Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
Just now, great northern said:

How can any idiot hit a drive 255 yards, and then take five more shots to cover another 80?

This idiot could manage the second bit with ease but the first bit would be more tricky.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, great northern said:

Silver Link continues through the PSR, passing Sun Castle, which will follow on behind.

1888832696_1014and523.JPG.50835845d445b00d3b07b1da912c5d40.JPG

60014 is now approaching the bridge, and of course we have a man up there, who is still experimenting with photographic angles.

286126602_12frombridge1.JPG.ddb6c9aa576d312655e41e93470d72f1.JPG

Even with quite a severe crop, this turned out to be very difficult to photoshop, but it does seem promising. Is it better though without the crop?IMG_1626.JPG.79906a7f4f3de3dd1095f80f1213e6f0.JPG

I tend to take photos in the afternoon, but that is when the sun is at its strongest and directly into the room, which is why roofs in particular get bleached out. Perhaps I should get my act in gear and get up there earlier.

Like you I would have cruel cropped - taking more off the top to get rid of all the green wall and then custom filled the, now much smaller, green chunk top left. On the left the water tower is dead space from which everything could go left of the building by the tank wagon as Is everything to the right of the signal arm. I would probably have left more than your crop on the R/h edge then filling the residual sliver. It would also look good in mono, which gets rid of the slight green tinge top right corner.

I edit the SLS Journal, this is not meant as negative criticism, it is how I would have approached cropping the above image if I’d planned to use it in the magazine. It keeps the vitals but looses the unnecessary.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, john new said:

I would have cruel cropped - taking even more off the top to get rid of all the green wall and then custom filled the, now much smaller, green chunk top left. On the left the water tower is dead space from which everything could go left of the building by the tank wagon as Is everything to the right of the signal arm.

I edit the SLS Journal, this is not meant as negative criticism, it is how I would have cropped the above image if I’d planned to use it as our cover shot. It keeps the vitals but looses the unnecessary.

John, I am very grateful for that input. There can't be anything better than the opinion of a magazine editor! Please feel free to continue to comment, as it will help me considerably.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gilbert

That last photo from Spittal Bridge is more or less as I remember it from sitting on my bike at the end of the parapet, and is so realistic. The only two bits that I am seeing standing out are the gap between the two lines on the right, and the gap behind the water tower. Have you got a suitable old photo that you could use as a backscene there? I would have thought that there should be a good few taken from that spot over the years.

Thanks again for giving me and others so much pleasure.

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I really like that Gilbert, somehow puts me in mind of Cuneo’s famous painting of Clapham Junction - but a much better engine! :) I’ve cropped it a bit tighter to see how that looked. Or maybe let the engine come a bit farther...

Excellent photo though, one of my favourites of all you’ve done!

AAD60A96-BF8B-44EE-951B-28B76A103CFC.jpeg.4037fe18c876ee732c0308c0f714a874.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

I really like that Gilbert, somehow puts me in mind of Cuneo’s famous painting of Clapham Junction - but a much better engine! :) I’ve cropped it a bit tighter to see how that looked. Or maybe let the engine come a bit farther...

Hi Gilbert 

Great Photo, I do think the cropped version looks a little better.

But a very nice photo showing the extent of your layout all the same.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, FarrMan said:

Gilbert

That last photo from Spittal Bridge is more or less as I remember it from sitting on my bike at the end of the parapet, and is so realistic. The only two bits that I am seeing standing out are the gap between the two lines on the right, and the gap behind the water tower. Have you got a suitable old photo that you could use as a backscene there? I would have thought that there should be a good few taken from that spot over the years.

Thanks again for giving me and others so much pleasure.

Lloyd

This image intrigues me Lloyd. Can you help with it. A bit of the parapet appears on it, so is it possible that someone is standing on something, and thus able to get a different angle?604770824_V2SpitalBridge.jpg.262627ca8ba0b5332024a9e45871c265.jpg

Photo is copyright of Andrew C Ingram.

This is what we'd have seen if we'd been lucky enough to be there in the mid/late 50s. It could well be 1958, as 60902 had its last general at Doncaster in Jan 57, and may still be black. Look at the horizon. I worry when I can't get it sharp, but on this and other photos it can hardly be seen. With Spital Bridge shed just to the left, and all the other smoke being produced in the area as well, is this what things looked like most of the time?

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

I see that you've retained the flock of starlings Trevor...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I see that you've retained the flock of starlings Trevor...

That's what happens when you enlarge the thing, as I well know. It also happens when I hit "sharpen" at the end of the shopping. Things then appear that I couldn't see before. It is then, of course, not possible to do any further editing.

• Friendly/supportive 3

12 hours ago, great northern said:

This image intrigues me Lloyd. Can you help with it. A bit of the parapet appears on it, so is it possible that someone is standing on something, and thus able to get a different angle?604770824_V2SpitalBridge.jpg.262627ca8ba0b5332024a9e45871c265.jpg

Photo is copyright of Andrew C Ingram.

This is what we'd have seen if we'd been lucky enough to be there in the mid/late 50s. It could well be 1958, as 60902 had its last general at Doncaster in Jan 57, and may still be black. Look at the horizon. I worry when I can't get it sharp, but on this and other photos it can hardly be seen. With Spital Bridge shed just to the left, and all the other smoke being produced in the area as well, is this what things looked like most of the time?

Gilbert

I think that the photographer must have had a step ladder. It is possible that they were particularly tall - remember that at that time I was not very tall, in fact I never have been, but it gives me the impression of being from more than just above the parapet.

There was often quite a bit of steam about, and I do not remember what was seen beyond Crescent Bridge or much of what was to the left of the station from that location, though I was of course much more interested in the trains than the surroundings at that time.

Going back to a theme of some time ago, Looking at this photo, I do not see much obvious point rodding, but what does stand out, and I also remember it now that i have been reminded, is the signal cables almost forming a fence to the right of the train. Was this the boundary between GNR and MR?

Lloyd