Peterborough North

great northern

14 hours ago, great northern said:

That's a real mystery Stewart. In 1959 both were shedded at Thornton Junction, so it is hard to imagine them coming south of Edinburgh, unless it was for overhaul at Darlington. Strange things did happen of course, and two of you saw the same thing independently.  What year would this have been?  It would be worth checking Trains Illustrated and Railway Observer to see if anyone reported either incident to them.

I reckon it must have been 1959/60 - certainly no earlier, maybe 1961 at a push. I think I have checked TI for those years many moons ago.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I reckon it must have been 1959/60 - certainly no earlier, maybe 1961 at a push. I think I have checked TI for those years many moons ago.

Rutlandshire w/d 5/61 and cut up at Darlington. Holderness w/d 12/60 and cut up at Cowlairs, so neither were for some reason sent to Stratford for disposal.  It is still a mystery.

Well, if anyone else can help narrow down the daes? They were both in service on passenger trains via the loop. So the dmus had not taken over (at least not completrly. And it was in the period when B17/B2 were common there. We moved to Cambridge when I was 9 or 10  (born 2/49), so I was still at primary school. We moved (locally this time) again after I had started High school; it was in the time of that initial move into Cambridge for definite. Now I remember being at the old primary school, before the move, and the teacher was talking of getting me to do the 11 plus exam a year early, so that should narrow it down?

Stewart

58 minutes ago, great northern said:

Rutlandshire w/d 5/61 and cut up at Darlington. Holderness w/d 12/60 and cut up at Cowlairs, so neither were for some reason sent to Stratford for disposal.  It is still a mystery.

Holderness is the area of the East Coast and surrounding low-lying agricultural hinterland N of the Humber, S of Flamborough Head 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, great northern said:

Immaculate Top Shed engines feature this morning. 60854 has arrived with ECS on its way to Doncaster.

820028696_1854.JPG.97d573f6cd38567099cf10103ac0fccc.JPG

The Up Elizabethan rolls through, Dominion of New Zealand still KX first choice for the job.

1357856537_2131.JPG.ce05140495f1bd41139d4689f46f6f71.JPG

I do like the perspective achieved in these photographs. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Some old cine of PN has turned up.

Some of it is intentionally poor quality, other bits are down to the onboard camera only writing 2fps to the card (I've checked the camera again this morning and I think it's just poorly). We have discussed having a better crack at it some time in the future.

That's very quick Andy! Many thanks. Some of it is very good, and the rest shows what can be done when we have more time, and sort the equipment properly. Lots of promise for the future, and it has made me realise why people keep asking for video footage, and that I really ought to get stuck into it a bit more myself. The WD coming past was terrific.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, great northern said:

That's very quick Andy! Many thanks. Some of it is very good, and the rest shows what can be done when we have more time, and sort the equipment properly. Lots of promise for the future, and it has made me realise why people keep asking for video footage, and that I really ought to get stuck into it a bit more myself. The WD coming past was terrific.

Even with the wonky handrail on the brake van.....:tomato:

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Some old cine of PN has turned up.

Some of it is intentionally poor quality, other bits are down to the onboard camera only writing 2fps to the card (I've checked the camera again this morning and I think it's just poorly). We have discussed having a better crack at it some time in the future.

Hi Gilbert/ Andy

I thought it was brilliant and gave the impression of watching an old cine movie, very realistic.

Also it shows just how good Gilbert’s Layout of Peterborough North is.

Thoroughly enjoyable and many thanks for posting it.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Spellcheck
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Even with the wonky handrail on the brake van.....:tomato:

Ooh, you are naughty!  I'll have you know I've been thinking about putting that right for ages.  Any more of this, and I'll send a Typhoon over. I'd prefer to send a gunboat, but I don't think the water level is high enough.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
On 02/10/2019 at 20:24, stewartingram said:

Well, if anyone else can help narrow down the daes? They were both in service on passenger trains via the loop. So the dmus had not taken over (at least not completrly. And it was in the period when B17/B2 were common there. We moved to Cambridge when I was 9 or 10  (born 2/49), so I was still at primary school. We moved (locally this time) again after I had started High school; it was in the time of that initial move into Cambridge for definite. Now I remember being at the old primary school, before the move, and the teacher was talking of getting me to do the 11 plus exam a year early, so that should narrow it down?

