Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

The jobsworth requiring Deltic to be banked, may have had good reasons. If the Wheelslip indications were not reliable a Traction Inspector or Driver would be cautious.  Wheelslip can cause a lot of damage to the railhead if it is not a stopped quickly enough.  In which case the P/way Inspector would be going Nuts!

Paul

Thanks Paul. It is always worth having all the facts before expressing opinions, isn't it?  I wasn't aware of that, and so of course hadn't taken it into account at all. Now I think about it, I have heard stories about excessive wheel slip causing indentations in the rails.

Wheelslip is not very good for the Rolling Stock wheels either as they are made from softer metal than the rails as it's easier to change a pair of wheels than a length of rail. It produces flats on the wheels and can give a very uncomfortable ride for the

unsuspecting passengers. Many a rough ride on the dear old A60's down from Amersham to Ricky. One couldn't read the FT or in my case the "Sun" :wub:

regards,Derek

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Many a rough ride on the dear old A60's down from Amersham to Ricky. One couldn't read the FT or in my case the "Sun" :wub:

The prospect of those things on page 3 bouncing around is indeed awful. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

On 07/10/2019 at 05:26, Flying Fox 34F said:

The jobsworth requiring Deltic to be banked, may have had good reasons. If the Wheelslip indications were not reliable a Traction Inspector or Driver would be cautious.  Wheelslip can cause a lot of damage to the railhead if it is not a stopped quickly enough.  In which case the P/way Inspector would be going Nuts!

Paul

Its beginning to make a bit of sense now. If a Deltic, which had a better adhesion factor than probably anything else at the time could slip to the extent of damaging the track I suppose , anything else could.  I certainly don’t remember anything being banked out of KX , although it’s a long time ago and I was very young . I just wonder whether there was something about the way the track was laid at PN , or worn out and not yet replaced in in 50’s that contributed to slipping, but I guess we’ll never know now. 

1 hour ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Jazzer,

Most likely reason is the geometry of the curves in and out of Peterborough North at the time with the 20mph Speed limit.

Paul

Yes. I am not that familiar with PN as it was so can’t picture it in my mind . Thanks for the background.

On 07/10/2019 at 18:26, Oldddudders said:

The prospect of those things on page 3 bouncing around is indeed awful. 

Ian,

are you an Ophthalmic Consultant by any chance (since you left the Railway) as I think you have just diagnosed why I have an  eye condition. A Misspent Youth and Middle age.:D

Regards,Derek.

Edited by CUTLER2579
Spelt Eye incorrectly whilst thinking of Sam Fox x x x
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bill37 said:

That under-roof shot is very good, like the shafts of light from the roof.

Bill.

We have reached the time of year when the sun in low enough to come into the room at this angle. Most of the time that is a pain, but occasionally, as here, it works in my favour.

• Like 3

On 08/10/2019 at 21:51, great northern said:

Nothing more exciting than an Ivatt waiting to go to Kings Lynn to catch the photographer's eye at present.

752621463_5ivatt.JPG.24a97fbba2120275a1dd340bd81ec0e0.JPG

but that soon changes, as Sir Nigel Gresley brings the Flying Scotsman through.

2050622005_171.JPG.abc6e505327b3509b44e86816be14d6b.JPG

Sir N is a bit hemmed in here.

First golf for three weeks today,which, coupled with a restless night just past, leaves me thinking longingly of bedtime.

Along with a Claud, B17 and a J15 a photo of a 4mt is always worth seeing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, great northern said:

The photographer can now stay where he is, and let his subjects come to him.

1877327093_4near.JPG.415b8f20c94e9f2d4b120c16e507aaae.JPG

though for some reason, this one isn't quite sharp. Then, stroll down to the other end of the platform, wait a little while, and Mons Meg brings in the stock for the 3.58 to Grantham.

749420015_5meg.JPG.2742ff78be63ccceeb27f8078c1ce077.JPG

See what I mean about the angle of the sun?:mad_mini:

Hi Gilbert

It’s a shame about being slightly out of focus but a brilliant photo all the same.

This photo taken again in focus would be well worth printing and framing on the wall of your layout room.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/10/2019 at 15:33, jazzer said:

Yes. I am not that familiar with PN as it was so can’t picture it in my mind . Thanks for the background.

I've had a look for a photo which shows the view from the cab of a loco at the end of Platform 3 whick might show what the driver saw in front of him. No success with that yet, but here is a rather striking shot, copyright of Andrew C Ingram, that shows the effect that sometimes occurred.

img20191010_10264660.jpg.24596d6a62b01b137770e4a09e812194.jpg

It can be seen that the train is on the first part of the curve as soon as it leaves the platform. That wouldn't of itself be too much of a problem. though it was for this driver, but by the time it gets to Spital Bridge, part of the load is still on the dogs leg, and that I think is where the major problem lies.

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert

It’s a shame about being slightly out of focus but a brilliant photo all the same.

This photo taken again in focus would be well worth printing and framing on the wall of your layout room.

Regards

David

Strictly speaking, the picture in question is not actually 'out of focus', David,

It's suffered from 'camera shake' during the exposure. Hence, the 'ghost' duplication of SIR NIGEL's front numberplate. No alteration of the focusing on the camera's lens will be necessary for a re-shoot. 

Pin-sharp, it should be very-effective. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 08/10/2019 at 21:51, great northern said:

Nothing more exciting than an Ivatt waiting to go to Kings Lynn to catch the photographer's eye at present.

752621463_5ivatt.JPG.24a97fbba2120275a1dd340bd81ec0e0.JPG

You write that, but what I wouldn't give to have the M&GN route still operational today: the tiny village stations culled, and shuttles - probably DMUs - every hour between Peterborough, Lynn and Norwich (we'd probably have to sacrifice Yarmouth, but that never made any sense as the terminus of a major cross-country route while Norwich was treated as an unimportant branch)...

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Strictly speaking, the picture in question is not actually 'out of focus', David,

It's suffered from 'camera shake' during the exposure. Hence, the 'ghost' duplication of SIR NIGEL's front numberplate. No alteration of the focusing on the camera's lens will be necessary for a re-shoot. 

Pin-sharp, it should be very-effective. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I'm puzzled as to how the camera managed to shake though Tony. It was placed on the platform, and set for five seconds delay before the shot was taken, so it should have been perfectly still by that time.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fenman said:

You write that, but what I wouldn't give to have the M&GN route still operational today: the tiny village stations culled, and shuttles - probably DMUs - every hour between Peterborough, Lynn and Norwich (we'd probably have to sacrifice Yarmouth, but that never made any sense as the terminus of a major cross-country route while Norwich was treated as an unimportant branch)...

Paul

Just me being selfish there Paul. It gets very predictable that every M&GN train will have an Ivatt to haul it, whereas a few years earlier there was much more variety both in terms of loco and stock. I wasn't thinking of the wider implications at all.