Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Gilbert,

I seem to remember having thus this debate with ‘34A’  on your thread a couple of years ago.  I think he said that, while the prototype d.167 was 33 tons, the production ones were 34 tons, and that when 34 tons is shown in the carriage workings then that probably indicates a d.167. I also think that the GN section mainly had tourist buffets (I.e. d.168) while the NE section tended to have standard Teak buffets (d.167 as Hornby). 

If I’m right then this train should have a d.167 buffet and as the stock starts the day in York, that seems to fit. It’s certainly what I run in my version of the 1605. I may replace it with a d.275 when I get round to building one as I think this is the train that Carter said one worked on in his Backtrack guide to buffet cars (could be wrong on that though as I’m away and don’t have the reference material).

I think the d.168s would be more typical on GN section originating trains such as the Cleethorpes services.

Regards

Andy

I hoped you would join in on this one Andy. As it is raining hard and nearly dark, I've done a bit of armchair analysis, rather than running trains. Here is the result:-

Shown as 33 ton RBs

7.30 Up Grantham, and 1040 return

8.23 Up Cleethorpes and 1615 return

8.20 Dn Doncaster, return on 1230 Up Hull.

Shown as 34 ton RB

7.43 Up York, and 1605 return.

I've looked at the Carter article, and he does indeed say that one of the Dia 275 cars was used in the 1605 "from 1958".  The summer 58 official book though still shows a 34 ton car with 24 seats, which is more seating than Dia 275, so I wonder if that change commenced with the 58 winter timetable.

What has surprised me is how few formations containing RBs there actually were. I feel as though I am constantly using them, but clearly I'm wrong.

I shall now return to calculating how many angels will fit  onto the top of a pin.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, great northern said:

I hoped you would join in on this one Andy. As it is raining hard and nearly dark, I've done a bit of armchair analysis, rather than running trains. Here is the result:-

Shown as 33 ton RBs

Shown as 34 ton RB

I've looked at the Carter article, and he does indeed say that one of the Dia 275 cars was used in the 1605 "from 1958".  The summer 58 official book though still shows a 34 ton car with 24 seats, which is more seating than Dia 275, so I wonder if that change commenced with the 58 winter timetable.

What has surprised me is how few formations containing RBs there actually were. I feel as though I am constantly using them, but clearly I'm wrong.

I shall now return to calculating how many angels will fit  onto the top of a pin.

Gilbert

To save you the bother, as angels do not have a physical body, then the answer would be equal to the area of the pin head divided by the area of each angel which is zero. Therefore the answer would be infinite.

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Gilbert

To save you the bother, as angels do not have a physical body, then the answer would be equal to the area of the pin head divided by the area of each angel which is zero. Therefore the answer would be infinite.

Lloyd

But I've watched some of these TV programmes where blokes do very long equations on blackboards about the universe and everything, and if the result they get is infinity, they get cross and say that can't be right.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, great northern said:

Shown as 33 ton RBs

Shown as 34 ton RB

Gilbert,

I think that that confirms my suggestion - GN originating stock = tourist buffet ; NE originating = teak buffet. 

As for the D.275, I think we concluded last time that it may have worked the train, but probably only very briefly, so you’re quite entitled to ignore it and I think I’m entitled to put it in as a bit of variety should I ever get ‘ roundtuit’

regards

Andy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Tonight, we have a Derby Lightweight Diesel Multiple Unit arriving from Skegness. I am now very careful not to introduce such visitors in a way which might be considered derogatory, as I have no wish to upset Clive.

1712347901_17DMU.JPG.86bf2a61f84211b90e03538aa33e5e77.JPG

There is also now a 4F at Platform 6, which will soon head off to Leicester.

786418670_184F.JPG.3403cda26895c1dc3fce09a5da1b8e9f.JPG

Now I keep my fingers crossed until Monday, as this evening half a tooth disintegrated as I ate. Why do such things always happen at or just before a weekend? At the moment, there is no pain, which is how things will stay, I hope, until I can get to the dentist next week.

I like the photo of the Big Goods loco, a child of a proper railway.

Nobody can say anything derogatory about a classic DMU that would upset me and as for Pacers, Sprinters and the things that have followed them say what you like as it is open season as far as I am concerned.

• Like 4

My beloved Class  108's these and the 105's have to be my favorite DMU's.

Gun's  must remind you of your past life Gilbert as they do me living in the smoke in the late 60's & early 70's and seeing them exchanged in Public House  Gent's was a rather chilling experience around Middle Row and a certain part of the East side

(Know what I mean ). 