Stewart

1959 is most likely Stewart. By 1960 nearly all B17s and B2s had gone, and most Scottish 4.4.0s still notionally in stock were in fact stored. I've had a chance to look at my 1959 TI and RO, but there is no mention at all, so I think this will be for ever unsolved.

• Thanks 1

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 21:53, great northern said:

Good news for those who have been asking for vidoe coverage of PN. I had a very welcome visit from Andy Y today, and he brought with him some very interesting things for recording purposes.  The result was that a couple of trains ran, without falling off, and that when Andy has some spare time, we will see some views of PN that we haven't experienced before.

Tonight though you get the usual static images, which not surprisingly feature the Elizabethan again.

1151377776_3132.JPG.bd87b0056a296bc05f2f821aebc42018.JPG

I shall pretend that I am one of those lads on the end of the platform (although your layout predates me, slightly!). Many is the hour that I spent on the north end of platform 3, on a parcels barrow or BRUTE.   :D

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Great photos as ever Gilbert . I always enjoy your images.

But as another thread had canopy nudging as a sub theme, I can see this one going to hut nudging..:D

Cheers, Ade.

I think you'll find the 'nudged' hut is entirely intentional. Used by fogmen during Fog & Falling Snow, as specified by the Rule Book.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, great northern said:

In the south bay, 62530 is waiting to make the short trip down to East, and our man thought that with severe cropping there might be a good picture to be had.

994956962_10claud.JPG.f2bff84de06a6dd4061d1c9b518a8523.JPG

He was right!

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Some C16s were in store Gilbert, but not for as long a period as the Directors.

I built this kit last year and by coincidence saw the loco featured in the 1955 film Geordie whilst flicking through Freeview channels one afternoon during its construction. Starring Bill Travers as a young lad taking part in the Olympic Games in Australia in 1956 there are a few good close up shots of it at Gartmore station near Aberfoyle where Bill Travers was filmed leaving for Australia and then arriving back some time later.  

At that time 67488 was shedded at Eastfield and in late 1955 was transferred to Polmont. I have a photo of it taken at Polmont station a year or so later and decided to model that loco as it was a handy photo for the detail.

The last C16 I saw in steam was in late 1960 one overcast Saturday afternoon when, as the Hibs were playing away, a friend and I decided to take the train from Haymarket to Polmont to go round the shed and also see the handful of Directors on the deadline. By luck the loco arrived in the shed when we were walking about keeping clear of any fitters etc. who may not have been happy with unauthorised visitors.

Happy days!

Eric

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 60027Merlin said:

Some C16s were in store Gilbert, but not for as long a period as the Directors.

I built this kit last year and by coincidence saw the loco featured in the 1955 film Geordie whilst flicking through Freeview channels one afternoon during its construction. Starring Bill Travers as a young lad taking part in the Olympic Games in Australia in 1956 there are a few good close up shots of it at Gartmore station near Aberfoyle where Bill Travers was filmed leaving for Australia and then arriving back some time later.  

At that time 67488 was shedded at Eastfield and in late 1955 was transferred to Polmont. I have a photo of it taken at Polmont station a year or so later and decided to model that loco as it was a handy photo for the detail.

The last C16 I saw in steam was in late 1960 one overcast Saturday afternoon when, as the Hibs were playing away, a friend and I decided to take the train from Haymarket to Polmont to go round the shed and also see the handful of Directors on the deadline. By luck the loco arrived in the shed when we were walking about keeping clear of any fitters etc. who may not have been happy with unauthorised visitors.

Happy days!

Eric

Happy days indeed Eric, and we all have such memories, sometimes in great detail, which makes it all the ,more surprising that we can't remember what happened yesterday!

I may have got the C16 bit slightly wrong. Was it C15s that were stored for very long periods, not 16s?

• Agree 1