Peterborough North

great northern

10 hours ago, great northern said:

Some black and white tonight. More coal empties, and a WD you have seen many times before.

982044941_1WD1.JPG.6035f93c05781418c10533e208e476d2.JPG

646144140_2WD2.JPG.b31f0633a5bba63191c9f0a94c2c1607.JPG

Only now does it occur to me that I bought a lens hood for shots like these.

I do like these little D30 locos, so we shall have a bonus shot of this one.

9_2421_2.JPG.cf0f462359e4214ddfe479cea74a3649.JPG

Hi Gilbert 

A great looking locomotive.

Regards

David

15 hours ago, great northern said:

Some black and white tonight. More coal empties, and a WD you have seen many times before.

982044941_1WD1.JPG.6035f93c05781418c10533e208e476d2.JPG

646144140_2WD2.JPG.b31f0633a5bba63191c9f0a94c2c1607.JPG

Only now does it occur to me that I bought a lens hood for shots like these.

I do like these little D30 locos, so we shall have a bonus shot of this one.

9_2421_2.JPG.cf0f462359e4214ddfe479cea74a3649.JPG

Gilbert

It was only withdrawn in 1960, so still running in 1958. It may have lost its way somewhere!

Re the pipes or tubes controversy, various suggestions including

1) Pipes are measured by internal diameter, tubes by external size

2) Pipes are for conveying liquids or gasses through, tubes are for structural work

I can't say that I like either particularly, but a trainload could well be a mixture of pipes and tubes. As to colour, Clive has fairly well covered it. I would add that Cast Iron pipes were spun in the Nottingham/Derby area if I remember correctly, and they tended to be painted black. They would normally have a spigot at one end, though, which would be quite fiddly to model. Larger concrete pipes would also usually have a different shaped spigot at one end.  From a couple of photos that I have looked at, both showing GWR practice though, both show the load uncovered, just chained down. One of them is tubes, but the other is cast iron pipes from Staveley Co. of Chesterfield (I think). Each of these pipes had 'STAVELEY Co.' in largish white letters on the side (Fig 299 in GWR Freight Wagons & Loads by J.H.Russell. From Chesterfield, they may well have come through Peterborough either on the ECML or Leicester to GE destinations.

Does anyone know if the Tallington precast concrete works produced pipes or other items at that time, as they may have gone by rail.

Lloyd

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, FarrMan said:

Gilbert

It was only withdrawn in 1960, so still running in 1958. It may have lost its way somewhere!

Re the pipes or tubes controversy, various suggestions including

1) Pipes are measured by internal diameter, tubes by external size

2) Pipes are for conveying liquids or gasses through, tubes are for structural work

I can't say that I like either particularly, but a trainload could well be a mixture of pipes and tubes. As to colour, Clive has fairly well covered it. I would add that Cast Iron pipes were spun in the Nottingham/Derby area if I remember correctly, and they tended to be painted black. They would normally have a spigot at one end, though, which would be quite fiddly to model. Larger concrete pipes would also usually have a different shaped spigot at one end.  From a couple of photos that I have looked at, both showing GWR practice though, both show the load uncovered, just chained down. One of them is tubes, but the other is cast iron pipes from Staveley Co. of Chesterfield (I think). Each of these pipes had 'STAVELEY Co.' in largish white letters on the side (Fig 299 in GWR Freight Wagons & Loads by J.H.Russell. From Chesterfield, they may well have come through Peterborough either on the ECML or Leicester to GE destinations.

Does anyone know if the Tallington precast concrete works produced pipes or other items at that time, as they may have gone by rail.

Lloyd

Very useful thank you Lloyd. I had assumed that Staveley would be a likely source for this traffic, and that it would come down via Colwick to New England, and then be attached to a train from there to London.  It seems I may be correct. Andy Rush told me to attach both pipes and tubes to the rear of one of my coal trains, so that is what I have done, but only several years later have I got round to giving them loads.

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The tail-lamp on the leading coach is a bit de trop......

It is Ian, but as the formation is required to run in both directions, it is correct 50% of the time, which for an idle old sod like me is just about acceptable.  Pragmatic, that's what it is. Much better description than idle, that is.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Oh goodness, that’s a most beautiful model of a Hunt, D49/2, with a correct rendition of the Lentz rotary cam poppet valve gear. It looks very much like a kit, and perfectly built and painted it is. Much better than Hornby’s attempt ever was. Thank you for posting those two photo’s of the model. 

Warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Golf club meeting earlier, and for once, some excellent news, which even our most notorious few may find difficult to moan about. Has to be ratified next Monday, but I then have the pleasure of informing them:sungum:

To celebrate, a couple more pictures.

