Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoyed the cine movie and the C16 shots, plus that lovely Newcastle relief consist.  I continue to be amazed at the happenings on PN, it is my main inspiration on here to keep at my layout.

cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

G'day Folks

I'm sure a C16 has been through Peterborough, on a Butlin's, Christmas-in-July, Ladies of Fife knitting circle day out from Inverness to Southend, 9d single 2/6d return, and many a Scot bought his wife a single ticket.

manna

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

I'm sure a C16 has been through Peterborough, on a Butlin's, Christmas-in-July, Ladies of Fife knitting circle day out from Inverness to Southend, 9d single 2/6d return, and many a Scot bought his wife a single ticket.

manna

Priceless!  That deserves a special prize.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

y have got the C16 bit slightly wrong. Was it C15s

17 hours ago, great northern said:

Happy days indeed Eric, and we all have such memories, sometimes in great detail, which makes it all the ,more surprising that we can't remember what happened yesterday!

I may have got the C16 bit slightly wrong. Was it C15s that were stored for very long periods, not 16s?

Gilbert,

By 1957 only 2 C15s were left in service working on until early 1960. I have a photo of 4 C15s in store at Riccarton. I do not know how long these were out there in that isolated area, perhaps for quite a while, as some were put in store soon after nationalisation. The leading one in the photo was withdrawn in 1956, however all 4 may have been stored there for a few years.

There were over a dozen C16s surviving in 1957 with the last three being withdrawn in early 1961. I checked my photos earlier today and have a couple of C16s in store at Longniddry keeping some Directors company. I had some notes of dates and read that at least 4 were withdrawn and lay in store for approximately 15 months before scrapping. No doubt some more were in store for a while as more of their work was being done by V1/3s and the newly introduced DMUs.

It is amazing how much detail we can recall from decades ago but not from recently. Perhaps that is just as well regarding the recent couple of Hibs' games, thinking of which, I had better get back to the layout and do some work whilst listening to the commentary of their game just now! 

Eric

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, 60027Merlin said:

y have got the C16 bit slightly wrong. Was it C15s

Gilbert,

By 1957 only 2 C15s were left in service working on until early 1960. I have a photo of 4 C15s in store at Riccarton. I do not know how long these were out there in that isolated area, perhaps for quite a while, as some were put in store soon after nationalisation. The leading one in the photo was withdrawn in 1956, however all 4 may have been stored there for a few years.

There were over a dozen C16s surviving in 1957 with the last three being withdrawn in early 1961. I checked my photos earlier today and have a couple of C16s in store at Longniddry keeping some Directors company. I had some notes of dates and read that at least 4 were withdrawn and lay in store for approximately 15 months before scrapping. No doubt some more were in store for a while as more of their work was being done by V1/3s and the newly introduced DMUs.

It is amazing how much detail we can recall from decades ago but not from recently. Perhaps that is just as well regarding the recent couple of Hibs' games, thinking of which, I had better get back to the layout and do some work whilst listening to the commentary of their game just now! 

Eric

Held to a draw by nine men Eric!  Footy can be annoying sometimes, can't it?  My lot beat the might of Sunderland, so I'm well pleased.

It occurs to me that I could have asked you about the vexed question of scottish D49s turning up in East Anglia, we think almost certainly in 1959. Both of those Stewart remembers seeing were then Thornton Junction engines, and from what I read in the journals of the time, it was getting rare to see a 4.4.0. in action.  Do you remember if 62A D49s were still working in 59?  It still wouldn't account for them being on passenger work so far away, but it would fill in another small piece in the jigsaw.

3 hours ago, great northern said:

But is that last shot of Silver Fox better if even more heavily cropped?

52068731_15174.JPG.f7b1c06af823e728fbd4b99e175cad3f.JPG

Anyway, time for Deltic to make its return trip to London. A head on view mainly to show that it now has some lamps, but I still can't find the rest of the front end detailing stuff.

774130312_17deltic1.JPG.17cf4c573dc4bf5315000e860a125ba2.JPG

Hi Gilbert 

I do like the head on photo of Silver Fox, really nice angle to show of your layout and locos at their best.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Held to a draw by nine men Eric!  Footy can be annoying sometimes, can't it?  My lot beat the might of Sunderland, so I'm well pleased.

