Peterborough North

great northern

Gilbert - as I tend to lurk rather than contribute, I am sure that I speak for many when I say "thank you" for all your pictures and general information about Peterborough North;  I am amazed you ever find time to run trains, but I do so enjoy my twice-daily visits.

I have had the same problem as you - I have just painted a chassis with Flat Black - I was not anticipating it would come up all shiny...........

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Weren't J83s inside cylindered?

13 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Apparently...

Regards

Julian

Oh Lord, I've done it again. I even got an Ian Allan out to make sure I got it right, and then ....... I didn't. I was looking at the wrong page. It's a J88. Scrub all that cr*p about station pilots. I wonder what I did with the photo of the J83 though.:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Isn't this one the most superb layouts ever, apart from the missing steam and smoke,,,,,,,you would swear you were at the  lineside.....Mike

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

I love the angle of the first photo of Wild Swan. Maybe if you photoshopped the back scene out and added a sky in and cropped the photo a bit, it might look better?

Something like this perhaps

D163B1E2-682A-43C5-A2E0-1FF44002F5CE.jpeg.d6924b7203bd481d0472b8f5f473db01.jpeg

HTH,

Jamie

Edited by JamieR4489
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

I love the angle of the first photo of Wild Swan. Maybe if you photoshopped the back scene out and added a sky in and cropped the photo a bit, it might look better?

HTH,

Jamie

You and I have been thinking along the same lines, actually!  I did experiment with tighter crops, but I found I then lost some of the better features of the original. The one thing we both seem to have given up on is shopping the backscene, as it merges so successfully into the side of the A4. Thanks for taking the time to do this though, it is always helpful to get alternative suggestions.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A quick question, have you ever posted a stock list?

I would be particularly interested to know which locos are kits, which are RTR (makes and if and how they have been modified).

I am sure that the carriages would also make for a very interesting read.

I quite understand if you prefer not to post something like this for security reasons, also if such a list doesn’t exist, I would quite understand it being a pain to sit down and type it all out.

My apologies of I have missed this in a past post.

Thank you posting so many updates and photographs, seeing a layout like yours is such an inspiration.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Jamiel said:

A quick question, have you ever posted a stock list?

I would be particularly interested to know which locos are kits, which are RTR (makes and if and how they have been modified).

I am sure that the carriages would also make for a very interesting read.

I quite understand if you prefer not to post something like this for security reasons, also if such a list doesn’t exist, I would quite understand it being a pain to sit down and type it all out.

My apologies of I have missed this in a past post.

Thank you posting so many updates and photographs, seeing a layout like yours is such an inspiration.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Good questions!  I have some lists, but they aren't very up to date, and as you say, I wouldn't really want to publish them on here, or anywhere else for that matter.

I'll do my best to give you an idea though. At last count there were 158 locos, of which 25 are kit or scratch built, so around 80% RTR, mainly Hornby or Bachmann. I take the view that most modern RTR is now so good that where it is available, I will go down that route. My kit building days are long gone, through a combination of failing faculties, and lack of physical dexterity, and cost certainly comes into the equation as well.

Many locos have been weathered, mainly by Tim Easter. Again, he is much better at that than I could ever be. We do aim for individuality, and, as far as possible, fidelity to prototype. I have over half the class of A4s now. Hornby's model is very good, and the cost of buidling them from kits, even if I could do it myself, would be prohibitive. The same applies to most other classes of loco.

Carriages?  That spreadsheet is well out of date, but the same principles apply. I must have well over 200 MK1s, but I'm not going to try to count them all. The vast majority are Bachmann, though as Hornby have improved some of theirs have appeared too. Again, who would want to build that number?

Gresley stock is increasing gradually, most of that being kit built, and there are Thompsons in some numbers, mainly kit built again. My recent efforts with cassettes and loose stock are designed to make the stock do plenty of work to justify its cost, and that seems to be working well.

Goods stock is almost all RTR. I didn't mind individually weathering 42 empty minerals for one train, but I could not have raised the energy to build them, and why should I anyway? My weathering philosophy, by the way, is that the cheaper it it, the more likely I am to tackle it. The less expensive mistakes may be, the less stress for me, which matters.

That's it, really. As you know, I do photograph complete formations now and then, and that's probably the best way to see exactly what there is.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

3 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

HTH,

Jamie

Hi

Great photo, lovely angle and the crop only improves it as well.

Regards

David

• RMweb Gold

The occasional 'warts and all' photo of the layout, as in the backscene photos, is good for reminding us that even the best models are only that. It also makes it clear just how skilled is the general level of photography on this thread. We are visually conned by carefully selected views and photoshopping - and long may it continue. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Hi Jamie,

Good questions!  I have some lists, but they aren't very up to date, and as you say, I wouldn't really want to publish them on here, or anywhere else for that matter.

I'll do my best to give you an idea though. At last count there were 158 locos, of which 25 are kit or scratch built, so around 80% RTR, mainly Hornby or Bachmann. I take the view that most modern RTR is now so good that where it is available, I will go down that route. My kit building days are long gone, through a combination of failing faculties, and lack of physical dexterity, and cost certainly comes into the equation as well.

Many locos have been weathered, mainly by Tim Easter. Again, he is much better at that than I could ever be. We do aim for individuality, and, as far as possible, fidelity to prototype. I have over half the class of A4s now. Hornby's model is very good, and the cost of buidling them from kits, even if I could do it myself, would be prohibitive. The same applies to most other classes of loco.

Carriages?  That spreadsheet is well out of date, but the same principles apply. I must have well over 200 MK1s, but I'm not going to try to count them all. The vast majority are Bachmann, though as Hornby have improved some of theirs have appeared too. Again, who would want to build that number?

Gresley stock is increasing gradually, most of that being kit built, and there are Thompsons in some numbers, mainly kit built again. My recent efforts with cassettes and loose stock are designed to make the stock do plenty of work to justify its cost, and that seems to be working well.

Goods stock is almost all RTR. I didn't mind individually weathering 42 empty minerals for one train, but I could not have raised the energy to build them, and why should I anyway? My weathering philosophy, by the way, is that the cheaper it it, the more likely I am to tackle it. The less expensive mistakes may be, the less stress for me, which matters.

That's it, really. As you know, I do photograph complete formations now and then, and that's probably the best way to see exactly what there is.

Thank you for such a detailed answer, and I quite understand that posting a detailed list is not a good idea in such a public place.

You also make me feel a lot better about how many locos I have even if it is not as many as your collection. You do run a very accurate timetable, so the need for your stock is understandable.

Thank you again for sharing your wonderful layout with everyone here.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The occasional 'warts and all' photo of the layout, as in the backscene photos, is good for reminding us that even the best models are only that. It also makes it clear just how skilled is the general level of photography on this thread. We are visually conned by carefully selected views and photoshopping - and long may it continue. 

"visually conned" - I like that Ian. You are spot on too, as usual. I always try to present it in the best light possible, and the very kind comments are appreciated, but there are plenty of better model railways than this out there.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, great northern said:

"visually conned" - I like that Ian. You are spot on too, as usual. I always try to present it in the best light possible, and the very kind comments are appreciated, but there are plenty of better model railways than this out there.

I may be being "visually conned" but as far as I am concerned the photography and modelling on this layout is as close to reality as it gets............brilliant stuff!

Rgds.......Mike

Edited by ikks
missed a bit
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1