10_D49.JPG.61471b907dfb7502102003a6057c5f46.JPG

I would think that a D49 may have occasionally been seen at PN, though the nearest were shedded at Hull or Selby. It wouldn't have been this one though, as it lived at Haymarket.

1761392074_11name.JPG.29d921d9851c41b6711f0e43a23c7846.JPG

Now listen here. I used to live in Cambridge, alongside the "loop" via St. Ives. I had my abc, and knew the names of most of the B17s at the time (though sadly didn't see many of them). How I just wished that I could see some of the nearby (in the abc book) class of D49, with the familiar names of local places. One day, my wish was nearly granted, & again a little later. I saw Rutlandshire (62729), and also The Holderness, (wherever that is) (62744). And yes I did READ the nameplates! I've never seen any mention of this elsewhere, I've even posted it to the GER Society, with the reaction that it was a spotty schoolboy error. But, years later, I met up with another local guy, who became my best mate (sadly now deceased). Guess which two locos he had also seen in Cambridge...?

Stewart

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Now listen here. I used to live in Cambridge, alongside the "loop" via St. Ives. I had my abc, and knew the names of most of the B17s at the time (though sadly didn't see many of them). How I just wished that I could see some of the nearby (in the abc book) class of D49, with the familiar names of local places. One day, my wish was nearly granted, & again a little later. I saw Rutlandshire (62729), and also The Holderness, (wherever that is) (62744). And yes I did READ the nameplates! I've never seen any mention of this elsewhere, I've even posted it to the GER Society, with the reaction that it was a spotty schoolboy error. But, years later, I met up with another local guy, who became my best mate (sadly now deceased). Guess which two locos he had also seen in Cambridge...?

Stewart

That's a real mystery Stewart. In 1959 both were shedded at Thornton Junction, so it is hard to imagine them coming south of Edinburgh, unless it was for overhaul at Darlington. Strange things did happen of course, and two of you saw the same thing independently.  What year would this have been?  It would be worth checking Trains Illustrated and Railway Observer to see if anyone reported either incident to them.

32 minutes ago, great northern said:

That's a real mystery Stewart. In 1959 both were shedded at Thornton Junction, so it is hard to imagine them coming south of Edinburgh, unless it was for overhaul at Darlington. Strange things did happen of course, and two of you saw the same thing independently.  What year would this have been?  It would be worth checking Trains Illustrated and Railway Observer to see if anyone reported either incident to them.

In North Eastern Steam Locomotive Album, by P.J. Lynch, Bradford Barton, 1975, on page 52 the author states that 'The Badsworth turned up, most unexpectedly, one day on a local passenger train in Hertfordshire'.

Exactly where, or when is not recorded.

The furthest south I ever saw the D49s was at Doncaster.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Why not put it on the RHS instead? It would be more hidden there when coupled to a loco.

Stewart

From what I can find out at the moment though, they seem to have been located on the left. Certainly that's where those supplied with Bachmann Mk1s are, so right would be wrong?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

In North Eastern Steam Locomotive Album, by P.J. Lynch, Bradford Barton, 1975, on page 52 the author states that 'The Badsworth turned up, most unexpectedly, one day on a local passenger train in Hertfordshire'.

Exactly where, or when is not recorded.

The furthest south I ever saw the D49s was at Doncaster.

Regards,

Tony. 

The Badsworth seems to have been a Scarborough engine for most of the 50s, so that's a very unlikely happening too. It does though give a hint that something was happening on an occasional basis. Borrowing maybe?  But how? 

These oddities are interesting if they can be confirmed after all this time. I'm sure D49,s could have been borrowed in an emergency,and, of course, it gives us the excuse to have them occasionally turn up at our prototype location. In my case, I have a 1957 photo of Scottish K2 Loch Laidon passing Little Benton,just north of Heaton, heading for Tyneside. Quite why an Eastfield loco was on a routine freight is puzzling, but it gives me a reason to have a go at the LRM kit again. So anything is possible..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, great northern said:

From what I can find out at the moment though, they seem to have been located on the left. Certainly that's where those supplied with Bachmann Mk1s are, so right would be wrong?

Generally they would be on the side that the guard could reach more easily, so a more-or-less random distribution would be appropriate.

• Agree 6

High level photos are obviously taken, variously, from the access walkway on the overall roof and from Crescent Bridge. 

I do like the pictures under the roof, especially now the platforms are populated.

I hadn’t noticed the point rodding, and now I can’t NOT notice it...