It occurs to me that I could have asked you about the vexed question of scottish D49s turning up in East Anglia, we think almost certainly in 1959. Both of those Stewart remembers seeing were then Thornton Junction engines, and from what I read in the journals of the time, it was getting rare to see a 4.4.0. in action.  Do you remember if 62A D49s were still working in 59?  It still wouldn't account for them being on passenger work so far away, but it would fill in another small piece in the jigsaw.

Gilbert,

Some 62A D49s were still running in 1959. I have 3 underlined in my Ian Allan book. No doubt I missed a few others. For your information The Cleveland and The Holderness were the only 2 D49/2 Hunts based in Scotland.

D49/1 62729 Rutlandshire, was in Darlington in 1957 for a heavy repair.

D49/2 62744 The Holderness was in Darlington for repair in 1954 and Gateshead in 1956.

I have a listing of locos definitely seen on The Waverley Route and a handful of 62A D49s are on it. In addition some Haymarket D49/1 s, its solitary D49/2 and some St. Margaret's D49/1s are listed as running over the Border Counties line on Newcastle workings along with two 62A D49s. They may have been in a St. Margaret's diagram and “borrowed”?

I cannot think of any another reason as to why the 2 locos referred to in the earlier post being seen further south. Haymarket was not keen on their locos being borrowed at Gateshead and Heaton for working turns further south plus on the ECML the majority of workings between Edinburgh to Newcastle, whether passenger or freight, the locos used were of the major classes.

62729 was transferred to St. Margaret's from Thornton in April 1960 and was withdrawn in May 1961

62744 was transferred to Hawick from Thornton in April 1960 and was withdrawn in December of that year.

“Never say never” as the saying goes, there is no record of what ran everywhere on every day!

It was a crazy day for the Hi-bees, one up playing against 10 men then losing a goal in 86 minutes with plenty chances being missed over the whole game. The second Aberdeen player sent off was in the last minute of extra time which just added to the craziness yesterday. Football can drive us round the bend! (Model railways as well).

Eric

• RMweb Premium

Is there such a thing as social mixed foursomes?  I used to play quite a lot of betterball mixed, and usuually enjoyed it, but foursomes.:O I'll never forget hitting the longest drive I ever managed on our 16th hole. My poor partner was so scared of messing up after a shot like that, she missed the ball completely.

On 04/10/2019 at 04:37, great northern said:

Regulations required the banker to assist only as far as the end of the platform, and the driver of the N5 has complied.599820121_9bankerdetaching.JPG.fc2184b0fc1d27fe2e4f29f1ca481fea.JPG

In the south bay, 62530 is waiting to make the short trip down to East, and our man thought that with severe cropping there might be a good picture to be had.

994956962_10claud.JPG.f2bff84de06a6dd4061d1c9b518a8523.JPG

This thread certainly brings some old memories back to me and the upper picture of the banker coming off kind of  resolves a life long puzzle.

I have only once in my life stood on the Down platform at PN ( apart from once watching an engine change on a train I was on) , and on that one occasion only one express came through , and stopped pulled by what you engagingly call the “blue meanie “ , although I had a less polite term for it at the time.

What shocked me was that an N2 came and buffered up at the back and have it a shove on its way. This puzzled me because I’d never seen trains banked out of Kings X or any of the London termini except  really heavy trains out of Waterloo and Victoria ( being unaware of Exeter Central shenanigans at the time). I thought for some reason it was a one off until your caption told me it was in the regulations.

So that raises the question why was a banker necessary ? Forgive my ignorance of a station I’m not very familiar with.

Incidentally,  the Deltic referred to above only had ten on.I have always habitually counted coaches (Saddo^_^) and the train was fully in the platform , as was the N2banker.

Can you enlighten us on the purpose of the regulation , as much longer trains got out of KX without bankers .

Thanks

Edited by jazzer

3 hours ago, great northern said:

Is there such a thing as social mixed foursomes?  I used to play quite a lot of betterball mixed, and usuually enjoyed it, but foursomes.:O I'll never forget hitting the longest drive I ever managed on our 16th hole. My poor partner was so scared of messing up after a shot like that, she missed the ball completely.

My mistake - its actually 4BBB - wasn't thinking clearly early this am, been operating at an exhibition in the Mid North of South Australia for the last two days - only 4 layouts, 3 of which were quality South Australian outline layouts and the other a quality small LMS layout - all built by one person, or in the case of the one large layout by the group he's involved with.  We were rostered to operate all 4 so quite a bit of learning to do as I didn't know the large layout as an operator, despite having seen it many times!

