

There's more in there than you might think Derek, and she is just ex works, and has a very thrifty Scottish driver and fireman.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

She'll pick some more coal up in the troughs, rarely photographed, north of Doncaster...……...

Stewart

Or from the prototype, and never photographed, flying coaling stage which was briefly trialled in the late 50s. It was designed to hover above the tender, and disgorge its contents therein. Bridges turned out to be an insuperable problem though.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 6

6 hours ago, great northern said:

Or from the prototype, and never photographed, flying coaling stage which was briefly trialled in the late 50s. It was designed to hover above the tender, and disgorge its contents therein. Bridges turned out to be an insuperable problem though.

Gilbert

I always wondered what a Hovercraft was really for! Though that was more early/mid sixties from memory.

Lloyd

6 hours ago, great northern said:

Isn’t that Gresleys experimental tender  ?  In the corridor between the first coach and loco cab there was a special hatch leading to the bunker, and there were specially built hoppers carried in the guards compartment to refuel mid trip. It ran into trouble with the unions though as the NUM complained it was their job to move coal in the hoppers . A strike was narrowly averted when a substantial bonus payment persuaded all concerned that money was more important than principles.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Still up in the air, our second man gets one more view of 60012. When it came to photoshopping it though, he didn't think much of it, so he didn't do any. As he is so regularly out of tune with visitors to the thread though, it is reproduced in the raw, as it were.

928636609_3123.JPG.25c74cdcc34086301d2da7111c9b32aa.JPG

There is no such problem though when pointing the camera at a clean Compound bringing in the Birmingham-Ely.

961381854_41157.JPG.7754cfc68daa3ffd44406e62c73b471e.JPG

I think it is because the loco is nowhere near the centre of the image that I'm not happy with this view. Swinging the camera further to the right though just reveals an expanse of nothing.

Perhaps if the loco were just an inch to the left so it isn't obscured by the lamp post it might work? The camera position looks fine, with the signal and lamp post balancing each other.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Perhaps if the loco were just an inch to the left so it isn't obscured by the lamp post it might work? The camera position looks fine, with the signal and lamp post balancing each other.

The text somehow got out of position there, and I didn't notice. It was meant to refer to the A4 image.  The Compound shot is just another instance of my not taking my time to check everything before taking the photo.  I think the size of the veiewfinder and the state of my vision may have something to do with it as well though.

In fairness, there is so much clutter up that end that if I move something slightly to avoid one problem, all that happens is that another one is created.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert - In my opinion, the railway paraphernalia all adds to the air of authenticity, and in any event, it was there, and it often did get in the way, so as far as I'm concerned, it can get in the way - it's the quality of the modelling, and the stunning accuracy of it that keeps us all coming back for more.  I only follow a few layouts on here - in fact, two - yours and Waverley West.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Off I went to run trains and take photos. All went smoothly until suddenly I got a short circuit on the station board. Checked around, no stock bridging two sections, which is usually the cause, and no other obvious reasons to be seen, so I started checking for possible faulty points. I found loads of unresponsive ones, including on the other electrical sections, which were not affected by the short. Why should that be?  Well, in the end I remembered that way back when we wired the whole thing we decided to give each section readily identifiable sections. Thus section 1 has points 1-34, section 2 51-73, and section 3 101 to 118. So, what was likely to happen  if I checked numbers 35 to 50 for example?  Well, nothing, and as they don't exist, that is hardly surprising.:banghead: Eventually, I cottoned on to this, and instead started removing stock one by one to see if I suddenly had an offending vehicle. Apparently not.

As far as I could see or recall, nothing had happened to cause the sudden change, so I came back down and gave my head a rest. Half an hour later, ready once more for the fray, back I went, to find...... no short circuit.:O I have absolutely no idea why, so I've given up for the day. Any suggestions gratefully received.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Are any of your electrical sections separated just by air-gaps, rather than nylon rail-joiners? Sometimes a rail will creep a smidge and cause a fault. Heat and humidity can cause that to happen. 

I had a look for that Ian, but couldn't see anything untoward. It is much cooler up there now than it has been for a lot of the summer, so if that was the problem, I'd have expected it to happen before now.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Off I went to run trains and take photos. All went smoothly until suddenly I got a short circuit on the station board. Checked around, no stock bridging two sections, which is usually the cause, and no other obvious reasons to be seen, so I started checking for possible faulty points. I found loads of unresponsive ones, including on the other electrical sections, which were not affected by the short. Why should that be?  Well, in the end I remembered that way back when we wired the whole thing we decided to give each section readily identifiable sections. Thus section 1 has points 1-34, section 2 51-73, and section 3 101 to 118. So, what was likely to happen  if I checked numbers 35 to 50 for example?  Well, nothing, and as they don't exist, that is hardly surprising.:banghead: Eventually, I cottoned on to this, and instead started removing stock one by one to see if I suddenly had an offending vehicle. Apparently not.

As far as I could see or recall, nothing had happened to cause the sudden change, so I came back down and gave my head a rest. Half an hour later, ready once more for the fray, back I went, to find...... no short circuit.:O I have absolutely no idea why, so I've given up for the day. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Hi Gilbert

Post your enquiry in the DCC section, there are a host of experts in there. I better not say anything as I will be called a troll again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

SS caused by a whizzy thing in the supply causing discomfort in the wire bits. There you go. Turn off and then turn on again is the greatest cure for most ills in the digitalis world. That is a quite from the head DCC expert in the thing Clive was talking about; they know everything and I am not worthy and I never, ever ask a question over 'there' as they are just so excited about things and often lose their composure.

Sparky The Magic Piano. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

SS caused by a whizzy thing in the supply causing discomfort in the wire bits. There you go. Turn off and then turn on again is the greatest cure for most ills in the digitalis world. That is a quite from the head DCC expert in the thing Clive was talking about; they know everything and I am not worthy and I never, ever ask a question over 'there' as they are just so excited about things and often lose their composure.

Sparky The Magic Piano. 

I tried the switching off and back on again a couple of times Phil, but to no effect. Fortunately it came back of its own accord before I got to my next remedy,"hit it with a big hammer".

I fear that if I went on that DCC thread I probably wouldn't understand any advice I was given anyway.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, great northern said:

Possibly a spider, or similar crawling critter inside the panel.

Edited by john new
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, great northern said:

Got up very early this morning to get the first appointment at the Doctors - 7.00am. The Doctor was fifteen minutes late arriving.

You just can't get the staff these days. My doctor retired in June. I had to search for him 5 years ago after the previous one did the same - a year late in her case. Both practices have simply closed their doors. No-one wants to be a doc in rural France, and Sherry and others make it clear UK is going the same way. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1