Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Gilbert,

I have run trains this evening. I didn't last night as I was at the model railway club, but I did have an afternoon session yesterday which was most enjoyable. Not too sure if I will tomorrow but I am off to the Spalding Show for inspiration.

Spalding show? I though it was next weekend, because it usually is, so I've got other things on, and won't be able to get there. My regards to all present.

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

There is a significant number of plonkers on RMweb, Gilbert, but IMHO you are not among them. I hope this helps.  

But I cannot tell a lie Ian. I plonked the camera down in that spot, so what does that make me, in this context anyway? Perhaps placed would have been a better word, but there we are.

We also have plenty in the golf club, by the way.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

22 hours ago, great northern said:

A nice quiet day, though there was a need to revisit the law of contract involved. It is only 53 years since I sat my Law Society exam, so I had remembered some of it. Invitation to treat, for anyone interested.

The Compound looks a treat as it waits for the guard's whistle.

900721154_611572.JPG.7e702e9515ab8d86c6ac0a9ac00241b5.JPG

but this one strikes me as a trifle boring.

1830653305_16corner.JPG.88a62a920fef6e2412b87f3ee160469c.JPG

Invitation to treat ? Has that old trouble maker Mrs Carlill been on about a rebate on her cheap day return to Cleethorpes again , or are you involved with some private owner wagons from the Carbolic Smoke Ball Company ? ;)

More importantly , a question if I may about the Derby Lightweight you showed running in from Skegness a couple of pages back. Was that a bit of modellers licence or do you have a record of Derby Lightweights running in Lincolnshire in 1958? The reason I ask is that according to some sources ( e.g . Railcar UK)  all the Derby Lightweights had left Lincolnshire by about April 1957 but my memory tells me I saw them running through Market Rasen , which couldn’t have been earlier than the early sixties. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

Invitation to treat ? Has that old trouble maker Mrs Carlill been on about a rebate on her cheap day return to Cleethorpes again , or are you involved with some private owner wagons from the Carbolic Smoke Ball Company ? ;)

More importantly , a question if I may about the Derby Lightweight you showed running in from Skegness a couple of pages back. Was that a bit of modellers licence or do you have a record of Derby Lightweights running in Lincolnshire in 1958? The reason I ask is that according to some sources ( e.g . Railcar UK)  all the Derby Lightweights had left Lincolnshire by about April 1957 but my memory tells me I saw them running through Market Rasen , which couldn’t have been earlier than the early sixties. 

A golf club member who has been giving us grief did not have his membership renewed. He thought we couldn't do that. He was wrong.

By 1958 Lincolnshire had a lot of 114s, but my memory tells me I still travelled on Derby lightweights, the view from behind the driver being spectacular. I may of course be wrong.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great northern said:

A golf club member who has been giving us grief did not have his membership renewed. He thought we couldn't do that. He was wrong.

By 1958 Lincolnshire had a lot of 114s, but my memory tells me I still travelled on Derby lightweights, the view from behind the driver being spectacular. I may of course be wrong.

Good evening, Gilbert. I have just consulted the following book. ‘Lightweight DMU’s, The Early Derby Works And Metro Cammell Units’ by Evan Green-Hughes. On page 32, it states the first three sets went from Lincolnshire to East Anglia on the first class 114’s arriving, but it took two years before all of the lightweights had been transferred to E. Anglia. That will help to explain your memory of being sat behind the driver and enjoying the  view after 1957. I hope this is of some help.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, Gilbert. I have just consulted the following book. ‘Lightweight DMU’s, The Early Derby Works And Metro Cammell Units’ by Evan Green-Hughes. On page 32, it states the first three sets went from Lincolnshire to East Anglia on the first class 114’s arriving, but it took two years before all of the lightweights had been transferred to E. Anglia. That will help to explain your memory of being sat behind the driver and enjoying the  view after 1957. I hope this is of some help.

Best regards,

Rob.

Thanks Rob. That is very helpful, and quite reassuring too.

• Informative/Useful 1

According to the Railway Observer of the time, the Derby Lighweights left Lincoln between August 1956, when the first three went to Norwich, and March 1957, when most of them went to Gorton.  One lonely set, 79034+79250, spent five months at Lincoln between February and July 1957 in the process of moving from Stratford to Norwich.