Andrew

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

My mistake - its actually 4BBB - wasn't thinking clearly early this am, been operating at an exhibition in the Mid North of South Australia for the last two days - only 4 layouts, 3 of which were quality South Australian outline layouts and the other a quality small LMS layout - all built by one person, or in the case of the one large layout by the group he's involved with.  We were rostered to operate all 4 so quite a bit of learning to do as I didn't know the large layout as an operator, despite having seen it many times!

Andrew

That's a relief Andrew. I fear that regular mixed foursomes where married couples or partners are involved would result in a large increase in relationship breakdowns, and the divorce rate.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jazzer said:

This thread certainly brings some old memories back to me and the upper picture of the banker coming off kind of  resolves a life long puzzle.

I have only once in my life stood on the Down platform at PN ( apart from once watching an engine change on a train I was on) , and on that one occasion only one express came through , and stopped pulled by what you engagingly call the “blue meanie “ , although I had a less polite term for it at the time.

What shocked me was that an N2 came and buffered up at the back and have it a shove on its way. This puzzled me because I’d never seen trains banked out of Kings X or any of the London termini except  really heavy trains out of Waterloo and Victoria ( being unaware of Exeter Central shenanigans at the time). I thought for some reason it was a one off until your caption told me it was in the regulations.

So that raises the question why was a banker necessary ? Forgive my ignorance of a station I’m not very familiar with.

Incidentally,  the Deltic referred to above only had ten on.I have always habitually counted coaches (Saddo^_^) and the train was fully in the platform , as was the N2banker.

Can you enlighten us on the purpose of the regulation , as much longer trains got out of KX without bankers .

Thanks

My information as to banking comes from a 1955 article in Trains Illustrated by G Freeman Allen, in which he states that "all trains leaving the Down platform for the North loaded above twelve bogies are banked out to the platform end, to assist starting on the curve".  My visits to PN were very few, and when I was very young, but I do remember the C12s buffering up behind some trains and starting away when they did.

There's no getting away from the fact that the Pacifics and V2s could slip very spectacularly on starting, except with a very expert driver, so moving away from Platform 3, more or less straight on to the dogs leg curve, would have been challenging, and no doubt practical experience would have been the cause of the regulation. Once it existed therefore, "jobsworth" would dictate that it must be observed, except when it wasn't. Why Deltic should be included at all is a mystery, as I don't think it was prone to slipping at all, and certainly not with only ten on.

As to the situation at KX, I believe that either the engine that had brought in the ECS, or the main line engine trapped at the buffers behind the stock, did in fact give a shove to help departures, once again, if my memory is correct, as far as the platform ends.

Blue meanie comes from the Beatles cartoon film, the title of which escapes me, and I can't be ar#ed to look it up. It just seemed rather appropriate to me.

2 minutes ago, great northern said:

Blue meanie comes from the Beatles cartoon film, the title of which escapes me, and I can't be ar#ed to look it up. It just seemed rather appropriate to me.

Yellow Submarine - I think everyone involved in that one had to be on some sort of assisted creativity substance.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

22 minutes ago, great northern said:

My information as to banking comes from a 1955 article in Trains Illustrated by G Freeman Allen, in which he states that "all trains leaving the Down platform for the North loaded above twelve bogies are banked out to the platform end, to assist starting on the curve".  My visits to PN were very few, and when I was very young, but I do remember the C12s buffering up behind some trains and starting away when they did.

There's no getting away from the fact that the Pacifics and V2s could slip very spectacularly on starting, except with a very expert driver, so moving away from Platform 3, more or less straight on to the dogs leg curve, would have been challenging, and no doubt practical experience would have been the cause of the regulation. Once it existed therefore, "jobsworth" would dictate that it must be observed, except when it wasn't. Why Deltic should be included at all is a mystery, as I don't think it was prone to slipping at all, and certainly not with only ten on.

As to the situation at KX, I believe that either the engine that had brought in the ECS, or the main line engine trapped at the buffers behind the stock, did in fact give a shove to help departures, once again, if my memory is correct, as far as the platform ends.

The jobsworth requiring Deltic to be banked, may have had good reasons. If the Wheelslip indications were not reliable a Traction Inspector or Driver would be cautious.  Wheelslip can cause a lot of damage to the railhead if it is not a stopped quickly enough.  In which case the P/way Inspector would be going Nuts!

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4