See no evil hear no evil. I once  aciddently  knocked a guys elbow when he was carrying a tray of drinks away from the bar and he apologised. I was almost moist around the nether regions as he was one of the guys who minutes earlier had done some trading in the Gent's whilst I was discharging.I accepted his apology and he bought me,my mate and our two ladies a drink whilst he re-ordered his spilt round.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

My beloved Class  108's these and the 105's have to be my favorite DMU's.

Gun's  must remind you of your past life Gilbert as they do me living in the smoke in the late 60's & early 70's and seeing them exchanged in Public House  Gent's was a rather chilling experience around Middle Row and a certain part of the East side

(Know what I mean ). 

See no evil hear no evil. I once  aciddently  knocked a guys elbow when he was carrying a tray of drinks away from the bar and he apologised. I was almost moist around the nether regions as he was one of the guys who minutes earlier had done some trading in the Gent's whilst I was discharging.I accepted his apology and he bought me,my mate and our two ladies a drink whilst he re-ordered his spilt round.

I saw plenty of guns as exhibits and in photographs, Derek, but fortunately not up close and personal as you describe.

• Like 2

I think London was safer in those days than it is today. These people were what I would describe as career criminals and would never want trouble in there local Boozer or on their Manor and so afterwards on the first ocassion I talked about it with my mate Pat whose local it was and  realised  that I was never in any danger. the second time I was less scared, although still shocked.

As recently as 1995 I was driving a new work colleague over Waterloo bridge and there were Met Police officers with Sub machine guns ? (No Expert) on both sides of the road for about 100 yards. and Norman remarked that they were filming the "Bill". when  I told him that this was for real he was flabbergasted and so I told him why I kept my car doors locked in London & Mosside  amongst other places as they were dangerous he seemed to take it on board. Several weeks later he had his Blazer and Wallet stolen off the back seat of his car whilst stopped at traffic lights in Deptford.

I once again expanded on the dangers of London to this man of Kent. however a few weeks later he had his Briefcase & Mobile phone pinched off the front passenger seat  in another area of London (which I forget) but then kept his car doors locked.

irronically ,one of his main accounts were the Met Police.:o:D

Sorry Gilbert for this Diversion to Weekend workings. Normal Service now resumes.

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Dark and dismal all day, with pouring rain for most of it, and then about a quarter of an hour before sunset, the b***** sun came out. Only briefly, of course. This means the image store in nearly bare, but we still do have a last shot of the J6.

1867292368_4atrest.JPG.d8dacf08b25440d9fbaab7c31fe9935d.JPG

Locos were not normally permitted to stand under the roof, but this train is so short it would surely have pulled up in this sort of area.

Then we have another Scottish visitor. This was the last one to be pulled out of Eric's Tardis like bag.

23_diesel.JPG.37ab6033e09c33c9d5d4b24b2e7f5140.JPG

I don't know what it is, but I bet Clive can tell us.

Hi Gilbert

It is a North British 0-4-0 200hp, from the second batch which were allocated to the ScR, residents of sheds around the Edinburgh area. I started building one years ago but it is still not finished. 

I have built one of the first batch which looks a little different. They were based at Hartlepool for most of their operating life, moving to Goole before withdrawal.

100_5869a.jpg.b43cbcf599a8752203102e54af385202.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On 25/10/2019 at 22:09, great northern said:

Tonight, we have a Derby Lightweight Diesel Multiple Unit arriving from Skegness. I am now very careful not to introduce such visitors in a way which might be considered derogatory, as I have no wish to upset Clive.

1712347901_17DMU.JPG.86bf2a61f84211b90e03538aa33e5e77.JPG

There is also now a 4F at Platform 6, which will soon head off to Leicester.

786418670_184F.JPG.3403cda26895c1dc3fce09a5da1b8e9f.JPG

PN is so beautifully realised that the sudden insertion of a new-fangled DMU gives rise in me to the same feelings that must have arisen on the railways in 1958: here is the new, The Modern, in such contrast to the previous procession of tired and often run-down steam-hauled trains. The shock of the new, no matter all the faults we later came to find. And I rather like the aesthetics of the Derby Lightweights with their cathedral windows. 

Paul

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Another look at 60119 is our first image today.

449271403_51192.JPG.0c57f0c2aa2291bc8f19c566e0c746fe.JPG

and then we concentrate on the Midland coaches in the 5.57 to Kings Lynn. We saw the inevitable Ivatt in the bay earlier. I gave this a sky, but a much more noticeable one than I've used lately. Views welcome, is that OK, or do you prefer something more neutral?

6_LMS.JPG.26083f18aaef6e38cea5f69dd8acedd1.JPG

8 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Variations in the sky, of that order, add realism. But not a lot more - so pending storms detract from the main focus of the picture. 

I think that grey, but probably dry, day looks just right.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1