Peterborough North

great northern

8 hours ago, FarrMan said:

I didn't think that the class 40's could do 90. I though the best that they could do was about 75 or 80? Thankfully they did not last very long on the ECML.

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

The class 40’s were a bit of an enigma in a way. Far too heavy and basically superseded in performances by the Class 47’s that came about 4 years later and which were both more powerful and lighter.  The  class 40’s were rated at 90 mph maximum which they were able to achieve on Liverpool St - Norwich where loads were usually 9 coaches. However British Railways had these new diesels which were really no better in terms of performance than the steam locos they were intended to replace, and in some cases worse but still had to promote the Modernisation Scheme. It was one thing to match a Class 7 out of Liverpool St but something quite different to put them in place of a Class 8 on a heavy train on the ECML or WCML .  There are records of Class 40s struggling over Shap losing time with 15 coaches on the drawbar, while a Duchess which was specifically designed to cope with 15 coaches over Shap was following behind with an lightweight 8 coach relief which hardly taxed it at all. Such was the befuddled thinking in some parts of British Railways management in the early days of the Modernisation Scheme.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

Gilbert, could I trouble you for the Diagram of the Gresley 3 Compartment Brake in the last picture. I know it's not a Dia. 175 but other than that I am struggling.My only idea is a Diagram 174,but that's grasping at straws a little.

Regards,Derek.

Edited by CUTLER2579
Added a Guess..

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Gilbert, could I trouble you for the Diagram of the Gresley 3 Compartment Brake in the last picture. I know it's not a Dia. 175 but other than that I am struggling.My only idea is a Diagram 174,but that's grasping at straws a little.

Regards,Derek.

It is Comet based Derek, and described as Dia 40A/174, so you were grasping at the right straw.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jazzer said:

Hi Lloyd,

The class 40’s were a bit of an enigma in a way. Far too heavy and basically superseded in performances by the Class 47’s that came about 4 years later and which were both more powerful and lighter.  The  class 40’s were rated at 90 mph maximum which they were able to achieve on Liverpool St - Norwich where loads were usually 9 coaches. However British Railways had these new diesels which were really no better in terms of performance than the steam locos they were intended to replace, and in some cases worse but still had to promote the Modernisation Scheme. It was one thing to match a Class 7 out of Liverpool St but something quite different to put them in place of a Class 8 on a heavy train on the ECML or WCML .  There are records of Class 40s struggling over Shap losing time with 15 coaches on the drawbar, while a Duchess which was specifically designed to cope with 15 coaches over Shap was following behind with an lightweight 8 coach relief which hardly taxed it at all. Such was the befuddled thinking in some parts of British Railways management in the early days of the Modernisation Scheme.

From all the recorded logs of journeys I've seen they certainly didn't seem to be any imprvement on a Pacific in reasonable condition. I do wonder though if there was another factor to consider. Sitting in the cab of a Type 4, however underpowered, must have seemed rather nice than when compared with with being thrown about on a rough riding steam engine, so how much influence might their views have had, via the unions, of course?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, great northern said:

From all the recorded logs of journeys I've seen they certainly didn't seem to be any imprvement on a Pacific in reasonable condition. I do wonder though if there was another factor to consider. Sitting in the cab of a Type 4, however underpowered, must have seemed rather nice than when compared with with being thrown about on a rough riding steam engine, so how much influence might their views have had, via the unions, of course?

What constitutes rough riding was a bit of a subjective test, depending on what people were used to. For example , the Stratford men thought the  Britannias were wonderful after their rough old B17’s but the Old Oak Common men thought they were awful compared to their Castles !  

I have never ridden on a steam engine at speed but I once had a cab ride in a class 47 to Manningtree and another one back to Liverpool St and both were kind of Ok but it wasn’t like riding in a coach. 

Driver Joe Duddington when describing his world record breaking run on Mallard said the ride started to get very rough at 70mph but as the speed rose Mallard became very smooth and started to glide over the track , so make what you will of that !

Incidentally, there is an excellent  BTC video on YouTube called “ Elizabethan Express”  describing every aspect of the Elizbethans journey in 1953 .There are some great shots in the cab during and after the crew change which seems to show the cab remarkably  smooth, clean and tidy, and the fireman , Mungo Scot is wearing, not boots but immaculate brogue shoes , which he somehow managed to keep clean while firing so cab  conditions couldn’t have been that bad !

Edited by jazzer
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jazzer said:

What constitutes rough riding was a bit of a subjective test, depending on what people were used to. For example , the Stratford men thought the  Britannias were wonderful after their rough old B17’s but the Old Oak Common men thought they were awful compared to their Castles !  

I have never ridden on a steam engine at speed but I once had a cab ride in a class 47 to Manningtree and another one back to Liverpool St and both were kind of Ok but it wasn’t like riding in a coach. 

Driver Joe Duddington when describing his world record breaking run on Mallard said the ride started to get very rough at 70mph but as the speed rose Mallard became very smooth and started to glide over the track , so make what you will of that !

Incidentally, there is an excellent  BTC video on YouTube called “ Elizabethan Express”  describing every aspect of the Elizbethans journey in 1953 .There are some great shots in the cab during and after the crew change which seems to show the cab remarkably  smooth, clean and tidy, and the fireman , Mungo Scot is wearing, not boots but immaculate brogue shoes , which he somehow managed to keep clean while firing so cab  conditions couldn’t have been that bad !

G'day Folks

Have had Many class 47 cab rides, I always found them to be very steady riders, but then I was working on the ECML. The 47's had a gentle 'rock/sway' when moving, Class 31's were pretty good as well, class 46's, good ride and quiet. class 40, Bit on the uncomfortable side, not bad riding. Deltic's, didn't like them much, but they had speed.

manna

PS. I did hear of a story, how true I don't know, A driver was booked a Diesel loco and turned up for work with 'Carpet' slippers on, but the Diesel failed, and they gave him a Pacific, the Air went 'Blue'.

Edited by manna
Added interest.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, manna said:

PS. I did hear of a story, how true I don't know, A driver was booked a Diesel loco and turned up for work with 'Carpet' slippers on, but the Diesel failed, and they gave him a Pacific, the Air went 'Blue'.

I seem to recall this story, and the version I read was that the driver was booked for one or both of the ex LMS diesels 10000 oe 10001,  which failed, and he had to work the turn was 71000,  Duke Of Gloucester, which was then greatly disliked by most of not all Crewe North men.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

Have had Many class 47 cab rides, I always found them to be very steady riders, but then I was working on the ECML. The 47's had a gentle 'rock/sway' when moving, Class 31's were pretty good as well, class 46's, good ride and quiet. class 40, Bit on the uncomfortable side, not bad riding. Deltic's, didn't like them much, but they had speed.

manna

Hi Terry

You can wear your carpet slippers when driving the Peterborough North locomotives. Gilbert's cleaning lady does a good job of hiding his stuff tidying up his mess.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Terry

You can wear your carpet slippers when driving the Peterborough North locomotives. Gilbert's cleaning lady does a good job of hiding his stuff tidying up his mess.

All cleaning ladies are totally banned from entering the railway room Clive. I shudder to think what chaos they might cause. I have a new lady actually, 30 years younger than the last one, rather decorative, and much better at heeding the instructions she is given. No, not that sort:warning:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I was woken up very early by the environment agency telephoning me to prepare for a flood.......I did and went back to bed.

That's strange. I find I have to get up in the night now to avoid a flood.

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1