Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good to see you today, Gilbert,

And many thanks for lunch and a good chat.

I'm glad the new carriages ran well. They look entirely in-place!

Remember our talk about observation. Regarding 61828 in the picture above, is it one of the few originals which later got left-hand drive? I know some did, but it was unusual. I assume it's a Bachmann RTR loco, with the later-style cab? If so, it's unlikely to be appropriate. 

I really must seem like a bl00dy nuisance whenever I call or make observations! I could, of course, be wrong.

Regards,

Tony. 

Good to see you also Tony, and thank you for the  help and guidance. You have mentioned that K3 before, and I pleaded guilty. I wanted a Lincoln engine that I remembered, and allowed enthusiasm to override research, not for the first time.  You certainly aren't a nuisance!

I've given some thought to your suggestion about couplings, and now that I shall have some Hornby SK  becoming redundant, I could at least have a go. Would you be prepared to e-mail me an idiot's guide on how to do it please?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, great northern said:

Good to see you also Tony, and thank you for the  help and guidance. You have mentioned that K3 before, and I pleaded guilty. I wanted a Lincoln engine that I remembered, and allowed enthusiasm to override research, not for the first time.  You certainly aren't a nuisance!

I've given some thought to your suggestion about couplings, and now that I shall have some Hornby SK  becoming redundant, I could at least have a go. Would you be prepared to e-mail me an idiot's guide on how to do it please?

I'd forgotten I'd mentioned the K3 before, Gilbert; crumbling memory? 

Rather than my try and email a set of couplings' instructions over, let's fix up a time here and I'll show you how it's done.

Would you mind taking some pictures of the new cars in service, please? They looked good on LB, and I'm sure they'll look good on PN.

As I mentioned (and I hope in fairness to John Houlden), they're not in the same 'professional' class as those latest Willetts/Studley ones you've just taken delivery of (though they do have the correct 'opaque' white windows as appropriate, and footboards on the bogies), but they're considerably cheaper. That said, they've seen plenty of service on Gamston and latterly on Retford, so they're well run-in!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, great northern said:

Trying to drill out tiny lamps.:mad_mini: Not many done. Tonight's pictures again feature the A1 on the Newcastle.

1464857505_91432.JPG.ae222f22a91b6736ffba9aa9ce32a96d.JPG

1868132724_101433.JPG.595bc4834b71a36132039a375fdf2c0b.JPG

The next time you see Sir Walter Scott, he will, I promise, carry better lamps. Unless I forget, that is.

'The next time you see Sir Walter Scott, he will, I promise, carry better lamps.'

And front footsteps and a front coupling, one hopes. They must be lying around somewhere. When I'm next over, we'll fit such things back on. And evict that spider making a lasso on the loco's LH front buffer! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Hope you haven't torn an Achilles Gilbert - I did my right one ten weeks ago and its taking forever to heal!

I don't think so Peter. I did it years ago playing football,and it was agony, whereas this time I can't recall doing anything or feeling anything untoward. It is proboably back related as usual, and something trapped higher up is causing problems elsewhere.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, trw1089 said:

Hope the heel gets better soon Gilbert.  I do like the under the roof shot of No.10, it must have been a smoky noisy place when trains were running through.

I reckon it would have been smoky most of the time, but then we were used to living in smoky atmosphere if we were town or city dwellers. Think of the reaction if something like that existed now!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

This highly important question was discussed with Mick Moore at EM North only recently.  We concluded that they're tubes if they're used inside a larger piece of machinery and pipes if they aren't.

In submarines  pipes can be any shape or size. Tubes, on the other hand have doors on them and normally have torpedoes in them.. although the whole submarine is a tube. It is closed at both ends.

Baz

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Gilbert I'm glad you took the last photo, it reminds of times I've arrived on a platform or looked over the lineside fence to just miss the loco and see an interesting set of wagons trundling by. Quite evocative. To me railways are more than big express trains and named locos.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, great northern said:

Next question is "what colour should my pipes and tubes be?" While considering that, here are the photos of the formation of the 1230 Doncaster.

1625718105_rake1.JPG.5c0a07646cfad6ca831064485e5edc16.JPG805474033_rake2.JPG.6d79a1226d51f8174c85b84ad5f2ef9d.JPG265745130_rake3.JPG.f12d2df907d91ad69028855f7de61454.JPG1616639810_rake4.JPG.3c39fe460b35408d6d71b9fd0721a978.JPG1856620170_rake5.JPG.e3d8933e2d08cc6a08e890d04efd6c13.JPG1691940592_rake6.JPG.2bfa207995e7fa05d2612b8bb3a2cfb2.JPG

This can now almost be correctly modelled. The only cheat is that I've had to substitute an all door SK for a Thompson CK. Coupling incompatibility again.

Hi Gilbert

What colour? It depends on the material they have been made from, if it is fresh from the factory/steel works or if it has been in storage and was it stored in or outdoors? So greys of 50 various hues, browns and rust or if concrete a concrete colour. Then some pipes were made from clay so a glazed earthen wear brown. Must not forget a splatering of white dots on the tops where the pigeons, seagulls and crows perched on them last night while in the yard at Thornaby.

• Informative/Useful 3

16 hours ago, great northern said:

Shall we have another of those foreign visitors? This one is even more unlikely to have ever ventured within 200 miles of Peterborough.

1610305231_82421.JPG.e7edb0e953d0d891222c01f34b530ffd.JPG

Any excuse for a pre grouping 4.4.0. though.

Back to normal now, and another 9F brings empties along the Down slow.

1058333923_59F1.JPG.20f9ebba6c3640b9610424643ea306b0.JPG

Sometimes I take a photo, and then wonder later why I did it. This is one of those.

349954236_4pipes.JPG.300d8b754c824e5d6cffc418a2d1791b.JPG

Some pipes, or are they tubes?

They can't be tubes - proper colour for those is red, though nowadays they only have red on each end! The rest is white and blue....

Stewart

• Funny 2