Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, FarrMan said:

Gilbert

I think that the photographer must have had a step ladder. It is possible that they were particularly tall - remember that at that time I was not very tall, in fact I never have been, but it gives me the impression of being from more than just above the parapet.

There was often quite a bit of steam about, and I do not remember what was seen beyond Crescent Bridge or much of what was to the left of the station from that location, though I was of course much more interested in the trains than the surroundings at that time.

Going back to a theme of some time ago, Looking at this photo, I do not see much obvious point rodding, but what does stand out, and I also remember it now that i have been reminded, is the signal cables almost forming a fence to the right of the train. Was this the boundary between GNR and MR?

Lloyd

:scared: Don't mention the point rodding Lloyd.  I really don't fancy that at all, and I don't really see how it could be done at this stage either. As to the signal cables, yes, I think you are right, those formed the boundary. Now I have thought about doing those, but 25ft of them?  That's enough to make me keep putting it off.

• Friendly/supportive 1

48 minutes ago, great northern said:

:scared: Don't mention the point rodding Lloyd.  I really don't fancy that at all, and I don't really see how it could be done at this stage either. As to the signal cables, yes, I think you are right, those formed the boundary. Now I have thought about doing those, but 25ft of them?  That's enough to make me keep putting it off.

Gilbert

I meant to imply that the point rodding, which I agree not to mention any more (!) is not noticeable in the photo, so it's omission is not important. I understand the difficulty of the signal cable, or on second thoughts, is it actually a fence? but it is more prominent. If I had the skills and was nearer to you, I would offer to do it for you, but I am sorry that both counts rule it out. Perhaps one of your very able fans will be able to help you out.

lloyd

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, great northern said:

Dear Gilbert,

While totally sympathizing with your dilemma regarding how the signalman is able to indicate to the drivers if the line is clear and which line they are going to be sent down plus how he is going to enable the trains to go different directions without signal wires and point rodding I have only one thing to say. 

Just get on with it.  

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Dear Gilbert,

While totally sympathizing with your dilemma regarding how the signalman is able to indicate to the drivers if the line is clear and which line they are going to be sent down plus how he is going to enable the trains to go different directions without signal wires and point rodding I have only one thing to say. 

Just get on with it.  

With what should I get on Clive? Doing signal wires and point rodding, or as is my wont, doing nothing?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, great northern said:

With what should I get on Clive? Doing signal wires and point rodding, or as is my wont, doing nothing?

The choice is your Gilbert, but as a viewer I think point rodding and signal wires would look good.

You are going to say next I need to add them to my train set......well sir I do not but I do need to add the point machines and trunking for the cables.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The choice is your Gilbert, but as a viewer I think point rodding and signal wires would look good.

You are going to say next I need to add them to my train set......well sir I do not but I do need to add the point machines and trunking for the cables.

They would Clive, but for a layout this size it would be an enormous task.  I know Tony W has found doing the point rodding on Little Bytham onerous enough, so I can imagine how long mine would take.  Actually, I spent time today looking at prototype photos again, which reinforced my memory that most of the rodding seems to be laid in channels, and thus is not very visible. I suspect that it would have been necessary to put the channels in before laying any track if it was to be done at all.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

So, seven and three quarter hours on the course, 14.27 miles walked, and on the 36th hole, and with the last putt............we lost. I played absolutely abysmally badly, and am now more than a trifle fatigued.

Hi Gilbert

Have you tried other hobbies which are not so frustrating like model railways....things fall off the track. Go when you don't want them to, only to realise it was your own fault. Total power failure for some unknown reason. No sympathy from anyone when you burn yourself with a hot soldering iron while under the baseboard and bang your head as you try to escape being burnt alive. Spent years building a loco only for some smart ar$e to tell you number 12345 did not have its lamp iron mounted where you have put it. See something quite relaxing.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Those are absolutely exquisite carriages. I hope you will put all three straight into service.  Notice how the panelling is correct on the corridor side of the SK’s. Hornby really messed it up on their efforts. The panelling, for the record, that I’m referring to are the end panels on the corridor side.  Hornby only had one wide panel there instead of the two smaller ones as on these excellent models, along with a ‘made up’ panel next to the first door. 

And the Tourist Buffet car is something you rarely see a model of. And definitely not to that high standard. I have a Mailcoach example, but it’s not anywhere near as good as that lovely model.

Warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, great northern said:

Earlier I spoke of goodies, and at lunchtime the postie delivered. I've waited quite a while for these, but it was well worth it. Here we go, more of the beautiful work of Ian Willets and Dave Studley to be admired.

We start with some proper Gresley all door seconds.

1504925193_1SK1.JPG.73996d425693a4d3c08bb3bb9963b6e0.JPG2118373480_2SK1otherside.JPG.a2adcb84c3e3dba33f4b115cd75673a7.JPG

There are two of these.38364150_3SK2.JPG.4877dcb14748253ded4840d6181abe88.JPG681454345_4SK2otherside.JPG.23c9362b427a02ab85810c77e374585b.JPG

I only need six more of these, at least, now.

Then we have something I've wanted for a long time. Having got rid of all the 'orrible 'ornby buffet cars, I needed one more to be able to ring the changes a bit more. The newcomer is a Dia 168 Tourist car.

185733910_5touristBuffet.JPG.5b2adf664c4cf48aa6ece9b6b4eb2331.JPG2111097584_6touristbuffet2.JPG.8a88d1d310009cbefac3095554fe6507.JPG

Lovely stuff.:sungum:

Your coaches are stunning. Like you I find that the Hornby ones are so close but a bit disappointing. Hope a retool is tackled soon.

• Agree 4