Chris  

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Good morning, Gilbert. About those DMU’s. I’ve just read through the chapter on the Railcar website, about the Lightweights In Lincolnshire, and, as stated earlier on, the information given there varies from the book I gave information from last night. I’m now unsure which is right, but certainly there were Peterborough to Ely services worked by the Lightweights into the early sixties, as well as the Peterborough North to Cambridge services. There may well have been some Lincoln services worked by them up to perhaps 1960. I will continue to look around in books especially. But it would appear, as far as allocations are concerned, they may have departed from Lincolnshire by late 1957. 

It’s certainly an interesting story, and perhaps one day a book might be written about it. I’m just wondering, when the class 114’s had to have the more powerful Leyland engines fitted, if some Lightweights were used as cover for them. I’ll look into that too.

Best regards,

Rob.

Edit.  I think this is what is being looked for. I’ve just been reading the Lightweights allocations in the book: British Railways Motive Power Allocations 1948 - 1968. Part Seven. Diesel Railcars and Multiple Units. By Jim Grindlay.

On page 101, the following unit, E79037 + E79253 is shown as allocated to Lincoln in 1959. It was allocated to Norwich, 32A by 1960. So, hopefully, this is a puzzle finally solved. You must have had a journey on this unit before it was transferred to Norwich.

I think I’ll go and lay down for a while in a darkened room for a while now! ;)

Edited by Market65
To give additional information.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

DLW units were common in the Cambridge area in the early 60s. Personal observation confirms they routinely worked as far as PBN,

We had 2 types of dmu at Cambridge** - Yellow Diamond (DLW & early M/C); & Blue square (Cravens, Wickham). As far as I could establish at the time, the classes within each type were used indiscriminately, though the M/c sets were more "East Anglia" services rather than N & W, which did commonly see DLW.  However I can't be certain whether YD sets were used on the same diagrams as BS sets, on different days?

**Cambridge had one of the few dmu depots in the Anglia area, and sets worked cyclic diagrams all over the area, returning back to base after a few days. Units were allocated to each of the depots, but I never saw any shedplates or other form of id fitted, so can't say if a unit was a Cambridge one or from one of the other depots. East Anglia was a boring place in the early 60s. basically these dmus, a large class of Brush 2 locos and 30 EE type 3 covered the whole area.

Stewart

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

I have the summer 1959 dmu diagrams for the Great Eastern section, courtesy of Robert Carroll.  The later, blue square, sets were described as "Cravens or Wickham" and the Derby lightweights as "lightweight unit (1st class type)".  The Metro-Cammell sets were described as "Metro-Cammell sets" and were second class only.  The Met-Camms and the Derby lightweights could and did work together.  Whether a diagram was to be worked by a blue square set or a yellow diamond set was specified and there was no alternation between those types.

In summer 1959 a Derby lightweight on diagram 61, Saturdays excepted, worked the 4.0 pm Cambridge to Peterborough North, arr 5.21 pm, and the 6.33 pm to Cambridge.  Workings did vary from timetable to timetable and for all I know, which isn't much, a turn booked for a blue square unit in summer 1959 may have been worked by a yellow diamond set in winter 58-59 or winter 59-60. 

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, great northern said:

Would you like a look at some nice opulent pullman cars?

1985667405_3cars.JPG.96818411697c610a967a249dcc4bea43.JPG

Next we have a well used view, but there has always been a train involved. This just gives a detail shot of the infrastructure, and features that van in the bay which never seems to go anywhere.

1575805541_21detail.JPG.fae52af9d86fc67617f6730c9087dca7.JPG

Dat was all us poor people could do, was look at them, clean them and serve our betters who travelled on them. Come the glorious day even the posh will travel on hard plastic seats with very little cushion, viva la revolution!!!!!:yahoo:

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Dat was all us poor people could do, was look at them, clean them and serve our betters who travelled on them. Come the glorious day even the posh will travel on hard plastic seats with very little cushion, viva la revolution!!!!!:yahoo:

From what I read about the latest new trains, I though they already were.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7